Question HostMySite, Bandwidth per month...Uptime?...opinions

Hi everyone. After having read some good things in many review sites, I am considered them and having an interest to them but have some questions first. The search didn't give me adequate information on my questions, so those of you that are HostMySite customers or know things about them, please have a look and comment.

The first question is whether their bandwidth (GB per month) is real and not overselling. With $19.95 setup and $2.95/mo (paid annually) they offer you 250GB per month bandwidth!! Also they offer pretty much everything else (except ded. IP,SSH,and Ruby). Now considering the views of many well known hosts here in WHT, this must be extreme overselling and possibly might not be offered in the excuse of "slowing down other sites etc etc. When I asked them if that much bandwidth can really be used up with no suspending and other excuses, they said to me that definately this GBs is given, with no excuses or hidden costs etc...

It really seems a big number to me so if someone has an account with them and has used much of their bandwidth please tell us.

Now, the thing that made me think hard and at last disappointed me was their uptime as "defined by them". You'll see what I mean by that.

When I asked them what their uptime was they told me it was 99,999%!! I said wow, very nice, because there are very little companies I have heard such a number of. So I was happy about that and ready to sign up.

After a while I accidentaly came across an article in HyperSpin Monitoring service site, that was giving HostMySite a 99.481% !!! uptime, putting them #119 on the list.

Link: http://www.hyperspin.com/ranking.php?type=1

I called back and quoted this figure to them and asked what was true 99,999 or 99,481%? They told me that external monitoring is not accurate... Well, I felt like an idiot. I told them what is wrong with external monitoring? They told me that although a site might be inaccessible to the world, the the internal network of HostMySite is still considered UPTIME. I replied that I dont understand and how is that possible a site being DOWN to be considered UP?

Their reply was that some services might restart for a couple of minutes and is not considered as downtime. I disagreed of cource, as to my humble opinion this is still downtime no matter the reason what. I said it to them and they replied that if I cannot afford some minutes of service restart then they could offer me dedicated plan, this is funny as I told them from the start that I am interesting for the shared and specifically for the $2,95 plan....

Anyway, I replied that 99,481% is not "some minutes" but actually an average of roughly 3,75 HOURS a month. Their reaction was to say to me that they don't trust external sources as they havent told them how was that achieved...

I asked for some official report, and I will wait until its e-mailed to me.

Honestly, I cannot really understand what is the right definition of Uptime...Theirs or mine?

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think that for whatever reason if a site is inaccessible is considered to be down...

I hope I am wrong, because I really liked their plan, if they deliver what they promise, so if you are a customer please let me/us know.

Regards

Hi,

You will find that most hosts do oversell now a days but usually in a controlled enviornment or their terms of service clearly states the amount of resources you can use in terms of memory and such. You can read more about this at whreviews.com and also you can do a search of Overselling on Google to find some results to read about.

The truth is you wont know until you try their service but a $19.95 setup fee for a shared hosting package is a bit much so you need to calculate that into your monthly fee and so on.

Good luck with your search.
    █• Taskade - To-Do List & Tasks All-in-One To-Do List & Mind Map App for Remote Teams
    █• Simple and shareable to-do lists for web, mobile, and desktop
    █• To-Do List Templates 300+ shareable templates and productivity workflows
    █• Get things done, faster and smarter! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

Thanks Citrex. I know that some controlled overselling is not bad. E.g. with Pair which I think is a host of proved quality, you get 80GB of bandwidth(for $17.95/mo I think) which is quite big, but here (with HostMySite) its a lot different, ie 250GB for much less money per month. Basically I will never need that much, but if someones knows that they provide good service as well, its a good thing.

The thing is that I can't really know the thing about uptime. Did anyone who read my post have a clue about what is the right "definition" about uptime?

You Citrex, have any idea? I mean even if a site is down for maintenance purposes, this is still going to affect the uptime report, is that the case?

I can't really find much feedback about them here in the WHT. Except one outage they had due a construction accident, and one user's negative review, I cant find any thorough review of their quality of services....

totos, here's the definition of uptime in Internet:
    Uptime is a measure of the time a computer system has been up and running. It came into use to describe the opposite of downtime, times when a system was non-operational.
    So, I think you're right when you said that when your site is inaccessible for the world it's downtime. In my humble opinion this hosting tries to confuse you aiming at having you as a customer, takes your money and then tells you that they told you all about it.
    I consider this hosting can't be trustful when they start their activity like this.
    As for me I wouldn't be in touch with them. Their position puts me on my guard.

Hey dannyy thanks, thats what exactly I thought after I was told what I described.

Imediately I lost any trust I had to them, as one time I was told they have 99,999% uptime (which is extraordinary) and the other a number of 99,481% came to my knowledge.

I agree with you, that its not very possible to sign up with such a host...

250gb / month would cost the hosting company more than $2.95 / month anyway.. not taking in to account all the resources using that ammount of transfer would use...
    Clear case of overselling.

www.NT-Hosts.net
    Shared Hosting - Reseller - Email Hosting - Forum Hosting - Linux server admins
    Phone: 07092898178 - Fax: 07092898179 - Email:Sales@NT-Hosts.net

I asked them and they told me they provide what they promise . Also they told me they don't have hard limits and just keep an eye on servers for overloading, is it good or bad.

Someone could say that since most of the users don't use most of their bandwidth, a host could afford providing this "overselling" quantity of bandwidth to a small portion of users that might use it...

But still, if a host says that you can have 250gb of transfer, then they should live up to that, they would be royaly screwed if these accounts that didn't use the full 250gb all started to use it.
    In this business you can't say "well they dont use all their transfer, lets sell it to someone else and hope they dont need it", you never know whats going to happen.
    www.NT-Hosts.net

Being a short-time HostMySite customer a couple of years ago - the sales rep that I spoke to told me (effectively, I'm paraphrasing here) that I could use as much bandwidth as I want and they wouldn't really care. Granted, this was a dedicated box.

Quote Originally Posted by NTHosts
    But still, if a host says that you can have 250gb of transfer, then they should live up to that, they would be royaly screwed if these accounts that didn't use the full 250gb all started to use it.
    In this business you can't say "well they dont use all their transfer, lets sell it to someone else and hope they dont need it", you never know whats going to happen.
    I agree with NTHosts, you really don't know what may occur. Today you use not much transfer but tomorrow you need use much more and the host can't supply you with it, your site is down, so you lose your money. It's not good for your business.

What exactly is that hyperspin article 'monitoring'. When a company has hundreds of shared webservers, ranging from linux plans to Windows plans with ColdFusion and MS SQL databases, I think it would be erroneous to think you can monitor 1 server and paint an accurate portrayal on a company.

Why don't you run a few traces to ipblocks that HostMySite owns and test their network performance?

It might not be accurate but might be suggestive of the host's uptime. Even if one server has a bad uptime, that's not a good sign...Consider all these customers on that server...What will they say? Its alright for us since our hosts have other servers working better?

This is a kind of a sampling procedure. You take a couple of servers and monitor them, then then you can draw or at least have some clue about the host's uptime...

Quote Originally Posted by NTHosts
    Why not, the cell phone company does this. Many other webhosts practice this model. If you're really so unsure get a dedicated server.

Yes but whatever model this be, the hosts must be able to deliver what promised....

I just signed up with these guys. I hope they are as good as the reviews suggest.

Just for the record, HyperSpin is a very reliable source. If HostMySite decides to restart services HyperSpin offers a "maintenance period" which doesn't count toward downtime.

I agree, I love HyperSpin
    www.NT-Hosts.net

Quote Originally Posted by MrRadic
    Just for the record, HyperSpin is a very reliable source. If HostMySite decides to restart services HyperSpin offers a "maintenance period" which doesn't count toward downtime.
    Wouldn't that make the whole statistic suspicious?
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

August outage

Wouldn't that make the whole statistic suspicious?
    Most of their downtime comes from their big outage in August - what us clients call "The chainsaw massacre". To their credit, they didn't try to cover it up, and posted updates and photos. They handled the situation very well, and the CEO even gave out his phone number if customers wished to contact him. IT can happen to any host. But anyway, with 100 incoming calls and emails every second, the last thing a host would think of is scheduling a hyperspin maintenence period.

Quote Originally Posted by MrRadic
    I don't agree, either, with this practice....

Because Uptime Statistics show for how long a hosting system is up and running, thus having the sites hosted accessible to the world......

So even if a maintenance is taking place, these systems are down for q certain period of time, and NOT serving the sites to the world/Internet.....So the Uptime stats are biased is such a case....

A good company that wants to do maintenance, should place the sites to another functioning machine, do the maintenance, and then get the sites back to the original server....That is. with spare servers this can be down without the sites stop functioning, and THIS IS a HONEST UPTIME.....

Reliability

I'd like to point out that the datacenter where we experienced the fiber cut is in the process of being decomissioned. Everything there is being transitioned into our newest facility (which we designed and built) which has multiple redundant fiber entrances, parallel redundant 625KVA Liebert UPS units, and parallel redundant generators (1.5 MW capacity). Everything has been designed for maximum redundancy and uptime.

As to the question of overselling - we guarantee that you will get what you pay for without question. We may not make money on it if you use everything we provide, but we have the resources to stand behind it without question. It's just the competitive nature of our business that drives us to put aggressive offers out there. We hope that you will be a long term customer that will grow into other services such as VPS, dedicated, etc...