Please Help with Paypal Chargeback !!

I sold something on Ebay and there was this one user who bought 5 of my items using different paypal emails for every transaction ...I was suspicious at first but then I had to send my items to him since I got my money through paypal ...and now a month later I have 5 chargebacks from paypal saying buyer did not authorize the payment.

The bad thing is I don't have the tracking # to prove to paypal ... I only have positive feedbacks from the buyer saying "you're the best" on ebay but that doesn't mean anything to paypal ...

I emailed him and threatened to report to the police but I know there's really nothing I can do ... I know i'm going to lose $$ no matter what but I want to teach this guy a lesson ... (I have his home address) ... What can I do? Please help me... These people should be in jail for at least a month .... It just sucks knowing he will probably do this to other people and nothing will happen to him ...

..can I report him to the police?? What can the police do?
    Grrrrr i'm so upset
    ]

Why would you send your item before the payment has been cleared ?

I am sorry to say this but it is not good practice.

I don't know how much you loose on that but it may not worth the price, fighting for a few hundreds.

G
    PutFile.io — Disrupting traditional file hosting.
    █ Signup Early and enjoy Unlimited space/bandwidth for your files hosting, Forever!
    █ No Ads.
    █ No Countdowns.

Quote Originally Posted by Googled
    Why would you send your item before the payment has been cleared ?

I am sorry to say this but it is not good practice.

I don't know how much you loose on that but it may not worth the price, fighting for a few hundreds.

G
    I'm pretty sure he waited until the payment was cleared. Buyer probably used stolen PayPal accounts and PayPal reversed all the charges.
    InterNich LLC
    Founder

Bringing you PicResize.com (More than 95 million pictures resized since 2005)

Quote Originally Posted by Kristine
    I want to teach this guy a lesson ... (I have his home address) ... What can I do? Please help me... These people should be in jail for at least
    Don't report this to police. Take justice into your own hands (along with the baseball bat).

Seriously though, you should cooperate with Paypal fully about this. Give them everything you know about this guy (incl. all correspondence and, of course, his home address). Let THEM report this to police.

BTW, what kind of amount we are talking here about?
    Respect My Authoritah! - Eric Cartman (a friend of mine).

Lesson learned here, but if you're suspicious about a transaction - - refund the payment and don't send the item.

At this point, you're probably out of luck.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Where were the packages sent to?

thanks all for your replies...paypal sucks! I called them up and they said there was nothing they could do ..
    I lost my items & lost my $$ + paypal's fee for reversed all the charges ... PAYPAL SUCKS. They don't do anything to protect sellers like me!!

Packages were sent to Oregon -- I'm going to fly to Oregon with a baseball bat like Stan Marsh suggested ....

grrr i'm so mad. I've never had any problems with paypal for 5 years until now
    ]

Quote Originally Posted by Kristine
    thanks all for your replies...paypal sucks! I called them up and they said there was nothing they could do ..
    I lost my items & lost my $$ + paypal's fee for reversed all the charges ... PAYPAL SUCKS. They don't do anything to protect sellers like me!!

Packages were sent to Oregon -- I'm going to fly to Oregon with a baseball bat like Stan Marsh suggested ....

grrr i'm so mad. I've never had any problems with paypal for 5 years until now

Paypal doesn't suck. ALL payment processors will reverse the charges on fraudulant transactions. They aren't going to eat the loss because you made an unwise decision to ship the items on a fairly obvious fraudulant order.

--Tina
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Quote Originally Posted by Nich
    I'm pretty sure he waited until the payment was cleared. Buyer probably used stolen PayPal accounts and PayPal reversed all the charges.

you're correct ...
    ]

Quote Originally Posted by AH-Tina
    Paypal doesn't suck. ALL payment processors will reverse the charges on fraudulant transactions. They aren't going to eat the loss because you made an unwise decision to ship the items on a fairly obvious fraudulant order.

--Tina

Yep your right, when doing business on-line and dealing with on-line processors the seller is always responsible for fraudulant orders. No matter if you agree or not. You are out the items and the money. Really nothing you can do except contact the local police department where the person lives. Contact as in, call them up and talk to an investigator and file an official report.
    www.JGRoboMarketing.com / "Automate. Grow. Repeat"
    █ Office: (800) 959-0182 / A KEAP Certified Developer (KCD)

Yeah, Paypal will almost always side with the buyer. Selling online can be quite risky for that reason.

For anything over $50, I'd recommend you do not accept Paypal. Do money order only.

Quote Originally Posted by Jongasm

For anything over $50, I'd recommend you do not accept Paypal. Do money order only.
    Why? You'll lose a considerable amount of sales by cutting out one of the most widely accepted methods of payment. Accepting Paypal is not very risky, but you do have to take measures to protect yourself...like anything in life, really.

--Tina

Not in my experience. Despite accepting money orders, my items still sold for the same as other similar items.

Although if it is not a popular item, then not offering Paypal will hurt your sale, indeed.

Even with a lot of proof, Paypal has many a time still sided with the buyer. I just prefer to cut out the middle man and go direct with money order. It's the safest route for the seller.

You could also make it so Paypal has no way of getting the money back from you, so even if the buyer does a chargeback, too bad. I wouldn't do this unless you have very good proof of what you sold though.

Why? You'll lose a considerable amount of sales by cutting out one of the most widely accepted methods of payment. Accepting Paypal is not very risky, but you do have to take measures to protect yourself...like anything in life, really.

--Tina
    I couldn't agree more. I regularly buy some nice gear on Ebay (APC's, cisco 6500's, linecards, kvm over ip modules, etc.), and I've closed less then 0.5% of transactions using anything other then PayPal/Mastercard/Visa (and of those, most were using escrow.com). I've only ever closed one hardware purchase from an unknown using a money order, and in that case, the vendor was a friend of a friend, and shipped the items first, as he had extensive history with said friend.

To boot, because I'm Canadian, our PayPal account cannot resolve to a US address (though our Ebay registered address does, so it cannot confirm the address, but PayPal tells people to ship regardless). I provide my full name, personal address, landline phone #, and personal email address to anyone who is suspicious. Frankly, if a seller cannot trust me enough to take a secure payment method, with reasonable recourse from me, why should I trust them far enough to send them a money order/check/wire transfer, to which I have no recourse?
    Myles Loosley-Millman - admin@prioritycolo.com
    Priority Colo Inc. - Affordable Colocation & Dedicated Servers.
    Two Canadian facilities serving Toronto & Markham, Ontario
    http://www.prioritycolo.com

--Tina
    I also agree again. When accepting payments of anything over that you think is a lot of money.. call the people. Verify its legit. I'm sure one phone call would of explained the situation. I have killed probably hundreds of fraud orders in the last few years by just picking up the phone and seeing if the person was legit. Why can't can't people pick up phones anymore?
    www.JGRoboMarketing.com / "Automate. Grow. Repeat"
    █ Office: (800) 959-0182 / A KEAP Certified Developer (KCD)

Yeah, phone verifying is a good idea.

I'm not saying that accepting Paypal is bad. I accept Paypal for most of my items too, and I take careful steps to protect myself. Even still, there are ways for buyers to screw you using Paypal. But if you want to be extra safe as a seller, then money order is a good way to go.

And Paypal is annoying in the sense that if one buyer makes a dispute, they freeze your whole account, and eBay may too which will disrupt all of your other auctions.