Exclamation Upgrading Raq3 to Raq 550

I have just tried to upgrade my raq 3 to raq 550 OS. When I booted up the raq3 after placing the raq 550 disc in my pc, it said i needed the latest firmware. So I selected 3.10.1 (i think it was that) it then flashed the rom and said reboot.
    So I rebooted the PC and the raq and tried to start the install procedure.
    Now when I try to start the raq I get:
    Sun Cobalt at the top, a clock on the left and a block which moves from right to left.
    I went over to the PC and used alt+f8 to see what was happening and I get:
    sep 27 15:56:06 tester dhcpd-2.2.x: Sending on Socket/fallback/fallback-net

Any ideas how I can get this sorted?

Thanks

The clock and bouncing block mean your ROM flash worked. Now, if you didn't, you need to select "Net Boot" from the front-panel buttons, which you can do by holding down the "S" button and then navigating with the arrows and "E" through the LCD menu. You need to be sure that your sending computer has an approved LAN card (many do not) and that you are using a crossover cable (are the lights on both LANs green?). If all these things are true, it should work.

The error you got (a DHCP error) implies something wrong with the network link.

This page: http://the.taoofmac.com/space/HOWTO/...%20to%20RAQ550 might help.

Exclamation Upgrading Raq3 to Raq 550

Quote Originally Posted by gnetwerker
    The clock and bouncing block mean your ROM flash worked. Now, if you didn't, you need to select "Net Boot" from the front-panel buttons, which you can do by holding down the "S" button and then navigating with the arrows and "E" through the LCD menu. You need to be sure that your sending computer has an approved LAN card (many do not) and that you are using a crossover cable (are the lights on both LANs green?). If all these things are true, it should work.

The error you got (a DHCP error) implies something wrong with the network link.

This page: http://the.taoofmac.com/space/HOWTO/...%20to%20RAQ550 might help.
    I have done the boot from net part, after I do that I get the clock and bouncing block. I have the linksys network card which should work.
    I have being trying for the last 3 days, i have two raq3's so i'm currently swapping parts around see what I can do.

If anyone else has any suggestions, let me know.

Thanks

I swapped everything around and I just got the same, but when I swapped the power supply over I just got a line of blocks when I powered it up. So I have swapped it back.

So this is what I have done so far:
    Booted PC with Raq 550 restore disc
    Booted raq3 (boot from net)
    Updated firmware (3.10.1)
    Rebooted PC, then raq 3. When booted raq I get a battery symbol thing on the left the bricks fill up, then i get a clock on he left and a brick moving from side to side (it gets stuck there when trying to restore using raq 550)

Anyone got any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by jm-computers
    I swapped everything around and I just got the same, but when I swapped the power supply over I just got a line of blocks when I powered it up. So I have swapped it back.

So this is what I have done so far:
    Booted PC with Raq 550 restore disc
    Booted raq3 (boot from net)
    Rebooted PC, then raq 3. When booted raq I get a battery symbol thing on the left the bricks fill up, then i get a clock on he left and a brick moving from side to side (it gets stuck there when trying to restore using raq 550)

Anyone got any ideas?
    You need to connect a null-modem cable to minicom or hyperterminal on a PC 115200 baud, no parity, no handshake, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit.

The terminal will display the boot process, Save the output and post it.

Was it supposed to be 2.10.1??
    Usually when I see that happening it was because of HDD failure, but let us know the output from hyperterminal so we would know where exactly it hangs.
    -=- GQ Hong -=-
    GalacNet WebMaster

Ok, I'm away at the moment, so once I'm back I will do that.

I have a serial to rj-45 cable, would that work?
    Or does it have to be a null-modem cable?

I changed the HDD but still didn’t work.

The raq3 was upgraded to raq4, now I’m trying to upgrade to raq550 but doesn’t work.

Firmware 2.10.1

Thanks

Are you trying to use a Cisco Console Cable? I have no knowledge on that, I usually use a null-modem cable.

As for RaQ550, there are 2 types.... one is for the 1M rom and the other is the 2M rom.... make sure you are using the right one. The one from Sun that was meant for a real RaQ550 may not work.
    -=- GQ Hong -=-
    GalacNet WebMaster

Yes its a Cisco Console Cable, I have just ordered a null modem cable. Once that arrives I will post the results.

Quote Originally Posted by gwaugh
    You need to connect a null-modem cable to minicom or hyperterminal on a PC 115200 baud, no parity, no handshake, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit.

The terminal will display the boot process, Save the output and post it.
    I connected the null-modem cable and watched the results, it got stuck at the following:

Checking partitions
    hda:

So I swapped the HD over from my other raq3 and it worked.

The other HD went back in the raq3 and raq4 is installed on that.

Does anyone know why raq550 would not install on the original HD even when there is nothing wrong with it?

Does anyone know why raq550 would not install on the original HD even when there is nothing wrong with it?
    Loose connectors, weak power-supply, borderline bad disk, LBA24/LBA48 incompatibility, maybe other reasons ....

See http://www.hockin.org/~thockin/cobalt-hack-faq.html

Q: What size disks can I put in my Cobalt?
    A: All Cobalt systems used LBA24 disk controllers. This means that the
    largest disks you can put into a Cobalt are approximately 137 GB. Even
    if you put LBA48 capable disks into your system, it will not work. In
    fact, putting LBA48 disks on an LBA24 controller may cause some kernel
    version not to boot at all (see 'My Cobalt hangs at "Partition check:"').

Q: My Cobalt hangs at "Partition check:". Why is this?
    A: The only known cause of this is an alignment of couple things. Firstly,
    you put LBA48 capable disks into your Cobalt (e.g. ATA133). Secondly,
    you are trying to boot a 2.4.19 kernel. The 2.4.19 kernel was the first
    kernel to introduce LBA48 support. However, it did not handle the case
    of an LBA48 disk on an LBA24 controller (such as in Cobalts) very well.
    The result is that the kernel is trying to send LBA48 messages to the
    disk, but not getting any reply, and hanging when it tries to read the
    disk. You can either use LBA24 (e.g. ATA100) disks, or you can revert to
    a kernel before 2.4.19, or you can get a kernel newer than 2.4.19, if one
    is available.

Quote Originally Posted by gnetwerker
    Loose connectors, weak power-supply, borderline bad disk, LBA24/LBA48 incompatibility, maybe other reasons ....

See http://www.hockin.org/~thockin/cobalt-hack-faq.html
    The disk is the original (20GB ATA100 & cable)

I would think the restore cd can't make a partition as big as the 550 was made with.

Don't know how this worked out for you, jm-computers. What is missing from here is that the RackStar OS and the StrongBolt OS are both superior to the 550 OS, with more modern versions of almost everything (Apache, PHP, Perl, MySql, etc, etc). The Raq3 and raq4 OSs are based on very old Linux kernels, and have to be patched like crazy to make them even marginally secure.

At the moment, I run Raq3/4 (hw) systems on all OSs -- Raq3, Raq4, Raq550, Rackstar, and StrongBolt. The Rackstar has the advantage that is virtually indistinguishable from the 550 OS, and can run most of its packages with a little tweaking. The disadvantage is that the default install mode requires pulling a disk (no net install, though someone may have cracked that code).

Strongbolt (CentOS + BlueQuartz) is the 550 control panel layered on top of a more standard Linux system, but has the disadvantage that they was real money for the installer/disk image.

In both cases they need up-to-date ROM installs, but you've already done that.

I will say this is the best forum for discussing the issue. The Rackstar and StrongbBolt forums are (sensibly) focused on serving the users of those systems, and the other main Raq 3/Raq 4 board (Zeffie's) doesn't fairly represent these options. <edited gbjbaanb - unnecessary>
    Last edited by gbjbaanb; 10-21-2006 at 10:05 AM.

Thanks for that, I'm going to try the rackstar OS
    Last edited by gbjbaanb; 10-21-2006 at 10:05 AM.

Thanks for that, I'm going to try the rackstar OS
    Good luck. One thing to remember is that Rackstar requires you to pull the disk, install in a standard PC, and run their installer from CD-ROM, which is a major PITA compared to a net install. There is a guy on their forum who claims to have done an install with PXE and FTP over the net, but hasn't given the details.

So if you have lots of systems to do, that is the primary advantage of the Strongbolt OS, though they want $$ for each system. How they justify that for an installer (everthing else is open source) I do not know :-)

Well for Strongbolt they can't really verify how many systems you install for each CD. I paid for the licenses as a token for their efforts towards creating new life for my old cobalt systems. They have really contributed to the Cobalt community who are still physically on their cobalt hardware.

I tried Rackstar as well, but the interface is a new skin that is not really "bluish" enough for my liking. And of course the process of plugging and unplugging is a real pain.

Its a cobalt, so lets do it the cobalt way
    -=- GQ Hong -=-
    GalacNet WebMaster

I installed Rackstar on the drive, which went to plan. The only thing is when I try and boot the new drive I come across the same error that I did when trying to install the raq 550 OS. It gets stuck here:
    Checking partitions
    hda:

I have a 20gb drive and 40gb both the same make (don’t work with raq), and a 10gb, but the 10gb is too small for rackstar.

I guess I will have to go hunting for a new drive!
    Can anyone give me a few models, which work with raq’s?

Thanks

If you get the U5 or U6 Seagate series it will work since it was made for it.
    Sometimes the checking partitions section can take real long to complete, maybe you should just leave it for a while.
    -=- GQ Hong -=-
    GalacNet WebMaster

I guess I will have to go hunting for a new drive!
    Can anyone give me a few models, which work with raq’s?
    On my 3s and 4s, I have successfully used Maxtor DiamondMax D540X-4D (80gb, 5400 rpm), Western Digital WD400-ED, -BB, and others (40gb, 5400rpm), and certain Seagate 5400 rpm drives (don't have model numbers).

I only use 5400 RPM drives in Raqs -- all my systems have two drives (RAID1) and I've been told the power supplies can't handle two 7600 rpm drives. Also, I use <= 120Gb drives (because of LBA24), and always run the SMART checks (/usr/local/sbin/smartctl) on the drives (since most of them are used when I get them) and toss the ones with too many errors.