Thread: GPS i want one!

GPS i want one!

Any suggestions on what brand? You don't have to pay a monthly fee with them do you?

Also do they all talk to you tell you where to turn etc. The ones i played with in the stores didn't. I want one that can be moved from car to car.

Garmin are the best.

Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    5sterling.com & 9dollars.us - No-frills budget web hosting, VPS, shoutcast and domain names!

If you have a Windows Pocket PC-based device, you can install GPS software on that, then just purchase an external GPS antenna (one that connects using Bluetooth) and you'll have your portable combo

One such device that combines all these features is the HTC P3300 and it includes GPS navigation software from TomTom.

If you want to buy the components individually, I would recommend the following:

The WM5 Device
    GPS Reciever (also conveniently is a handsfree device for safer driving)
    GPS Software

If you would just like a very nice GPS navigation device that is portable, recommend this thing (also includes voice guidance).

One final edit, HTC is a OEM for WM5 devices. You will probably find that the devices that are available on that site, are available from your local service provider. Example, the HTC TynTyn is sold as the T-Mobile MDA II.
    In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.
    If you feel like it, you can read my blog
    Signal > Noise

I just bought a GPS unit for my laptop - Garmin GPS 18 USB - works like a charm. The mapping software is excellent for planning routes and the accuracy of the GPS is amazing.

Plus, for about $120 from Amazon, it is probably the cheapest setup you'll find.
    SuperWebHost.com, a Digitally Justified Company
    Celebrating our 9th year in Business

Proudly Hosting with CANADIAN bandwidth
    Managed Hosting, Multi-Domain Hosting, Colocation, Merchant Accounts

Cars and technology should stay apart... We should all go back to carburetors, there so much easier to work on.

I use a Navman ICN520 (navman.com) and find it to be excellent, it's nice and slim so fits in your pocket when you leave your car.

I'm wating for IGPS... Can not wait..
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

I have to agree with Fyrestrtr, I use a Holux GPSlim236 receiver which uses bluetooth to connect to my Treo700w running CoPilot 6 Live software. I like it way more than the Garmin Street Pilot I used to have.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

Actually the software for phones is really all you need now days with the impovements they have made to their systems and a lot of it is only 10 dollars extra a month.
    Web Host Magazine & Buyers Guide
    Web Host Magazine & Buyer's Guide
    Fair & Objective Reviews, Ratings & Information
    since 1997

I have used Tom Tom phone GPS software and compared to my Garmin it is crap! Used it on a Nokia 6630 about 3 years ago and more recently tried it on a Nokia N70.

It was slow on both handsets, seemed buggy and required a GPS adapter.

Basically, if you want a GPS system, you are best getting something that is built for the job rather then a phone which isnt to be honest.

Future phones like the N95 will have GPS built in, but not atm. Its the same argument as USB vs Ethernet - why use a universal adapter when you can use one thats built solely for the job.

Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    5sterling.com & 9dollars.us - No-frills budget web hosting, VPS, shoutcast and domain names!