What can I expect to pay?

In all honesty I only need the resources of shared hosting at this point, but I could not get the specific setup I needed, so I am thinking of colocating. At this point I only need minimal bandwidth, what do you think the cheapest price I could get at a decent colocation?

You really need to specify where in the world you would like to colocate before people can tell you what you can expect to pay

How much bandwidth is minimal? 256kbps? 1mbps?

How much rackspace?

Where would you like your server? (Any preferred data centers? like equinix?)

If you don't need very much and you don't already have a server to colocate I would suggest checking out VPS servers, you get root access and a guaranteed amount of RAM...you get your own operating system on a server.

Well, I want to colocate in Phoenix, AZ. Currently on my hosting account I was using about 10GB of bandwidth/month. I have my own computer I want to colocate, it will only be running my site, so no worry about others depending on it. It's just a regular box, not a server mount or anything.

At first I was thinking VPS, but this needs to be a windows box, and it needs to run MSSQL Server and ASP.Net. For the price I was unable to find any VPS that completely matched my requirements, I really needed a full server. That being the case I figured it would be cheaper to colocate my server rather than pay several hundred dollars per month renting one.

Tower colocation can be expensive in most facilities. If it were a rackmount you would probably be able to find colo under $40/month since you use such low bandwidth. It would probably be more cost effective to look into a VPS solution.

Some facilities will charge $100+ for a tower because they only support rackmounts and a mid-tower uses ~4U ($25/U average price).

Check out some Dell 1u rack mounts (about $1000-2000 based on config), or check our www.colomachine.com for real budget ranges.

then colocate it (dont forget your software choices will require some fees too).

$100/month is the low end for a colocation 1u (thats reliable with bandwidth), and upwards of $200/month for more bells wistles (24x7 access to the facility in person, more bandwidth, some remote hands time included, maybe a remote backup account, etc).

If you plan to run windows, dont buy a new server with anything under 512 mb ram, I'd really suggest 1 gb minimum since you plan to run windows and databases.

When looking at colo's be sure to ask what quality the bandwidth is (i.e. make sure they have 2 or more carriers, and perhaps are good quality if that is important to you). Also ask to SEE the generator/battery (to make sure they have one!) since that's the most often over looked item in the 'up front pricing' and what you get model - you need protected power to keep that server safe and running.
    TurnKey Internet, Inc : phone 1.518.618.0999 and 1.877.539.4638 | Contact Us
    Cloud Servers | Dedicated Servers | Colocation | VPS | Mail Services | Reseller hosting
    New York / East Coast Green Datacenter

He already has a tower PC and he only uses 10GB a month so I don't think reccommending a $2000 server and colocation is right for him....

Well, since this is only my site, and no one else is depending on it, I'm going to use my server and get a business internet solution run to my house. I have my office there anyway, so I can basically write off the room, and the additional cost of the internet connect is only $50 more per month. Sure it's not a real DC, but I don't have customers relying on it either.

The server that I'm going to be running is an AMD X2 Dual Core processor with 2Gb of Ram. I figure that should be a pretty good web server.