* HeadOn: Apply directly to the forehead!

http://www.slate.com/id/2146382/?nav=tap3 [video]

"HeadOn: Apply directly to the forehead.
    HeadOn: Apply directly to the forehead.
    HeadOn: Apply directly to the forehead."

This has to one of the most annoying commercials. The link has great write up about how "this ad campaign is utter genius. With this one 10-second spot, the makers of HeadOn have torn down all the pretenses that have gummed up the advertising industry for years. Production values? Persuasion? Emotion? Humor (of the intentional kind)? These are stalwarts of the old, outmoded advertising paradigm. The new, head-on (or HeadOn) approach holds that advertising is about blunt force.

It really is sad when you think about the hard work that gets done inside advertising agencies. All the writing and rewriting, the late-night brainstorming, the mining of creativity from the deepest recesses of one's cortex. And then there's the casting, the directing, the high-budget locations. The question we must now ask is: Why bother with any of this? The HeadOn ad is more effective at reaching its goals than 99 percent of the ads on television. And it succeeds on the strength of a few, bare-bones tactics that most advertisers carefully shun."

"Head On" is a brilliant marketing campaign. I'm going to try it the next time I feel a headache coming on, just because they make their product and its application easy to understand. What the hell - I'll give it a try!
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HeadOn

HeadOn is a homeopathic topical headache relief product produced by Miralus Healthcare.[1] Although intended uses are not listed on the website or in the commercial spot, the purported purpose of the product is to assuage head pains after being applied directly to the forehead.[1] Chemical analysis has shown that the product consists almost entirely of wax. The two listed active ingredients, white bryony (a type of vine) and potassium dichromate, are diluted to .000001 PPM and 1 PPM respectively.[2] This amount of dilution essentially leaves no trace of the active ingredients whatsoever, so the product is essentialy a placebo.

I'm a night owl, and this stupid advertisement is on quite often while I'm laying away watching TV. The commercial is so god-awful that I actually get a headache by watching it.

Maybe that's the insidious plan, to give the world headaches with their advertising to increase sales of their products.
    Mike Miller :: Sysprosium Linux Server Management :: sysprosium.com
    20+ years of Linux Administration experience :: Twitter:@Sysprosium
    Server Management :: Managed Backups :: Website Monitoring
    E: sales[at]sysprosium.com :: P: 920.659.0610

I also hate that commercial, CNN used to run it a lot especially during the Israeli-Lebanese war. The network would bombard you with negative images, scare the crap out of viewers by telling them we could be on the verge of WWIII then they took a commercial break, with you guessed it HEAD ON APPLY DIRECTLY TO THE FOREHEAD, HEAD ON APPLY DIRECTLY TO THE FOREHEAD, HEAD ON APPLY DIRECTLY TO THE FOREHEAD <POW> He applied a gun to his forehead, He applied a gun to his forehead, He applied a gun to his forehead.
    Jean-Pierre Abboud / I'm the TekGURU
    www.Gotekky.com / Managed hosting solutions / AS63447
    Web Hosting, VPS Hosting, Dedicated Servers

Quote Originally Posted by the_pm
    I'm going to try it the next time I feel a headache coming on.
    Why? They do not claim that it helps relieve headaches. They don't say anywhere what it's purpose is.

I hate that commercial as well. Maybe it is me, but from seeing it before, I did not know what was it for.

The one that always follows it is the same format and really odd, something like FreeDHom hemroid creme.........

NOOOOOOO!!! I was travelling around the US a couple of months ago and that advert brought me close to striking many hotel TV's!

Quote Originally Posted by Techno
    Why? They do not claim that it helps relieve headaches. They don't say anywhere what it's purpose is.
    Before the 15 second version, there were longer commercials that explained the purpose as a headache reliever. They've made the same connection via billboards. I suppose it would be more accurate for me to say in 15 seconds they've implied its use strongly enough that the viewer inevitably understands what it is for, and you understand how to use the product as well.

I never would have thought about it twice if not for my wife's obsession with Dr. Phil (they are a regular sponsor). Thanks honey
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

Hehe,
    This commercial gets so annoying.
    Head on apply directl........SHUT UP ALREADY!

-Jarrett

The only thing giving me a headache is the commercial.

Quote Originally Posted by Techno
    hmmmm, ya, now that i think about it!
    if you haven't considered chapter 7 bankruptcy, maybe you should.
    eliminate your debt, keep the property you want, most people qualify.
    contrary to popular belief - no attorney is necessary!

hahaha the best is when they do the head-on commercial then right afterwards the product they sell for warts.

They actually have a new one where it starts off with the original Head On commercial, and then it freezes and a 20-some girl walks in front of the screen and mocks the commercial saying, "Head On, apply directly to the forehead, Head On, apply directly to the forehead, Head On, I hate your commercial, but I love your product!"
    JetNet, LLC
    Fast, Reliable, Affordable
    Shared • Reseller • Dedicated
    http://www.jetnethost.com

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroSixty
    NOOOOOOO!!! I was travelling around the US a couple of months ago and that advert brought me close to striking many hotel TV's!
    Interesting - I have not seen the commercial anywhere, except when I am in a hotel (I travel very frequently).

On a side note - funny story: I was staying at a hotel in a rather large suite. I was in the dining area with the TV still on in the bedroom. It was about 2 a.m. and one of those phone sex ads came on. It caught my ear as it merged in to the HeadOn commercial. I couldn't see it, could only hear it and couldnt figure out for the life of me what in the world they were advertising....

"Call 1-976-blah for a good time... HEAD ON, apply directly to the forhead....."

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.