Ahh the day in the life of SoftLayer Support

Don't let the title fool ya. I'm breathing a sigh of relief. I have all of my main servers at SoftLayer and I've been with them since June. I've dealt with support numerous times and I can't get over how GREAT they are.

So today I'm at lunch and my Treo gets a text message saying one of my servers is down. I immediately remote desktop from my Treo (nice feature) to my office pc...and yup....the server is down. I call the office and my key support guy confirms that this server is down and that the IPMI (great feature in SoftLayers portal) states the server is powered off. He opens a support ticket...and they immediately identify that the server has lost power and that the power supply took a dump. They replaced the power supply and got the server up and running.

My support guy was a bit impatient with support and was a little abbrasive with the support people at SoftLayer. BUT they didn't let that phase them one bit. They were extremely polite to us. I got a bit impatient with support after they did get the server online and they said it was working fine..but I couldn't ping nor access the server. They knew right away that it was a firewall issue...It appeared that we had an old apf firewall installed and when the server rebooted it was blocking all traffic. I unistalled it and everythings back to normal.

Can't give enough credit to SoftLayer. They don't BS with you. They tell you right up front what the problem is and in every case that I have had with them, they have fixed the problem right the FIRST time.

Kudos SoftLayer!!!!

What was the timeline from the time you got the text message?

What software notified you the server was down?

Quote Originally Posted by thinkaholic
    What was the timeline from the time you got the text message?

What software notified you the server was down?
    I use hyperspin.com . I have it setup to monitor my servers every 3 minutes. I got the text message about 10 seconds after the 3 minute mark.

Let's stick to the topic please

Quote Originally Posted by anon-e-mouse
    Let's stick to the topic please
    Right.. so shall we just have people post "Wow! go SL, keep up the good work" again and again? There's no controversy whatsoever in this thread, it's pure praise. The thread was going somewhere...
    GeeksGather - Undergoing redevelopment. Stand by.