OT: Reseller Accounts - Ingram, Tech Data, etc

OT but it's about time I focus more on getting my accounts right ......
    For those in the *biz*, do you guys have accounts with Ingram, Tech Data, etc . I'm curious how much is it worth the hassle to get the accounts all setup as opposed to just buying from the usual cheap sources...from a equipment purchase perspective.

I'm somewhat debating the same point, as I find that overseas resellers often have Tyan and Supermicro parts listed before any of the USA places.

What we need is a co-op style reseller that is run as a non-profit Carries the wierd spare parts and cables that a small-time ISP/rack-user would want.

This is one service that we offer to our customers is the ability to buy from distribution or at very low costs. Look to your collocation provider to help you here.
    Linn Boyd

It depends upon your business and your needs. Some items are fairly easy to source directly, but distributors will carry more commercial/enterprise gear that isn't sold by a lot of the consumer or web based retailers.

However, in low-quantities, the distributors prices are not that good so you'll usually find better deals on commodity items like disk drives, ram, etc. in other places unless you are willing to buy in large quantity.

That said, there is also some financial support (you can eventually qualify for net terms instead of prepaid with most distibutors), you might be able to take advantage of various mfgr promotions from time to time, and the administrative side of things is streamlined dealing with only one or two vendors.

We've been with Tech Data for many years (from when we used to sell a lot of hardware as a var) and they have always been very helpful and useful to keep working with.

Quote Originally Posted by chefwong
    OT but it's about time I focus more on getting my accounts right ......
    For those in the *biz*, do you guys have accounts with Ingram, Tech Data, etc . I'm curious how much is it worth the hassle to get the accounts all setup as opposed to just buying from the usual cheap sources...from a equipment purchase perspective.
    Voicegateway.com Web Services - High-performance Hosting & Fully Managed Servers
    Specializing in Virtual Machine Hosting with Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2, Windows SharePoint Services, Microsoft SQL Server 2005, ASP.NET 2.0 hosting and Newsletter/Mailing list services

5. i've accounts with Tech data, wintec, ASI since 1992! the value of distributors is not necessarily low price, but they do carry full-line of products, and those hard-to-find non-stock items/accessories can be drop-shipped from manufacturers in timely manner. they can ship most stock items on the same day at very reasonable shipping cost.

we use lots, lots of supermicro gears, and wintec/asi/ma labs can even transfer inventory from Fremont warehouse to ATL using over-weekend trucking without charging me a dime. this sort of priceless services are so valuable, and it's not something that a on-line retailer or web outfit such as neweggs can do.

My company was with Tech Data and Ingram since 2000. We used them for a number of years but haven't in a while (our accounts are probably inactive). Pricing was good for some items and not for others.