Question Moving to H-Sphere - Suggestions for a newbie

I just purchased a new server speced out to run H-Sphere, and will begin learning as soon as installed. I'm switching because I'm renting cpanel, and if I move that server I don't want to buy cpanel, or format my server.

Any suggestions from the H-Sphere crowd on learning it? I learned WHM/cPanel/AWBS, so I know I can handle H-Sphere.

Thank's in advance!

Hey Eric,

Is this a single server install? What spec server did you order? I would suggest making sure you put all your logical services on different IP's. It makes things a little easier in the long run. You should also check out some of the offerings from http://hspheretemplates.com if you havent already. Also, be sure to get registered at the psoft forum and request access to the customers only forum, lots of good info. Hsphere does have a little bit of a learning curve, but once you get past the hump, its all good.

Hi Chris,

Yes, this will be a single server install while I learn H-Sphere, here are the server specs:

Intel Core Duo 2x 2.13Ghz/1M L2 cores
    4 Gigs DDR2 RAM
    2 x 250 SATA II RAID Editiom 16mb cashe
    3ware SATA Hardware RAID controller (RAID 1)
    Running CentOS 4.4

Partitioning as follows:

/ root partition (/etc, /tmp, /root) 10 GB
    /usr - 20 GB
    /var - 30 GB
    /hsphere (or /home)

I'm having Dynamic Net install H-Sphere, and have a block of 8 ip's. After this server is setup and running, I also have a Dual Xeon 2.8 Ghz HT, 2 Gigs RAM, with 6 x 147 Gig SCSI drives (Raid 1 for OS, 4 drives RAID 5) - This server is my production machine. And last but not least, my third server for off site backups is a P4 3.2 Ghz, 2 Gigs RAM, 4 x 320 SATA II, RAID 5.

Thank's for the links and forum suggestions Chris.

Eric
    Last edited by Eric HRF; 09-26-2006 at 03:32 PM.

Hey Eric,

Thats a nice machine to test with. So I am guessing that you are going to reformat this box and build an actual cluster after your testing period? Hsphere will really shine once you split all the services to seperate physical servers. Have fun playing.

I'm having Dynamic Net install H-Sphere
    That's about the best company there is, in the H-Sphere business. Peter knows his << stuff >>.
    Last edited by writespeak; 09-27-2006 at 07:31 PM.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Hi Chris,

Where I colo my Dual Xeon box I'm renting a cpanel license, and if I move the server to a different datacenter I guess thier going to make me buy it or format it. That box has CentOS 3.7, and I'm wanting to re-format and give it the latest version of CentOS when we do.

I understand that with H-Sphere you can have multiple servers in different datacenters. Right now the Dual Xeon box is at BurstNET, and the P4 and the Core Duo are at Corparate Colo.

My "newbie" plan was to use the core duo as a "Front End", and let it control the Xeon box for user accounts after we re-format it. We would migrate our few customers to the Core Duo first, then add the Xeon, and maybe the P4. My partner and I don't want to migrate twice, but if a cluster is whats best, we could do it.

I checked out H-Shere Templates, and I Thank You for the heads up.

Eric

Hey Eric,

The great thing about Hsphere is that you can add the next server at any point. I would set it up as web/mysql/postgre and just move the accounts to the new web box with the accounts move feature. That will allow you to off load web and mysql from the cp box. Hsphere CP is quite resource hungry and will do much better on its own box in the long run.

layer0 - Thank's for the comment, that's good to know.

Chris - You've given me a wealth of information, and my partner (he's the IT department) is quite busy till the end of the year, so your first on my list when he can't do something. Thank's!

Eric

Greetings layer0:

Thank you for your kind words. We feel greatly blessed by God in terms of His work in our lives and business over the past eleven years.

We've had many mentors, and the folks at http://forum.psoft.net/ are awesome in terms of sharing along with passing on knowledge.

===

Greetings Eric:

From my post on a similar (probably same topic), for reference here

I do recommend hardware raid after years of experience with hardware and software raid.

A current customer of ours, prior to being a customer used software raid and experienced a very hard crash where software raid made zero difference. That's all too common an occurance for us to hear over the past eleven years in business.

CentOS 4.4 does work with H-Sphere though you may have to tweak /etc/issue.net and /etc/redhat-release to say 4.3

For partition recommendations, a *** general *** recommendation is as follows:

/ (root) - 5 GB
    /tmp - 3 GB
    /usr - 7 GB
    /swap (2x ram max of 2 GB)
    /boot - 250 MB

Now /var is where your databases are stored, and where mail in process (i.e. queue for deliver) is stored as well as your log files.

IF this is a heavy mail server or heavy databases, then make /var 25 GB based on 250 GB drives. If it is light on mail and databses, then /12 GB for /var.

Then the rest to /hsphere in any event

Also, if you are able, I do recommend unique (dedicated) IP addresses for each logical service.

i.e. The following logical services should have their own IP address if you are able:

Control panel - cp
    Mail
    Web
    mySQL
    DNS ns1
    DNS ns2

Please note on a single server cluster, you cannot offer end user postgresql since end user postgresql must exist on a server other than the physical server running the control panel service.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

Thank You Peter for the recommendations, but the partition scheme listed above is being provisioned by Apaq Digital when they install CentOS, and the server is shipping tomarrow from Apaq in Atlanta to it's new home at Corparate Colo in L.A.

For partitioning I read the docs and went with the max for 120 Gig or larger drives. I figured bigger is better.

And the server does have hardware RAID, and with 2 x 250 drives it will be RAID 1 of course.

I think I'm one IP short of optimal on the Dual Core, I have an 8 IP Block.. My backup server has DNS and will be on the same switch as the Dual Core in the same rack, can I use that?

Thank's to EVERYBODY for thier help!

Eric

Greetings Eric:

The backup server can be used IF it is added to the H-Sphere cluster which means the server must be running a supported operating system -- CentOS, FreeBSD, RedHat Enterprise, Trustix. I don't mention Windows because H-Sphere DNS servers must run Unix.

In terms of IP addresses -- Control panel - cp
    Mail
    Web
    mySQL
    DNS ns1
    DNS ns2 -- come up to six IP's (one IP each).

May I ask how are you short if you have eight?

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

Hi Peter,

I don't know much linux, but the IP Block from Corparate Colo follows:

Network: xxx.134.242.120/29 (8 IP Block)
    Usable IPs: xxx.134.242.122 - 205.134.242.126
    Gateway: xxx.134.242.121
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.248
    Broadcast Address: xxx.134.242.127

The other server is running CentOS 4.3, is a P4 3.2, 2 Gigs RAM

Eric

Hey Eric,

I would suggest that you might think about getting a VPS to run your DNS2. It will get you the additional IP's that you need and it will also get DNS2 onto a different class c range. You should be able to find a vps that can run the hsphere dns packages.

Hi Mike,

Can't afford anymore servers or rack space, or a VPS. I think we will put one DNS on P4, which looks like it's on a different class C range.

I've been reading the H-Sphere docs and playing around with the demo. I guess the installation will be next week, as my new server should be in L.A. on Monday.

Eric