Problems with my dedicated server( too much connections on database)

Hello everyone! this is my first time using this forum
    I have a couple question
    I have a dedicated server with
    Dual Intel XeonE 2.8 GHz CPUs
    3Gb DDR2-400 ECC RAM
    250 GB Drive
    1500 GB Bandwidth included

my site recives a lot of hit everyday (arround 500,000 pageviews)
    im using a system gallery called 4images
    and when i get arround 300 users online i get and error Too many connections
    i tried to change the settings on the etc/my.conf but all it does is go slower
    some people have told me to get 2 servers one for the mysql database and other one for the website
    and other have tell me to get a fully managed server
    so what are u recomendation or solution?

California USA
    Getting two dedicated servers would be the way to go, one for mysql one for apache. Maybe even using lighttpd on the web end of things.
    Steven Ciaburri | Proactive Linux Server Management -
    Managed Servers (AS62710), Server Management, and Security Auditing.

issue mysqladmin processlist once processes start piling up and try to optimize slow queries

optimize the slow queries and combine that with balancing out the selects amongst several servers. You may also look into your my.cnf settings to see if anything is odd. A good management service should also be of assistance though, at some point, the only viable solution may just be buying a bit more hardware to accomodate growth.

Which database version? Are these your DB calls or another package? Some programs are very DB hog like which makes for these issues. You might see if there are updates that fix these DB issues.
    Computer: A machine that can make the wrong decision faster that you!

It would be better you go with the two dedicated servers for the outcome of this issue.

Newport Beach, CA
    First things first. you really need to evaluate your MySQL stuff to understand where the problem is. Until you establish what the REAL problem is you can't fix it. I mean sure you can continue throwing more hardware at it but it's a waist. There's a good possibility you may only need more RAM, or something else. it all depends on the queries and how efficient the software is that's showing those 300 users. I mean something as simple as turning persistent connections off could even fix the problem. You may have your limits for connections to low. etc etc.

I recommend using the MySQL Administrator (included in link below), then create a user in MySQL that has 'any' host access. That way you can connect and work with the database live. You can see where the spikes are, where they are at, and what you should do.

You should make a custom page (right click on tabbed pages) and then create a couple graphs for tables. so you can see the details and the limits. It takes some learning to do this, but it's very simple if you follow the directions.

The software out of the box will tell you the connection numbers etc. you also have memory pages so you can see your buffer size, hitrate and all sorts of info, including viewing the settings in your conf.

Very good stuff.

Download the MySQL GUI tools here:
    Show your reciprocal links on your website. eReferrer