WHT "Keyword Alerts"

A feature i'd love to see in WHT is "keyword alerts" .. kind of like google

basically you choose a few words that when they pop up on a thread you get an email notification with the thread URL

now for this to be feasible, it could be driven by a search every hour or every few hours that looks for those terms and emails it's subscribers
    Carlos Rego
    OnApp CVO

The Cloud Engine

Is this meant to tell you as soon as a thread about your company pops up?

I dont see really any other practical use.

Ouch, talk about increasing email load. Personally I would never use such a feature, since vBulletin already has so many built in subscription features (Subscribe to forums or threads with instant, daily, and weekly notification). Imagine if you accidently picked a keyword that popped up in a downtime thread. In an hour you may have 500 emails, and that's just you, there may be others as well. That's a lot more email for iNet to be sending out (think about how much they already send).

Alex

I suggested this a long time ago, and the inet people said they were going to ask prohacker about it, then nothing happend.

In an hour you may have 500 emails, and that's just you, there may be others as well. That's a lot more email for iNet to be sending out (think about how much they already send).
    If it's per thread it won't be anywhere close to 500 e-mails. More like 10-15 max. Even that's pretty high (2 or 3 is more realistic).

Also, your argument can be looked at from a different point of view.

Because iNet already sends out so many e-mails, adding this would only be increasing the amount by a small percentage and should not cause any performance issues with their mail setup (assuming they have the overhead available).
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Pool has that feature, and boy is it annoying, i put keyword 98h and i get daily 2-5 emails from them saying domain available matching that keyword basically most have 8h etc etc in them. So image i put search for keyword "in" it would definately kill WHT for sure ....
    12+ years -same website , new server [SSD Inside] providing shared/reseller hosting only !
    These things we do not provide/offer : Unlimited Storage ! Unlimited Bandwidth ! But Why? Cause, we were unable to put such a large number on our pages, it just would not fit.
    So check out the numbers that actually fit >> << the page as well as your budget too !

Quote Originally Posted by paidhosting
    Pool has that feature, and boy is it annoying, i put keyword 98h and i get daily 2-5 emails from them saying domain available matching that keyword basically most have 8h etc etc in them. So image i put search for keyword "in" it would definately kill WHT for sure ....
    Why would you use a keyword such as IN for this feature? It'd be logical, in your case, for something such as your hosting company's name, downtime alerts, etc.
    Stephen Preissler
    Modern Advisors - A Certified Plesk Billing Reseller

We offer Plesk Billing Licenses, Configuration, Migrations, Consultation & Customization

Quote Originally Posted by ROrder
    Why would you use a keyword such as IN for this feature? .
    Ever heard of spammers or trouble makers?
    12+ years -same website , new server [SSD Inside] providing shared/reseller hosting only !
    These things we do not provide/offer : Unlimited Storage ! Unlimited Bandwidth ! But Why? Cause, we were unable to put such a large number on our pages, it just would not fit.
    So check out the numbers that actually fit >> << the page as well as your budget too !

Quote Originally Posted by ROrder
    Why would you use a keyword such as IN for this feature? It'd be logical, in your case, for something such as your hosting company's name, downtime alerts, etc.
    Exacly, people here complain all the time that they start a thread about a company or a product, but the company never answers

WHT has grow immensely .. posts are by the thousands, a features that alerts you there is a new reference to keyword "x" (your company/product ?) on thread xyz would be very welcome.

Of course, once you are notified that thread meantion your keyword, no more alerts should be needed, as one can subscribe to threads.
    Carlos Rego
    OnApp CVO

The Cloud Engine

Quote Originally Posted by paidhosting
    Ever heard of spammers or trouble makers?
    it should follow the rules of the "search" .. so such abuses are minimized.
    Carlos Rego
    OnApp CVO

The Cloud Engine