Have I been ripped off?

I signed up with a host claiming 24/7 support and automatic account creation. This was about 9/10 hours ago.

I've heard nothing and tried to contact support.
    Website says that the 24/7 live support is OFFLINE!!!!

Host claims to have many satisfied customers since 2003. I checked whois to find out that the domain was register at the end of July (24th) 2006 (2 months ago).

Any ideas? What should I do?

thomp,

While you haven't been ripped off just yet: You're most likely going to be if the whois information doesn't match up with what they're saying.

Which method of payment did you use?
    If you paid via paypal I'd go ahead and file a dispute immediately.

If it was via a credit card I would wait a bit (a few days) on proceeding with a chargeback as you'll have a 90 day allowance to do so -- e.g. give them a chance just in case it's just a mixup.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Quote Originally Posted by thomp256
    I signed up with a host claiming 24/7 support and automatic account creation. This was about 9/10 hours ago.

Host claims to have many satisfied customers since 2003. I checked whois to find out that the domain was register at the end of July (24th) 2006 (2 months ago).

Inform them in writing that you'd lke to cancel your order on the grounds of turnaround time and that you need something quickly. If the charge shows up on your credit card statement, dispute it.

Before placing an order at the next place, try to get in touch with support in real time and ask some questions to guage as at least one datapoint of the support resposne you can expect to get.

Are you using an email address at your domain as the contact address? If they already setup and activated your account it is possible that all those emails are being routed to your newly created account that you don't have access to. Try to email or open a ticket from an outside address (Gmail.com, hotmail.com, etc.).

I had that problem with a host I signed up for a couple years back, felt pretty stupid when I figured out the problem was on my end.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

From the looks of it, you have to ask for a refund and run.

If they don't give you proof they indeed refunded you, dispute
    the payment later when it shows to your account.

I have learned the hard way like that before. But I have not
    known WHT back then to tell my story for others to learn from.

Hopefully many people will learn from this now.

Good luck.
    Don't Lose Your Website Ever Again!
    Backup All Your Domains and MySQL Databases Automatically
    Grab this Website Backup Software today.

Probably made up the date, but just wait on the support ticket, obviously it is not as fast as you want, so make sure you tell them you are not happy.

Don't you all think you may be jumping the gun by suggesting a cancellation and chargebacks?

Yes, the delay for account creation is not what was expected, and yes their live support is 'offline', but we also don't know what support they promised as being 24/7--many hosts boast 24/7 support, but only provide it via email. Regarding the domain, are we sure they haven't changed domains within the last two months, or added this additional domain to catch users who type a similar address to their main?

All I'm saying is I think we need more facts before jumping in and suggesting a cancellation and chargeback of all charges is the way to go.

-
    Rory

Why dont you name the host here in this forum...if it is a fraud, others would have been warned..

if it is just a case of sleepin on the job, maybe they would wake up reading this thread...

I agree with RoryErickson. Maybe you're really ahead of time. Wait and see how it all goes on and then tell us about it all.

Also, make sure the host did not operate under a different name previously. If this is the case, then of course the new name/domain would not be very old.
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress • Joomla • OpenCart • Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

Any update on this matter? Thomp was your issue resolved with the company? Did you hear from them? I hate movies that leave you hanging.