E-mail Migration

Dear all,

Is there any guide that I can follow to migrate a customer from one server to another server without any interference to his mailbox?

My customer would not like to have any downtime to his mailbox. How can I accomplish that?

You aren't likely to acheive this with zero downtime, but you can with minimal downtime.

imapsync (http://freshmeat.net/projects/imapsync/) is quite handy for syncing his mailbox and any imap folders he has.

You probably want to do something along the following lines

1. Setup his new mailbox on the new server
    2. sync his current box to his new box
    3. change the mx record for his domain to point to the new server
    4. Setup the old server to relay mail sent to it to the new server until DNS propogates fully.
    5. Take the old server offline.
    Jacob Turner -- Ringnebula Systems
    Managed IT solutions for small business

What if my customer is using SMTP and doesn't have any of his e-mail stored.

His main concern is that he doesn't want to lose any mail that people send him during the migration.

How can I get the old server to relay to the new one?

Quote Originally Posted by Necroist
    What if my customer is using SMTP and doesn't have any of his e-mail stored.
    Do you mean SMTP or POP3? How is he retrieving his email? Does he use a mail client like outlook or thunderbird or does he use webmail?

His main concern is that he doesn't want to lose any mail that people send him during the migration.
    Read up on MX records. Setup a secondary MX for his domain (I probably should have mentioned that before.

How can I get the old server to relay to the new one?
    What SMTP server are you using?

POP3, I'm sorry. He uses outlook and his webmail client to access his e-mail.

I'm using Exim.

I would investigate changing the mx entry for that domain, you would also need to keep in mind that this needs somewhere to go (account would need to be setup on the new server), and it takes a while for the DNS changes to propogate.

Other than this, sync the mailboxes when the DNS turns over to the new server.

Mind you, depending on the size of his account you could probably transfer it and have it operational on the new server within 1 or 2 minutes, if you are really concerned then shutdown exim for this period and the sender's exim or sender should retry the connection at a later date.

where should I change the TTL for the MX records? on the old ip or the new one?

you would want to change the ttl on the old server to something short. Probably at least 48 hours prior to the migration to make sure that the new ttl is pushed out world-wide. On the new server the default ttl will be fine.