Thread: OS suggestion

OS suggestion

Hi,

I am considered to sign up for a VPS at VPSLAND and have the following operating systems as choice
    • Redhat 9
    • CentOS 3
    • CentOS 4
    • Debian
    • Gentoo
    • FedoraCore 1
    • FedoraCore 2
    • FedoraCore 3
    • FedoraCore 4
    • FedoraCore 5
    • Ubuntu 5.10
    • Ubuntu 6.06

Personally I would probably go for one of these
    • CentOS 4
    • Debian
    • FedoraCore 5

Would anyone have a particular suggestion? I am looking rather for a plain (but up-to-date) system where I can manually install the required applications later on. Thanks for any answer.

On a related note, I used to host with Linode and was really pleased by the easy ability to actually reinstall the entire operating system or choose even another. I guess this isnt as easy at VPSLAND, is it?

What software are you planning on using and what are you familiar with?

CentOS and Fedora are very similar, CentOS is just the free version of Red Hat Enterprise which has the same base as Fedora.

As long as you have a good kernel you shouldn't notice a difference.

If you're planning on using a control panel for hosting, I think CentOS is going to be the best choice.

But if you're going to be using command line sysadmin tools, nothing beats Debian (IMO).

Thanks devonblzx and nicedream. I'd use primarily web related software (Apache, PHP, MySQL), maybe Shoutcast too and later on Java applications. I used to use Debian but as its reputation in terms of being up-to-date isnt the best I was looking into CentOS and Fedora. Does anyone have experience with the differences of these systems at VPSLAND?

Any yes, I would go for the command line.

Also can somebody confirm my assumption that the OS management at VPSLAND is not as easy and changeable as at Linode?

If you're using the command line, then go for debian, because upgrades and installations are handled very well. And you'll never have to worry about grabbing this dependency and that dependency. It does it all automatically.

Debian stable is notoriously slow to update, but that's why it's called "stable". If you need newer software you can change your system to the unstable or testing branches.

Thanks nicedream.

Would anybody also have comments to my VPSLAND related question?

I recommend Ubuntu 6.06 or Centos 4.4 - both very solid, good package managers. Just a question of taste regarding yum or apt-get.
    Slicehost - Xen VPS hosting
    Community - Forums, wiki, chat and technical articles

Quote Originally Posted by slicematt
    I recommend Ubuntu 6.06 or Centos 4.4 - both very solid, good package managers. Just a question of taste regarding yum or apt-get.
    True, but if you're using apt-get, why pick a Debian derivative (Ubuntu) when you can run Debian just as well? Especially given the fact that he is going to be managing it from the command line.

Easy - Ubuntu is very similar to Debian, but updated much more frequently.
    Slicehost - Xen VPS hosting
    Community - Forums, wiki, chat and technical articles

Quote Originally Posted by slicematt
    Easy - Ubuntu is very similar to Debian, but updated much more frequently.
    Doesn't Ubuntu include a lot of "extras" (desktop GUI tools) that are not needed on servers?

I would guess they are pre-installing the Ubuntu server base. Which doesn't include X-Windows and all the extra junk.

If you are going with a control panel then I would suggest CentOs as well. If command line -- yep debian
    PeakVPN.Com | Complete Privacy VPN | Cloud Hosting | Guaranteed Security | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered
    PeakVPN | 31 VPN Servers | 17-Years Experience | Emergency 24/7 Support
    Visit us @ PeakVPN.Com (Coming SOON) | ASN: 3915

I'll say centOS or FreeBSd.. they are the best by far in terms of stability and compaitibility with VPS software

Quote Originally Posted by en21
    I'll say centOS or FreeBSd.. they are the best by far in terms of stability and compaitibility with VPS software
    Very few companies offer FreeBSD VPSs. And VPSLand is not one of them.