Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Another Softlayer dropping the ball rant....

I ordered a whole new drive system replacement last week. After the first time failing to meet the scheduled maintence window it was rescheduled to tonight. Not a major problem i suppose, i really didnt want to sleep that night at all cause i figured spending 4-5 hours backing everything up and waiting for the replacement to start was a better idea ....

So it was rescheduled to tonight, they've got the drives in about 3 hours ago. Good Job. Now, while the wait for the server to come back online, i suppose they dont do much but wait, forget about them checking it, cause i suppose 2+ hours for a OS reload is common place now, and perfectly acceptable...

probably the second or third time, their OS reload feature has hung up, and cost hours upon hours waiting for it to get fixed, and forget about getting a ticket update during that time....

So in closing, i think i'll be moving on to another Dedicated server provider.

And I await the "Your a idiot treatment" that everyone gets when something negative is posted about the current WHT "Favorite company of the month", i like to call it the site5 attitude around here where you cant post anything negative without people thinking your a idiot.

Well, I have a feeling that if you have only 1 server with them, then they are not your favorite :-)

I hope not.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

No, i just added my third server there the other day before this fiasco, which i'll more then likely be cancelling in about 10 minutes

i wonder if they take their hardware and throw it off walls before installing it in the servers?

I've had to replace the onboard raid controller with an offboard raid card. I rebuilt the raid array and have restarted the reload process so that kickstart grabs the correct drivers. I am going to be monitoring this reload closely, and will update you with any details if necesarry.
    Good job monitoring it.

Transaction ID: 7318
    Transaction Group: RH OS Reload
    Current Transaction Status: IPMI_BOOT
    Elapsed time at status: 34 Min
    Average time for status: 10 Min
    Wonder if we can get that to take 3 hours too

Well, one thing I notice.

You don't have a problem with cynical remarks, so you shouldn't have a problem with cynical replies.

Doesn't make you an idiot, just like it doesn't mean softlayer is throwing drives against the wall. I'm not saying you're stupid, or they're great or they suck. I'm just saying replies are going to follow the flow that you make your post in.
    Show your reciprocal links on your website. eReferrer

Thanks for the sarcasm ntfu
    I'm simply noticing a trend with their responses that's giving me an uneasy feeling and that's not something I'm willing to sacrifice my operation on.

I didn't make my post for everyone else -- if you're enjoying their service stick with them.
    The beauty of a free market: Choice.

SoftLayer is wonderful. Their staff is very knowledgable and went above and beyond when I had any issues.

Oops!

Initially I had thought you were mocking my thread. I guess you're not after reading the 2nd update: Sorry to hear that you're having some problems as well.

It isn't that Softlayer hasn't been amazing for network and uptime: It's that every time I put in any sort of request they're fairly slow and seem to respond with broken English.

//And no, I don't put in requests for minor things: I've had maybe one ticket per month at most.

Well when I started reading this thread, my SoftLayer server went down.

I'm not so convinced about their network actually.

Quote Originally Posted by SiteManaged
    Well when I started reading this thread, my SoftLayer server went down.

I'm not so convinced about their network actually.
    They are in fact currently down.
    There's a thread about it in the network outtages section.

Argh, did I mention leaving Softlayer yet?
    If not.. //gone like the wind.

Hmm actually I cannot access https://manage.softlayer.com/ either. Perhaps some other problem... My LT servers never have this kind of glitches.

I'm sure its just a small hiccup.. it'll be back in no time. SoftLayer is great.

I have no issues with mine. What network are you on?

Quote Originally Posted by rob5
    I'm sure its just a small hiccup.. it'll be back in no time. SoftLayer is great.
    How quickly -> doesn't matter. It was a big hiccup if you ask me. It was at least a big chunk of their network too..

Again, NEVER had this happened to me with my EV1, LTs. I've made my conclusion on them. They still got a lot to prove.

Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    I have no issues with mine. What network are you on?
    The network returned to normal (or at least is now up) as of 12:51 EST.
    In total there was eleven minutes worth of downtime but it appears that the entire network was in fact out.

No issues here.

Quote Originally Posted by David
    The network returned to normal (or at least is now up) as of 12:51 EST.
    In total there was eleven minutes worth of downtime but it appears that the entire network was in fact out.
    Did the soflayer monitoring alert you? Do you use a third party monitor? I use both and received no alerts nor did I ever lose contact with my server.

Quote Originally Posted by Patryk
    No issues here.
    Obviously if you check now, no issues.

Their network not seems to have downtime even before - I have no any info about problems from my monitoring software, and users - just like DaThomas. Maybe there is a problem at your end..

Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Did the soflayer monitoring alert you? Do you use a third party monitor? I use both and received no alerts nor did I ever lose contact with my server.
    I have several different monitors running on multiple networks.
    I use only 3rd party monitors as I cannot rely on one that is internal to their network.

As per the network outtage thread:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=550193

Many others lost complete contact with their servers.

From SoftLayer:

SoftLayer Network engineers detected a network issue on 9/26/2006 at 11:47 CDT that caused some customers connected to one of our Frontend Customer Routers (fcr01.dal01) to have intermittent connectivity loss on the public network. Upon investigation, an internal OSPF routing protocol session reset causing network abnormalities while the router rebuilt its routing table. We are *actively* working with Cisco to prevent the issue from occurring in the future.
    Just another reason why I love SoftLayer.. issue was isolated and fixed in less than 10 minutes and a thorough explanation was promptly posted. Speaks wonders about their staff and management, and I can't imagine going with anyone else

Quote Originally Posted by rob5
    From SoftLayer:

Just another reason why I love SoftLayer.. issue was isolated and fixed in less than 10 minutes and a thorough explanation was promptly posted. Speaks wonders about their staff and management, and I can't imagine going with anyone else
    You would love anything they throw at you

Quote Originally Posted by SiteManaged
    You would love anything they throw at you
    I just know good providers when I see them and know that 100% uptime is impossible. I don't cry over a 10 minute hiccup

Yes you can look at it that way, but when you have important clients who complain hard about "one click that timed out" it's a different story rob.

But it's nice to know you have so much love. Happy marriage

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast