Results 1 to 38 of 38
  1. #1

    Narrowing down to the best 3

    Hello,
    During the past week, I searched this forum for the best and affordable web host... I narrowed it down to the 3 that have most favorable reviews in this forum and elsewhere.. steadfast.net, bluehost and ASmallOrange...

    There have been a few negative comments about bluehost and ASmallOrange, but none against steadfast...so what do you say guys - steadfast it is?

    Add to its advantage the hsphere panel, as against the maligned cpanel of bluehost..

    However, steadfast would cost more - $72.35 for a year...bluehost even more - $83.40 ...compared to $60 for ASmallOrange - for similar plans..

    Any advice guys?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Uk, Norwich
    Posts
    480
    ASmallOrange would be your best bet, overall they recieve better reviews than that of BlueHost.
    redihot.com | low cost quality hosting
    Looking for a web hosting solution? Gain complete satisfaction today.
    With our 99.95% Uptime Guarantee, 24/7 Monitoring, Friendly Support, Cpanel/Fantastico, Domains and much more, why wait?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    216
    Quote Originally Posted by shubhox
    as against the maligned cpanel of bluehost..
    (Wow, that's a serious comment on cPanel. Has been good to me. Sad to hear that its not to you.)

    Remember that a negative comment doesn't necessarily mean bad service overall. If you believe that, then maybe you can go with ASmallOrange over the other two hosts.

    Good luck!
    Don't Lose Your Website Ever Again!
    Backup All Your Domains and MySQL Databases Automatically
    Grab this Website Backup Software today.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Lithuania
    Posts
    13
    Also don't forget that and good reviews is not main reason to choose host, i personaly look hosting witch most suitable for me.

    Good luck for your choice.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by cpsitesaver.com
    (Wow, that's a serious comment on cPanel. Has been good to me. Sad to hear that its not to you.)

    Remember that a negative comment doesn't necessarily mean bad service overall. If you believe that, then maybe you can go with ASmallOrange over the other two hosts.

    Good luck!
    No offence meant cpsitesaver...just echoing what I read here..

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by kreoton
    Also don't forget that and good reviews is not main reason to choose host, i personaly look hosting witch most suitable for me.

    Good luck for your choice.

    Thanks kreoton...all the 3 listed hosts provide enough web space and facilities...I anyways need to host a static site...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    216
    Quote Originally Posted by shubhox
    No offence meant cpsitesaver...just echoing what I read here..
    Not offended here. I understand...
    Don't Lose Your Website Ever Again!
    Backup All Your Domains and MySQL Databases Automatically
    Grab this Website Backup Software today.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    7,200
    Out of that bunch, definitely ASmallOrange.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Orien Wu
    Out of that bunch, definitely ASmallOrange.
    Thanks Orien for your feedback... do u have any positive experience to share with them...?

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by johnemms2003
    Blue Host I have tried and they basically are not that good
    Thanks johnemms2003...out of all that you have used, which one did you like the most?

  11. #11
    The .Mobi prices on 1&1 for Landrush is amazing. I don't know if there is any better. Their other domains registration service is great as well. Oh by the way, with IX hosting, you could sign up for their affiliate program and get like $50 back free for signup for their service. That would be like paying only $1 a month for 300GB space, 1.5TB traffic. You tell me that's not crazy

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by johnemms2003
    The .Mobi prices on 1&1 for Landrush is amazing. I don't know if there is any better. Their other domains registration service is great as well. Oh by the way, with IX hosting, you could sign up for their affiliate program and get like $50 back free for signup for their service. That would be like paying only $1 a month for 300GB space, 1.5TB traffic. You tell me that's not crazy
    Thanks johnemms2003...really appreciate your feedback..

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    756
    Quote Originally Posted by johnemms2003
    Oh by the way, with IX hosting, you could sign up for their affiliate program and get like $50 back free for signup for their service. That would be like paying only $1 a month for 300GB space, 1.5TB traffic. You tell me that's not crazy
    Do a search here on IXhosting. You might then think that signing up with them was crazy.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    756
    Quote Originally Posted by shubhox
    However, steadfast would cost more - $72.35 for a year...bluehost even more - $83.40 ...compared to $60 for ASmallOrange - for similar plans..
    I don't really see the similarities here. They offer very different space and bandwidth at each price level. I would advise you not to 'buy' what you don't need because you increase the risk of unreliability etc.

    I've never had an account with Steadfast, but they seem well reviewed by those that have. I find ASO very good & Bluehost have been fine for me too, though you don't want to put up a site that is intensive in its CPU usage.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Dormouse
    I don't really see the similarities here. They offer very different space and bandwidth at each price level. I would advise you not to 'buy' what you don't need because you increase the risk of unreliability etc.

    I've never had an account with Steadfast, but they seem well reviewed by those that have. I find ASO very good & Bluehost have been fine for me too, though you don't want to put up a site that is intensive in its CPU usage.
    They are similar becos they are all starter plans (although ASmallOrange has a even smaller plan)...so the web space is minimum and thats how much I need...

    My site would be static but graphic intensive...i am sure it wont stress the CPU much...

    Do you have any personal experience with ASmallOrange?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    756
    If you only need a small account, then only buy a small account - for the same amount of money you will be able to get an account with a better host.

    On that basis, I would exclude Bluehost from your calculations, even though I have had no problems in my own experience with them.

    If it is going to be a low CPU usage site, then almost any reasonable host should be able to meet your needs.

    I do have personal experience with ASO. I've never had a support request not completely resolved in 5 minutes or less (that said, I make very few requests for support). If you only need their Tiny plan, you can start with that and upgrade as and when you need.

    I'm not sure what you mean by graphic intensive. If you mean that you will upload a lot of detailed graphics, then you need to make sure that your space and transfer is big enough for that - though ASO (and I'm sure Steadfast) will allow you to upgrade as you need.

  17. #17
    Thanks Dormouse...I have looked at ASO's plans and found their 'Small' plan to be suitable...

  18. #18
    Do not even consider IX. They are completely crap. Thats the only advice i can give you.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayneh
    Do not even consider IX. They are completely crap. Thats the only advice i can give you.
    Which one do you recommend then? Steadfast? A Small Orange?

  20. #20
    I am just like you, trying to fnd a decent host except mine is a Vbulletin forum.

    From what i have read around here, i would say defintely go with ASO. I havent seen any bad reviews at all.

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayneh
    I am just like you, trying to fnd a decent host except mine is a Vbulletin forum.

    From what i have read around here, i would say defintely go with ASO. I havent seen any bad reviews at all.
    Well then check these bad reviews for ASO:

    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...a+small+orange

    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...a+small+orange

  22. #22
    I can just tell you that in my personal opinion h-sphere is a much better control panel then cpanel and steadfast is an awesome company to host with

  23. #23
    I really liked this post. I was so happy for it. I started thinking I finaly found it. I have been searching for a decent host for many months now, and it is impossible to find one without any bad reviews. I think we expect too much for the price we pay. maybe we should try paying more for perfect hosting. Maybe 30$ ...not 7$.
    Anyway...My choises where lunarpages (so far ok for 3 years.perfect if You don't use a lot of CPU , gallery), bluehost (seen many positive reviews, or webmasters (good offer but bad support, I see even before sign up).
    I would go for ASO, and the last post.... dissapointed me. I guess we agree on Bluehost. Maybe it is the best host out there.
    If only lunarpages had more websites on one account and better CPU usage...I would not even think.
    Don't know a thing about steadfast
    That's my 2 cents

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    38
    well every host has its downtime. there is no perfect hosting in this world. i signed up with ASO about month and a half ago, and i didn't have one minute of downtime. i run a php/mysql based web site with about 270 members and the site loads instantly.
    so far i'm happy with ASO...(knock on wood)

  25. #25
    I am going to have a php/mysql based web site as well, and based on what I've been reading, I think I'll go with ASO as well.

    Out of curiousity, which plan are you using at ASO, vozdra?

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    38
    i'm using their basic plan, "small orange" i believe it's called. for now this plan covers all my needs.

  27. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by cafecommk
    I ........
    That's my 2 cents
    Thanks cafecommk.. i appreciate your views..

  28. #28
    hostgator would be your best bet.... forget those 3 (junk)

  29. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by LN10009
    hostgator would be your best bet.... forget those 3 (junk)
    Thanks LN10009...please do describe your personal experience with hostgator...

  30. #30
    no complaints - I have my communication sites hosted with them for the past three years. the support is awesome, the uptime is awsome, and the price is great!

    look around WHT (or the whole www), hostgator has some of the best reviews I have seen in a long time. they are an A++ company in my book!

  31. #31
    just an fyi - I run my own hosting service but use HG for my offsite support system...

  32. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by LN10009
    just an fyi - I run my own hosting service but use HG for my offsite support system...
    Well..I think I understand your trust in them...thanks for your views

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,904
    I honestly would go with A Small Orange over Blue Host or Steadfast. Though Steadfast is a top notch provider as well - I tend to like the personal one on one time ASO gives you and how they make you feel apart of the company and not just a number on their client list.


  34. #34
    one on one support is a nice thing... I offer that to my clients and it is what makes my business be.

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,904
    I agree - its about making the customer feel like they are not just getting a service - but actually apart of a community of customers that share one thing in common - you are trusting your data with a particular host. The way to be successful - care. Really care about your customers. This will not only translate into better customer service but will translate in better performance and increased growth. Its really a simple business stradegy. Customer first and Care.


  36. #36
    I've been with bluehost for a year now and was generally happy with thier service until recently when we restructured our bank accounts, causing a mixup in the billing,. Rather than notify us of the problem and giving us the opportunity to sort it out (which we were in the process of doing anyway), they deleted our entire account, emails and databases included, and didn't even notify us of this action.
    I found the whole aproach to be very unprofesional and rude, so don't think that any company that treats its clients like dirt should be on a best three list.
    currently looking for a more ameanable host for my three sites.

  37. #37
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    7,391
    Quote Originally Posted by DillonMEK
    I've been with bluehost for a year now and was generally happy with thier service until recently when we restructured our bank accounts, causing a mixup in the billing,. Rather than notify us of the problem and giving us the opportunity to sort it out (which we were in the process of doing anyway), they deleted our entire account, emails and databases included, and didn't even notify us of this action.
    I found the whole aproach to be very unprofesional and rude, so don't think that any company that treats its clients like dirt should be on a best three list.
    currently looking for a more ameanable host for my three sites.
    Hi,

    Chances are your account was probably overdue by a lot as most hosts wouldn't delete your files until after a certain set # of days after your payment is due already. I would recommend giving bluehost a call as they might still have your site backup to restore

    Cheers
    CirtexHosting Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
    LINUX based cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Fantastico
    HostV VPS Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    We transfer your sites over quickly! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

  38. #38
    I'd just renewed for another year a month previous, and recieved notification by email that the purchase ($95) was complete, so assumed that i was paid up for the year.

    We only started restructured our bank accounts a week last monday so the certain set # of days couldn't be more that 8.

    I just feel that it would have been more civil to notify us by email and allow us to login to our account to correct the billing information, as we weren't aware there was a problem until we found a complete absence of site and email accounts. We now can't even login to sort it out, and have to go through billing which is closed til monday.

    I also find the statement by support that there "might" be a backup of my site "somewhere" less than reassuring

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •