Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone owns a PDA?

I got first introduced to handheld devices a year ago when I purchased Palm Z22 - that was enough for me to learn, adapt and get used to organizing my time better (it did an amazing job).

A couple of weeks I decided to upgrade to Palm TX. A few days ago I won an auction on eBay for a refurbished model, half priced. Along with that, I bought myself a mobile keyboard and protective case. All for just $250 ($200 not counting shipping). A pretty good deal and a new gadget I am waiting for to arrive impatiently.

My question to you: do you have a PDA (Palm TX or other)? If yes, what is it and how do you like it? How do you use it? Are you aware of any tips from personal experience how to make the device most efficient? I am particularly interested in feedback on how effective and comfortable it is to actually check your email on the device?

Best,
    Hosting Discussion - web hosting community.

Is your company represented?

I have and live off of a Sprint PPC-6700 which is a PocketPC phone. I love it, has a pull out keyboard, I can ssh, telnet, remote desktop, email etc from it.
    James Lumby

ppc 6700 is very good pda phone. i was also waiting for one to be launched by provider in my country. btw, people still use pda's ? why not go for pda phone?

Quote Originally Posted by mahinder
    ppc 6700 is very good pda phone. i was also waiting for one to be launched by provider in my country. btw, people still use pda's ? why not go for pda phone?

The Audiovox 6700 is a very nice phone, Unlike it's previous version, the 6600 which is large and bulky... I would take a 6700 any day.
    Who is General Fault, and why is he reading my disk?

Quote Originally Posted by Artashes

My question to you: do you have a PDA (Palm TX or other)? If yes, what is it and how do you like it? How do you use it? Are you aware of any tips from personal experience how to make the device most efficient? I am particularly interested in feedback on how effective and comfortable it is to actually check your email on the device?
    Dell Axim x51v. Like it a lot, use it for general stuff - AvantGo to keep up with the latest news, email on the move, and its diary/calender function etc.... Only suggestion is to apply any device updates/firmware improvements as these (at least for me) greatly improved the device.

Their is tons of PDA software out there, anything you want to do can probably be achieved (within reason)
    Alasdair
    Long time ex-host, ex-billing software owner/developer/support staff. Recent lurker.

Never seen the point of them. Except maybe on a phone.

I have an O2 XDA EXEC windows mobile PDA phone, it's great, I can check easily my Emails and browse the net using either GPRS or WiFi whenever possible.

I strongly recommand it

Cheers,
    RofyHost - Affordable Shared & Reseller Hosting Since 2003
    Proud Moroccan

Quote Originally Posted by tickedon
    Dell Axim x51v. Like it a lot, use it for general stuff - AvantGo to keep up with the latest news, email on the move, and its diary/calender function etc.... Only suggestion is to apply any device updates/firmware improvements as these (at least for me) greatly improved the device.
    So I take it its powered by Win Mobile OS and Outlook is the email interface? How comfortable is it to work with emails on the device?

Also, what if the same email account installed on your desktop - how do you make sure both receive same emails (so you can keep track of what you responded to and not?)

Thank you.

PDA's a perfectly fine with or without a keyboard. Without though takes getting used too.

The best keyboard i have ever seen or tried was the IF one. Paints a surface with a fullsized infrared keyboard and it's IO is through bluetooth. It will work with most bluetooth capable PDA's but there is always the off chance it won't work with some models.
    Web Host Magazine & Buyers Guide
    Web Host Magazine & Buyer's Guide
    Fair & Objective Reviews, Ratings & Information
    since 1997

I've had couple Palm's, older ones, but have a Dell x51v now. Sits on my desk collecting dust. LOL.

my pda phone logs Used: mda, sda, treo 700w, PCC-6700. I couldn't be happier after switching to treo 700wx.
    P4HOST.COM -- Specialize in quality Web Hosting solutions.
    Affordable -- Prices are very comparative
    Reliable -- Very low load average guaranteed. 60 day money back. Fast Support --Support Forum -- Providing hosting since 2003

I have an MDA Compact II. Looking to get a Sony Ericsson M600i when UK networks have finished testing the phone.
    It's Scott!

I have a Treo 650 and use it regularly with Chatteremail and Mobile Termserv, the mobile terminal services is far better than a pocket pc app, and the chatteremail uses regualr imap for push email.

If my treo were to die today, I'd put down the $550 for another one in a second.

I would love to get the flip up display nokia, like the one in the Saint. It would probably be more a toy than anything lol
    Web Host Magazine & Buyers Guide
    Web Host Magazine & Buyer's Guide
    Fair & Objective Reviews, Ratings & Information
    since 1997

Quote Originally Posted by (Stephen)
    the chatteremail uses regualr imap for push email.
    For technically challenged, how does IMAP works, and what is its advantage over POP? Which is more beneficial to PDA users?

The Palm TX I will be getting shortly is using VersaMail software for email work, and I believe it does not offer IMAP.
    http://www.palm.com/ca/products/hand...versamail.html

EDIT: Looks like Palm supports both IMAP and POP. But I still do not know the difference between the two.
    Last edited by Artashes; 09-26-2006 at 05:24 PM.

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

So I take it its powered by Win Mobile OS and Outlook is the email interface? How comfortable is it to work with emails on the device?

Also, what if the same email account installed on your desktop - how do you make sure both receive same emails (so you can keep track of what you responded to and not?)

Thank you.
    You can easily use the same POP3 account for your PDA and desktop then synchronize your outlook once you get to your desktop computer

Cheers,
    RofyHost - Affordable Shared & Reseller Hosting Since 2003
    Proud Moroccan

My new toy, the Cingular 8125 "HTC Wizard" is very nice and handy, not very fast on the EDGY Network for browsing, but very fast for Email and Messaging etc..

█• Taskade - To-Do List & Tasks All-in-One To-Do List & Mind Map App for Remote Teams
    █• Simple and shareable to-do lists for web, mobile, and desktop
    █• To-Do List Templates 300+ shareable templates and productivity workflows
    █• Get things done, faster and smarter! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

For technically challenged, how does IMAP works, and what is its advantage over POP? Which is more beneficial to PDA users?

The Palm TX I will be getting shortly is using VersaMail software for email work, and I believe it does not offer IMAP.
    http://www.palm.com/ca/products/hand...versamail.html

EDIT: Looks like Palm supports both IMAP and POP. But I still do not know the difference between the two.
    with POP you download the mail from the server and then read it, with IMAP you leave the mail on the server and just read it directly.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Quote Originally Posted by layer0
    with POP you download the mail from the server and then read it, with IMAP you leave the mail on the server and just read it directly.
    Yep, but thats not true in all cases, usually on PDA especially with Windows Mobile you can just check for Outlook to leave the copy of the email on your server and download a copy onto your phone, works quite well.

Cheers
    █• Taskade - To-Do List & Tasks All-in-One To-Do List & Mind Map App for Remote Teams
    █• Simple and shareable to-do lists for web, mobile, and desktop
    █• To-Do List Templates 300+ shareable templates and productivity workflows
    █• Get things done, faster and smarter! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

Versamail even with IMAP does NOT support push, it is why I purchased chatteremail.

Dell Axim and Palm based Phone (not Treo)

I use my PDA not so much for mail but more for calendar/address/todo functions and a password program to keep my data safe. This was the one reason I switched from a normal phone to a PDA/Phone.
    Computer: A machine that can make the wrong decision faster that you!

I use a Treo 650, and am quite happy with it. (Internet access anywhere I've got a cell phone.) My advice: if you don't use it for all of your contacts/appointments, it's utterly useless.

Some advice:

- Back it up (HotSync) often. Every few months mine locks up and requires a hard reset.

- GNU Keyring [ http://gnukeyring.sourceforge.net/ ] stores passwords using Blowfish encryption. Very, very useful.

- Dopewars for the Palm is the best game ever.

- I use VersaMail for e-mail. It's so-so.

Thanks very much everyone. I think I get how to properly sync email data. So if I download email from server and then respond to it on Palm device, if I sync the device, the Outlook will create mirror image of what happened by storing the sent email in sent folder and downloaded image in inbox?

FOG, thanks for those tips and links. I didn't hear about Dopewars, but I purchased Monopoly from Handmark - its terrific as well.

I want one of those new Blackberry Pearls - they look pretty snazzy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast