Moving from Dedicated to VPS

Hi guys,

I just bought about 150+ domains from a web hosting company that cannot stand any longer in the business. They are using Plesk Reloaded right now, and hosted on a dedicated server, but using a small resource. Like, only using 150-200 GB/mth of bandwith for the past 6 months, CPU resource is always below 15%, RAM usage is always small, etc.

So I'm considering to put them in a VPS. What do you guys think? Is a VPS can handle these domains? Im also planning to use clientexec, and installatron. Will these 2 fit on Plesk8? I now I can send email to CE and Installatron, but I hope I can hear from user opinion.

Is a VPS with 512 MB of RAM is enough? or should I go with 1GB?

Thank you,
    Ridwan

What are the specs of the dedicated server all these sites are currently on?
    Koroush Ghazi
    Owner/Author
    TweakGuides.com
    Currently Hosted by: EuroVPS

What are the specs of your current dedicated server?

You'll need to be careful to ensure that you'll get the equevalent of that "15%" or better CPU time. If a VPS host uses the same CPU(s) as your current setup on their nodes then you'll want them to bt putting no more than 6 VPSs on each node if they are giving a garanteed "fair" share.

Also: do you know how much disc access is normal? If your sites use a large database then this will be significant because one of the biggest bottle necks on a VPS arrangement is when a couple of the virtual machines are accessing the drives at the same time. Even with a good RAID solution this will result in all the simultanious accesses being slower than they would be on lower spec dedicated machine. Of course if you sites are not that disc intensive, or not that speed sensative, this is not really a problem.

The big thing with a VPS is make sure you get enough garanteed RAM and other related system quotas or your VPS will crawl.

You may well be able to find a good high-spec VPS from a reliable provider that will equal or better your needs for less cost than your current dedicated - but you'll need to give us a little more detail before the good people on can make more specific recommendations. You might also consider a budget dedicated rather than a VPS, i.e. slightly older kit cheaper than your current setup, such setups are sometimes seen in the offers forums - just try make sure you go with a provider that is no less reliable then the one you are using now.

Currently they are on a FC2 box. P4 2.8GHz, IDE HD and 1GB of RAM. And I am sure that these sites will still good even if I put them on a Celeron or Sempron. Most of them are static html pages.

It's okay to put them on 2 vps if needed. How about that? Better go with a cheap dedicated server, or high-spec VPS, or split them to 2 small VPS? I am talking about 2 vps, each with 256MB or more, and burstable to 512MB or 1GB.

Since your not utilizing a lot of resources one beefy VPS may justify it, as well as being easier to manage for yourself rather then 2. Depending on the company you will find VPS Host Nodes ranging from Dual Opteron's/Xeon's to Dual Core Quad Opterons. So it would mainly depend on who you go with as a provider which situation would be better for you regarding 1 or 2 VPS'