Currently I already have my site running on a shared server. I am thinking of getting an AMD sever at Layered Tech.
I am new to dedicated server and have no past experience with it.
I am running my online shop using OSCommerce installed via cPanel Fantastico with MySQL 4.x. I have about 500 products online.
This is what I plan to get from Layered Tech:
* AMP Barton 3000
* 160GB Hard Drive
* 1024MB RAM
* Bandwidth: 1500GB
* IP Addresses: 8 (5 usable)
* Private VLAN
* Basic Resource Monitoring
* FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Linux, Windows*
* 100% Self Managed and Dedicated
1. Is the above system good?
2. Should I choose Centos 3.x or 4.x?
3. I plan to use cpanel/WHM with fantastico as well, any comment?
4. Is MySQL automatically installed? What version of MySQL will be installed?
5. My main customers are from Malaysia, is Savvis datacenter good for that?
First of all, please note that server with LT is unmanaged.
To answer your questions,
1. Barton is good enough server.
2. Get CentOS 4.x
3. Get Cpanel/WHM, it will make your hosting life easier.
4. If with Cpanel, yes, mysql is pre installed, vesion is 4.1x but you have an option to upgrade to 5.x
5. Savvis is excellent in Malaysia.
Regards and Good Luck!
DedicatedPlace.com - The Only Place to be... [email protected] * Affordable, No Setup Fee, Fully Managed Dedicated Servers with Daily Remote Backup. External Server Management & Monitoring also available.
1. That specs from LT is good for you. My only advice is to get also a second hard drive to backup your website via Cpanel's backup function in WHM.
2. Cent OS 4.x
3. Get cPanel/WHM. If Fantastico is free, why not?
4. Most servers have MySQL installed. Better get that 5.x version but be sure your website script is ready for that.
5. There is no problem if you are in Malaysia.