need recommendations

i need to look for a new web host and need some help, im not very familiar with all the web hosting terms and not sure exactly how much space/bandwidth i need. this is what i need to be able to host in my account:

2-5 websites (meaning 2 to 5 totally separate miniaccounts/domains, not the subdomain.mainaccountdomain.com deal ) <-- by the way, how do you tell if a host lets you do which one because sometimes i get confused on this. most will say you can host multiple websites, but technically that means they can just let you have it on a subdomain?

i need about 3 mysql databases.

one of the websites will be a blog site and mostly all text, i get about 150 hits a month so i dont think this will be a lot of bandwidth.

one will be a site that has a lot of images though (just a personal site, have a few image galleries, the images will not be big) and this site gets about 5 hits a month.

the rest will be mostly text based, very minimum images, and will be php/database sites (does bandwidth also go into how much the database is used??) i am planning on one of them to be an ecommerce thing though so the host cant chronically have downtime, cant have server/security issues.

if anyone has some good hosts to recommend then please help me out and post some suggestions here. most plans look like they want you to pay in advance (in 6 month or 1 year deals) so reliability and no downtime is really important since i dont want to have to change hosts too much. i have a decent amount of money to spend but not too much like most dedicated deals costs. thanks in advance for any advice.

Hi,

From your thread it seems like you should be fine with any minimal hosting packages and you probably won't need much storage or bandwidth, most budgets probably provide a lot more than you will use in terms of disk space and quota, so just look around and go with the one you think have the best features/services.

Good luck.
    CirtexHosting Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
    LINUX based cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Fantastico
    HostV VPS Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    We transfer your sites over quickly! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

3. You should be fine with just a basic shared hosting package. If you find a hosting provider that will give you several addon-domain names then it should work out for you well.

thanks guys as for the separate domains though, should i look for the term 'addon domain' , what is the 'additional subdomains' and 'parked domains' ?? i will be calling everyone first (the web hosts i mean) to clarify but i would like tounderstand this finally and also to narrow down my results to a few so i dont have to call around so much

Quote Originally Posted by bluestripes
    thanks guys as for the separate domains though, should i look for the term 'addon domain' , what is the 'additional subdomains' and 'parked domains' ?? i will be calling everyone first (the web hosts i mean) to clarify but i would like tounderstand this finally and also to narrow down my results to a few so i dont have to call around so much
    Hi,

Most hosts won't list as Addon Domains but rather say how many domains you can host and so on. Addon domain is very nice for most users, basically you need to manage all the domains in one control panel. While if you purchased a more expensive Reseller Account, you can manage each domain seperately through different control panel logins. ( more organized )

Parked domain just basically mirrors the domain to your main domain on account.

Good luck.
    CirtexHosting Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
    LINUX based cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Fantastico
    HostV VPS Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    We transfer your sites over quickly! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

You are right. You may want to probably look around first, search and read some post here with "best webhosts" or "best hosting" and stuff like that before you even start calling.

See also the Offers section of WHT. There are lots of nice packages there that you may want to consider as you start small scale.

Good luck.
    Don't Lose Your Website Ever Again!
    Backup All Your Domains and MySQL Databases Automatically
    Grab this Website Backup Software today.

try to search web hosting that provides all unlimited feature. There're tons out there nowadays. unlimited bandwidth, unlimited addon.....

surely you are not suggesting the OP should go for an unlimited package?!

I would go back to the first couple of posts in this thread as an unlimited package is not really for you since you have low usage requirements. By avoiding these largely oversold hosts, generally you have a better chance of finding a host that fits your needs with more reliability.
    Othio Hosting - Private-Label cPanel Reseller Hosting
    True 24x7 Support | SSD Storage | cPanel+WHM | R1Soft Backups

thanks guys for all the comments so far. i dont think i really need unlimited features as i will only use like 2-5 emails, domains, etc. of the basic stuff. i have narrowed some of my choices down it seems like most of them will be more than i need (in order to get the multiple website feature, a lot of the webhosts dont offer this in basic plans).

another question i have is how do i tell how reliable is a host?? since i am paying (i used to have free hosting) most of the plans are in yearly or 6 month deals so reliability is really important.

i usually try to look and see how long a webhost has been around as one indicator but is there anything else i can do?? there are a lot of offers on here but most do not look very reliable, obviously if so many people are trying to run a webhosting business everyday i think that a lot of people are also dropping their web hosting business everyday too. any tips for finding out how 'stable' the webhosting business is??