How much is this site i made worth?

I have spent right much time on it. I made it for a friend who sells AKC bassets.
    All the graphics where made in PhotoShop yes i know they are not much. and the site is still not complete. I really don't know what to charge her, i thought if you guys see the site you could give me a guess. It's just a simple design.

I don't know how often i will have to update it once it's done she is still emailing me pictures.

http://www.huckleberrymtnbassets.com/index.php

know one has any idea of how much i should charge?

How long did it take you to make it, is it strictly html or is there a backend to it? How good of a friend?
    Who is General Fault, and why is he reading my disk?

i am no expert but i wouldnt pay much more then $20-$30 for it as it is very basic

You know, it looks like what you've designed suits their style pretty nicely, reading through their content and looking through pictures. There's nothing wrong with a basic site, so long as it fits the image of the business, and this seems to do the trick pretty well. I would like to see a logo that incorporates the hound in it, maybe a silhouette or something. Imagery that suits the content is key, and you have to get past a few paragraphs on the home page before you're treated to any Basset visuals. That would be my one suggestion - probably pretty easy to manage.

Depending on how much time you spent making the site and how close you are as friends, and since it's a pretty basic site all round, I would expect a basic, custom site like this to go for $500 - 1,000 (in real world money, not WHT funny money - WHT must have its own, very strong economy, because it seems like every real world dollar is worth about .10 here).

Oh yeah - moved to Web Site Reviews
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

Quote Originally Posted by ethix
    i am no expert but i wouldnt pay much more then $20-$30 for it as it is very basic
    I know it's worth more than that. Compare it to other basset sites and i don't think it looks to bad most of the others i seen didn't even bother to resize there images.

I have been working on it for a few weeks mainly because she only sends one or two pictures at a time and it's still missing info.....most of it i had to come up with on my own, i came up with the categories and the info in them she didn't know what kind of site she wanted at all.

Shes a good friend i bought a basset from her and she wouldn't give me any kind of discount.

I also bought the domain for her and picked the host etc.

I wish i new how to make a basset into the logo itself thats one tutorial i haven't seen yet. I never went to school for this i was self taught.

When someone tells you that they want a site don't they usally tell you the info to put on it?

WHT funny money?

Quote Originally Posted by bkrall
    WHT funny money?
    I think he's referring to the type of individuals that price a website at an "un-real" value or something that is not close to it's actual value. In other words, the price that a designer would normally charge for something like that because his client has a budget of oh say... $10.00 for an entire 40 page website with a custom logo, stationary and flash intro (Major exageration... In most cases ) -- Correct me if I'm wrong though.

So i should charge 20 bucks?

Quote Originally Posted by Techpresence
    I think he's referring to the type of individuals that price a website at an "un-real" value or something that is not close to it's actual value. In other words, the price that a designer would normally charge for something like that because his client has a budget of oh say... $10.00 for an entire 40 page website with a custom logo, stationary and flash intro (Major exageration... In most cases ) -- Correct me if I'm wrong though.
    You're correct. In my experience on WHT, and it has been reasonably extensive, about 2/3 of the time, when someone puts a monetary value on another's work, you can multiply that amount by ten and get a reasonable figure in "real world" money.

In the case of the previous suggestion in this thread, I would say multiple the suggested amount by 20-30x, and you'd arrive at a reasonable figure.

So i should charge 20 bucks?
    No. Unless you're high enough on some sort of illegal substance to believe someone who tells you your work is only worth that much, please choose a real-world monetary sum, and to repeat and reaffirm myself, do not value your work in terms of WHT funny money. I stick by my original valuation of $500-1,000.
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

I guess you can charge some 150-200US$ for this website, Its reasonable because you have to take care for updating pics/stuff for an year.

Please give me an idea, why you use .php extension, I see no SS Scripting, these are just static pages that work more fast in a static html request, But you give them php extension, that every page need to get interpreted before coming to client machine.

Rest these kinds of websites designs were right common 8 years before. If you were to design it 8 years before, i am very sure for 1000+ US$.

Quote Originally Posted by D'Godown
    I guess you can charge some 150-200US$ for this website, Its reasonable because you have to take care for updating pics/stuff for an year.

Please give me an idea, why you use .php extension, I see no SS Scripting, these are just static pages that work more fast in a static html request, But you give them php extension, that every page need to get interpreted before coming to client machine.

Rest these kinds of websites designs were right common 8 years before. If you were to design it 8 years before, i am very sure for 1000+ US$.
    They are .php pages because i have a php script on every page so i can see what pages get visted the most and help the ones with only a few page views. There is a total of 31 pages 21 of them are auto generated with Arles.

I'm sure there will be more pages later on.

For example the thumbnail galley no one clicks on the thumb nails the thumbs nails lead to a full size picture and some tell you something about the picture.
    Last edited by CPUNut; 09-26-2006 at 09:39 PM.

It's all about how you value your time and energy. Charge what you feel it is worth. I'd suggest $100-$300 for that as something not too out of line.
    Benoît Brookens III
    President - Dataracks, Inc.
    Dataracks.net | Ultra-Reliable Hosting.™

Well, you should charge what you feel is right for the amount of time you have been spending on it.

Though I think pricing should be discussed before you even started working on a website, so both you and your friend know what it'll cost. Now if you finish the site, and you suddenly ask an amount of money that is really not what your friend had in mind in the first place (tight budget maybe?), you could end up with problems.

In your case, I would decide (for myself) how I value my work and energy, and then communicate it towards your friend and have an open conversation about it.
    Communication is everything.
    zenndex - custom website design & unique templates- zenndex.com
    Only one chance to make a first impression ... Give your website a unique look

Here's an idea of what the site I work at charges. $300 for a basic html page + $35 per basic subpage. That doesn't include altering, creating, or resizing images those are extra charges. Just remeber your work is worth something and you should be paid for it.

thanks for all the info guys i think $400 is a good deal seeing as how i will have to update the site for a few years! I don't think she would pay anymore than that and she is a friend we worked togeather for a few years.

She has already paid for 6 months of webhosting.

Sounds like a very reasonable, friend-based price.

With a little foresight, you could have traded a site for a puppy

Quote Originally Posted by the_pm
    Sounds like a very reasonable, friend-based price.

With a little foresight, you could have traded a site for a puppy
    That's what I would've done!! Bartering for an expensive pup I think $400 is a reasonable friend discount price...
    Hi! My name is Christina Chun and I'm an Artist.

Quote Originally Posted by Christina
    That's what I would've done!! Bartering for an expensive pup I think $400 is a reasonable friend discount price...
    lol I should have it's been almost a year since i bought one from her