anyone using serverbeach? I have some questions

hi, serverbeach.com isn't offering DNS but an ip. I just wonder how do I point domain names to my server? I went to opensrs(https://manage.opensrs.net/) to change the current name servers of my domains but it asks for name server...

help plz

Assuming you've set up the DNS on your machine, you need to scroll down to the last line(s) of the name server page @ opensrs, to add aname server under your primary domain. (Click where it says "Click here" )

or if you do not have the ability to do DNS on your own machine (since you only have 1 IP), you should consider using an outsourced DNS service.

www.everydns.net is easy and it's also free.

you setup your domain using their online system, then just change your domain information at your registrar to point to the everydns.net dns servers (they have 3 servers now i think. 1 of them in europe!!).

and, everydns are active on WHT. (of course, if you use their service, you should consider giving them a nice donation)

I've requested one more additional ip for my server.
    I just wonder if I need to add some lines or command on my linux dedicated server first before I go to https://manage.opensrs.net/ ?

thanks

Well, do you currently run a name server ?

If so, and it's working correctly, then you can go to opensrs. If not, then the fun begins and you need to set up one.

And it's a bit more complicated than just a one line command... You should get a good book on Bind in that case.

no, not in serverbeach servers.
    is it possible for you to list step by step command please?
    using abc.com as an example ...

If I'm not mistaking, sonic is running Plesk, I am wrong about this? If you are running Plesk, then there should be no linux commands to enter, and no immediate need to learn BIND (it would be good to learn it for further knowledge), as Plesk automates almost everything having to do with DNS. Once again, it is simply pointing ns1.yourdomain.com to a IP on your server. That should do the job.
    Matt De Leon
    GreekComm - http://www.greekcomm.com/
    Online Community for Greek Fraternities and Sororities.

yes smidwap
    thanks for you help

I found the command in plesk.
    I will try it once my additional ip is issued.

sonic,
    hopefully this helps a little bit.

first, you will have to register your nameserver on a domain you are using with the box. with your registrar (open srs?). i have used go daddy and netsol before and it was quite quite easy. so, opensrs should have a way for you to add your nameservers (in the control panel for your domain. ns1.domain.com > IP1 & ns2.domain.com > IP2). this should be free. after you do this, it will take a day or two for them to propogate. then:

http://forum.plesk.com/showthread.php?threadid=1048
    is a quick lesson on how to setup your DNS using plesk (which is what i believe you're using at serverbeach).

it's extremely easy through plesk and that should help you out very much.

then, after you've done this, you have to go to your registrar, open the control panel of your domain, and change the nameservers on the account to point to the ones you setup a few days prior.

or again, if you do not want to go through all of that trouble, it's very simple to just use www.everydns.net for free.

HOWEVER,
    i AM under the impression you will need a total of 3 IPs. 2 for nameservers + 1 for namebased hosting. but, i alse believe you can do namebased hosting on one of the IPs you used for the nameserver. maybe someone else can clear that up.

small question about this same subject ... does CPanel4™/WHM™ also manage DNS/Bind-stuff ?

Originally posted by XanTium
    small question about this same subject ... does CPanel4™/WHM™ also manage DNS/Bind-stuff ?
    Yes, with WHM you can work with DNS zones
    Norm Sherman @ Netacore
    Fast/Reliable cPanel hosting on premium bandwidth
    http://netacore.com

You can always install bind *rather easy* and then run webmin dns module for web based configuration panel

www.isc.org
    www.webmin.net