Cage space in Chicago

We are looking to move colo's asap and I'm running into issues finding carrier neutral data centers that can provide cage space at an affordable price. We are looking for around 250 sq feet and 8 racks to start with. Any suggestions? Level3 wanted 40k just for the build out. I have been trying to find a working number for Qwest at the Lakeside Technology Center but none of the numbers I've found work. Thanks!

check chicagocolo.net good list of providers.

If you want carrier neutral why are you contacting Level3 and Qwest rather then Equinix?

Where are you located now?

Bandwidth at Qwests data center is probably on the pricey side

We are getting pricing and taking a tour of Equinix today. I got pricing from L3 and Qwest just so I could give our CTO an idea. I've been avoiding Equinix because I doubt that it will be in our range. I think we are paying about 9-11k a month right now. We are hosting downtown at Navisite but they have huge power problems. We have no complaints about their Oak Brook location where we have our second site. Switch and Data looked promising but I keep thinking bait and switch. Any problems with these guys? Pricing isn't bad at all but I'm not sure how the expansion will work out or if the facility itself has issues.

What is your power requitements and how much bandwidth do you need?

You might be better off trying to just get 8 racks as cages will almost always take longer for set up.

For 9-11k you should have no problem finding what you want.

2 20 amp circuits per rack and we are not looking to purchase b/w from the colo. We want a cage because we would have room to expand and not have to deal with multiple racks broken up all over the facility and also to cut down on cross connect fees. As far as a budget I'm only told when the price is right so it's a bit hard to work around.

Quote Originally Posted by rezidue
    2 20 amp circuits per rack and we are not looking to purchase b/w from the colo. We want a cage because we would have room to expand and not have to deal with multiple racks broken up all over the facility and also to cut down on cross connect fees. As far as a budget I'm only told when the price is right so it's a bit hard to work around.
    http://www.digitalrealtytrust.com//p...new.asp?pid=71

You should go and see as many Data Centers as possible in Chicago and then you will be in great shape to pick the one that best meets your requirements.

Not to sound like a dick but is this a legit facility? I can't find a number for them, the conatct button opens an email to support@ which bounces back saying you have to register your address. Then if you click on the support link from the site you get brought to some app that has an invalid license.

Jaybirdsmith, Do you happen to know of who else might be in this building? Equinix owns the property right? I've been there for Qwest, Server Central and I think one other data center but I'm having trouble putting a name on it. I might be confusing it with the main Equinix center. Is it possible that i have a misunderstanding of Equinix? If I remember right the Lakeside Technology Center (350 Cermack) is an extension of Equinix and not the main facility?

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Music, it's hard to visit every data center because we are non-stop from open to close. That's why I'm trying to get pricing before we even step foot into a facility.

If anyone has any other suggestions I'd love to hear them.

WHT members can not solicit on the forums including giving pricing.

Good Luck

Equinix does not own 350 E. Cermak, they have the 5th floor I believe....

Digital Realty Trust looks like the owners....

Steadfast.net is in that building as well...you could contact Karl and see what they would charge you. You would still have the great access to bandwidth.

Quote Originally Posted by music
    WHT members can not solicit on the forums including giving pricing.

Good Luck
    I only meant that we have been getting quotes directly from the colo before coming out for a site visit.

Cage space in Lakeside? $$$
    Joseph Laws
    President - Hi-Definition Gaming LLC

(http://www.hd-gaming.com)
    Professional Gaming Services For The Professional Gamer