Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
    We used to use Cpanel for a long time until 3 years ago. It was just becoming a heache. Revaluated with other admin panels and Hsphere was a much better solution (we were expanding so it was woth the time) over the past 3 years Hsphere became more and more stable and reliable. I certainly recommend.
    You can even import cpanel accounts which is nice.
    getting it to work requires some work (RTFM). Once it is up, it is nice and smooth.
    Psoft support is great if you ever have any issues.
    For now, I have to say, Hsphere really rocks.
    GS RichCopy 360 Enterprise - Voted #1 for data migration and replication in terms of performance and features. Replicate data across between servers in the same network, WAN, or even across the internet - Many customer call it RSync for Windows

Quote Originally Posted by ad572
    Am I off base in these thoughts?
    Do you remember CPanel 3? As in version 3? If you don't, then you don't really know what bad is. The current versions of CPanel are really good. The problems you've seen are likely from clueless providers as much as they are from CPanel.

If you pay attention, running a CPanel server is really easy, and rarely should it go down due to problems. (I know I've been doing it for 5+ years now.)

The fact that hackers target CPanel is a sign of its popularity. Same as Windows XP. Its not that Mac OS X is _that_ much more secure - its that hacking XP gives a hacker a 15x fold increase in targets.

So, in a nutshell, CPanel isn't perfect, but its pretty good. I recommend sticking with it.

Take care,

Brian
    :: 1StopWebHosting.com :: - Professional Web Hosting Services
    ::
    :: Featuring the CPanel Control Panel running on CENTOS Linux servers
    :: We offer Shared Web Hosting, Business Hosting, Java / J2EE Servers and Dedicated Server solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by CartikaHosting
    . . . Ironically enough, it is automated to move from cpanel to hsphere, but not from hsphere to hsphere.
    I've wondered as to why that is the case. I think the h-sphere developers didn't want to make it too easy for h-sphere clients to jump between h-sphere hosts, so h-sphere hosts couldn't "poach" from other h-sphere hosts. If there's poaching to be done, they prefer it was done on the cpanel hosts.

My theory.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

Quote Originally Posted by Harmolodic
    Not to start an argument here (as I am not competent in questions of server security), but I thought others might be interested to know Cpanel Nick's view on chrooted environment posted two years back on Cpanel forums :

The complete topic is here: http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=18902
    Correct but...

Harddrives are huge these days and I think extra space requirements is a very small price to pay for system security dont you?

Performance would only be affected if your stuffing the server full of unlimited domain plans...

... Any host selling realistic hosting packages will find their model works perfectly on Ensim based hosting environments. Its just a case of keeping everything in perspective and being realistic.

Of course a cpanel person is going to try and put down a chroot environment, becuase there competitor has made it happen, but if disk space and performance are the only two (very week) arguments they have managed to come up with then Ensim is a winner

Quote Originally Posted by CartikaHosting
    It would be a manual process for that move. Ironically enough, it is automated to move from cpanel to hsphere, but not from hsphere to hsphere.
    That pretty much maps my strategy then. Try a site or two somewhere and if they work fine, setup a new server or two on H-Sphere and go from there.

It looks like Windows doesn't work for the starting point. We currently use FreeBSD, but then there is also Linux. Does it matter if you start on FreeBSD or Linux?

Other than twice the licensing cost, can I easily have two servers sharing a load and if one goes bad, than the sites remain running including e-mail, FTP, etc.?

The licensing looks like a 1-time $4.50 per domain, and that is reusable for the next domain?

What about parking domains, e-mail only domains, do they take a license?

What about system-wide, server-wide, and domain-wide off-site backup and restore? How easy is that?

How easy is it to do software upgrades like PHP and Apache without making problem for the control panel?

Do they have anything like Installatron?

Quote Originally Posted by UH-Matt
    ... but if disk space and performance are the only two (very week) arguments they have managed to come up with then Ensim is a winner

Actually it was Nick's third argument that seemed the most worrying, at least to a person not entirely knowledgeable on matters of Linux chroot

Linux chroot() isn't secure anyways. Once you obtain root in the chroot you can easily get out anyways.

Yep - if your not knowledgeable and something worries you, you should read up on it or ask your host, rather than trust what someone who doesnt use the system says

Good point, but sometimes it is better to leave such discussions to the experts and listen to their recommendations. I would certainly be happy to receive more input from the WHT community, preferably with some argumentation

Based on vulnerability statistics, Ensim's security appears to be superior, but it is still not perfect. Didn't Ensim Pro have a privilege escalation vulnerability not that far ago? This is where I like the idea shared by many that when security is truly your #1 priority and you do not worry about disk storage, performance and higher costs in general, complete virtualization would seem like a less half-done solution.

Just wanted to express my opinion on this interesting matter

I've been using Cpanel for the longest time and Plesk recently.

When it comes to security for control panels, I think all control panels are really "technically equilvalent". My reasoning behind that is, usually the most used software will be the one that is exploited and therefore causing security issues. There has been long discussions that Microsoft Windows is insecure versus Linux. I don't believe that is a valid comparison, look at the number of users of Windows vs Linux and then you will see why there are security flaws. Is because things are commonly used therefore people find ways to exploit openings. Just like Cpanel vs Plesk,Ensim,Helm, DAdmin, etc ,etc. Cpanel definitely is the most used control panel and probably has the most "known" security issues. But thats mainly because it is most used. If Plesk was the most used control panel out there, I am sure it would be rated the worst control panel for security as well. Same applies with the Windows vs Linux example. If the entire world was using Linux, I am sure more security exploits would be found over Windows.
    GameWarrior.net - Bringing Gaming To The Next Level
    GamingMonkeys.com - Come Play Fun Flash Games !

That reminds me its kind of like virus scanning programs. Norton/mcafee vs. the unknown scanners....

Just wanted to give my two cents.

cPanel has been my favorite control panel for quite some time now. Haven't had the problems you've mentioned, so I'm reluctant to letting it go.

Quote Originally Posted by IT_Architect
    The licensing looks like a 1-time $4.50 per domain, and that is reusable for the next domain?

What about parking domains, e-mail only domains, do they take a license?

What about system-wide, server-wide, and domain-wide off-site backup and restore? How easy is that?

How easy is it to do software upgrades like PHP and Apache without making problem for the control panel?

Do they have anything like Installatron?
    1. Actually, it's 1 license = 1 customer. That customer (license) can hold an infinite ammount of domains under it (unless the plan dictates otherwise) and it is reusable should that customer cancel. You can also get cheaper pricing going through an authorized reseller of them.

2. Unless they are in their own end-user account, no.

3. Backups are very easy - you can set up an rsync (or other script of your choice) to automatically backup the data at whatever interval you would like. You can also use a commercial solution if you choose.

4. Psoft generally won't support custom installs like that. However, it's not *too* difficult to custom compile PHP (just needs the installation of a few packages before hand).

5. Yes - it's called EasyApps.
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

Thanks TONS! for those answers.

Thanks TONS! for those answers.
    Not a problem
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

You can run H-Sphere on a single server without issue, however, you may not want to run it on a VPS - the CP service is a little too heavy for most VPS situations.
    However, from what I'm now reading, the control panel service runs on only one server instead of on each server, is that correct or no?

However, from what I'm now reading, the control panel service runs on only one server instead of on each server, is that correct or no?
    That is correct. However, the CP server itself can cluster if it has to.

Quote Originally Posted by mripguru
    That is correct. However, the CP server itself can cluster if it has to.
    The control panel can be clustered meaning that it doesn't cost more than the additional install fee and it is automatic where you don't need to put in place your own measures to synchronize databases?

If you cluster other servers, such as e-mail or simply hosting servers, you do pay additional license fees or not, since it is licensed per user?

Please correct any mis perceptions:
    - H-Sphere is account based similar to ModernBill. For that reason, you won't be using it to sell domains apart from hosting accounts because of the cost.
    - To support the smooth scaling and roll-outs, you need to stick pretty much with the stock configuration.
    - It COULD work fine with VPSs, such as Virtuozzo, as long as they are not running the control panel process and they are running a compatible operating system. However, the problem with VPSs is if you allow people to install things that mess up H-Sphere's management of the server. If you don't allow them to do this, then it takes away the main advantage of a VPS.
    - I'm guessing that the accounts and billing are as automatic as packages such as AWBS or ModernBill.
    Last edited by IT_Architect; 10-03-2006 at 03:22 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345