PayPal & 2CheckOut Refunds

I'm in the final stages of completing an ebook. At this point PayPal is the preferred payment method. 2CheckOut is also being considered.

The plan is when a customer asks for a refund they will need to email a code that is provided when the ebook is disabled. Has anyone had experience with this approach and what kind of luck have you had in getting PayPal and/or 2CheckOut to cooperate in requiring the code before giving a refund.

OR is it futile and a waste of time?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Storyman
    I'm in the final stages of completing an ebook. At this point PayPal is the preferred payment method. 2CheckOut is also being considered.

The plan is when a customer asks for a refund they will need to email a code that is provided when the ebook is disabled. Has anyone had experience with this approach and what kind of luck have you had in getting PayPal and/or 2CheckOut to cooperate in requiring the code before giving a refund.

OR is it futile and a waste of time?

Usually the software/e-books non refundable, once an software/e-books has been issued, it is not possible to recall all copies. I never seen the ebook with password - except Adobe Acrobat Reader file, but onces it will be open no one can stop the access to it again.
    Low Cost Storage VPS plans at webprovps.com
    VPS Price Match Guarantee on: All our range of DDOS protected XEN HVM VPS
    == Contact us for any online solution development or managed / unmanaged vps hosting ==

Ideally, a customer should be contacting you directly if they're requesting a refund. Once you've agreed to refund their PayPal payment, you can use the refund link on the transaction details page for their payment to issue the refund. The refund link is available for 60 days after the payment is made.

If the customer files a Buyer Complaint, then one of your options is to issue a full refund. However, if the buyer has not met your conditions for a refund, you can indicate to PayPal that the purchase is a digital product (for example, by putting "digital goods" into the tracking number field if the buyer claimed they did not receive the item) and PayPal should close the complaint because Buyer Complaints do not cover intangible goods.

If the customer contacts their credit card company and requests a chargeback, then PayPal will pull the charged-back funds from your account. You can dispute a chargeback by providing more information about the purchase, such as your terms of sale and any evidence that the customer did receive and/or use the product, and PayPal will use that to dispute the chargeback - however, you may or may not win that dispute, depending on the credit card issuer's chargeback policies.
    Sell more worldwide! PayPal Website Payments Pro and Virtual Terminal now support 6 currencies and 174 countries

Quote Originally Posted by alex-developer
    Usually the software/e-books non refundable, once an software/e-books has been issued, it is not possible to recall all copies. I never seen the ebook with password - except Adobe Acrobat Reader file, but onces it will be open no one can stop the access to it again.
    Hi Alex,
    Yes, it is possible to lock an ebook after it has been purchased. There are several approaches to accomplish this. The one I'm using is built within the ebook itself. Other methods typically involve an online database, which means that the ebook must periodically verify itself by checking with the web site's database. I dislike the second option because it is an inconvenince for the customer.

Quote Originally Posted by paypalrb
    Ideally, a customer should be contacting you directly if they're requesting a refund. Once you've agreed to refund their PayPal payment, you can use the refund link on the transaction details page for their payment to issue the refund. The refund link is available for 60 days after the payment is made.
    Hi PayPalRB,

You mention that the refund link is available for 60 days. Does that mean the customer has 60 days to request a refund? What if I clearly state that there is a 30 day refund? Will PayPal adhere to my 30 day refund policy or automatically invoke their 60 day policy?

Also, if a customer first goes to PayPal for a refund will PayPal redirect them to the seller or automatically issue a refund? Is there a way to lock down the required procedure for refunds?

The refund link I mentioned is not a "request a refund" link for the buyer. It's a "refund this payment" link that YOU see in your account when you receive a payment.

The buyer doesn't get a "request a refund" link The only way for them to request PayPal to send a refund is to file a Buyer Complaint, and they're told when opening a Complaint that they should contact the merchant directly before filing one. If they still open a Buyer Complaint then PayPal will notify you and you will need to respond via the Resolution Center.
    Sell more worldwide! PayPal Website Payments Pro and Virtual Terminal now support 6 currencies and 174 countries