How can this CD problem/issue be fixed?

I backup to an external drive now but also backup onto a cd just to be even safer. But I'm having a problem with this blasted cd-rw.

The ONLY thing that I am backing up onto the cd-rw is some data I have saved in a single folder called "General". The content inside that folder is 700 MB big. The cd-rw allows 750 MB. Here's the problem... I backed up this "General" folder onto the cd-rw last week. I now need to back it up again onto that cd-rw to overwrite the old "General" folder with the newly updated "General" folder but when I try to back it up it says the cd-rw is full. Why is it doing that? Shouldn't it overwrite it?

Doesn't this stupid cd-rw realize that I'm NOT adding an additional 700 Mb of data to it... it should overwrite it since it's the exact same folder name! Seems the only way to fix this is to erase the cd-rw completely before I will be able to save the "General" onto it again but I do NOT want to do this. 3 out of 4 times I did this in the past these cd-rw's would become destroyed/corrupt once I erased it. What a piece of junk.

Does anybody know how I can make the cd-rw understand that it's suposed to overwrite the OLD "General" folder with the new "General" folder? I'm not adding an additional 700 MB to the cd-rw obviously... I'm just trying to overwrite...

This is really annoying

Hmmm, are you sure your writer supports re-writing?

That's the only problem i guess that can cause this

Didier

I have a cd-burner in my HP computer. I'm using cd-rw's though.. I didn't realize that some actual cd burners either support or do not support cd re-writing... does such a thing really exist?

I thought a cd burner was just that a cd burner.

I can easily overwrite data on the cd-rws of course... but only if there is plenty of space left on the cd-rw so that it can burn the data onto it all over again. This is crazy.

I backed up a folder named "General" (size of folder = 700 MB)... I burned this onto an empty/brand new cd-rw which has 750 MB of space no problem. But this week when I made some updates and needed to burn the (still 700 Mb sized) "General" folder onto the cd-rw again... but it says there is no room left on the cd-rw and won't let me! It's not over writing... but trying to burn it all over again... it should voerwrite since the folder name "General" is the same folder!

Anybody know what is going on or is this a normal nuisance aspect of using cd's?

Sure that exists.
    If you have CD-RW's but you only have a CD-R drive, than you can't re-write

You must have a CD-RW drive in order to do this

Didier

I see... but I CAN overwrite data on a cd-rw as long as there is enough room for the new data to be added since it's not really overwriting it but rather burning it again from scratch. I overwrite data on the cd-rws all the time... if the data is not too large though.

So even though I do have a cd burner and am using cd-rw's... I can't overwrite? I wish I had known this when I bought this lousy HP 3 years ago!

So if my PC was equipped with a cd-rw burner rather than a cd-r burner... then if I had burned a 700 MB folder named "General" onto the cd-rw for example... if I needed to re-burn this exact same 700 MB "General" folder onto the exact same cd-rw again... isntead of getting an error message saying "There is no more room on the disk".... I would be able to re-burn it again with no problems, right?

Because then my computer's cd-rw burner would see what was already on the cd-rw and simply overwrite it instead of re-burning from scratch?

I wish I had a dvd-rw burner on this lousy computer but I don't... I backup to an external driv but also like to have it on a cd just incase as well. This is a pain in the you know what... on my computer using a cd-r burner.

Depending on the software you are using to write to the CDRW, you may need to first format the disc. Go to the help section of the program, and search for "Erasing CDRW" or "Format".

Hope this helps.