PayPal payment received by non-member???

I do not have a PayPal account and do not advertise anywhere that I accept PayPal payments on my site. We have an e-mail address: xxxxxx at, this is used for all kinds of order confirmations, 2checkout confirmations (we use 2co to accept online payments), wire transfer instructions, etc.

Today I got a message to this xxxxxx at e-mail address:

"Dear [email protected],

You Have a Pending Payment.

"XYZ" just sent you a payment with PayPal.

Payment Details

Amount: xx.xx GBP
    Subject: MySitename
    Note: Order number xxxxxxxxxx

Simply click and complete PayPal's easy registration form to claim your funds.

PayPal lets users send funds to anyone with an email address. Use PayPal to settle restaurant bills with colleagues, pay friends for cinema tickets, or buy cricket memorabilia at an online auction. You can also send personalised funds requests to your friends for a group event or party.

For more information about PayPal, go to:

Welcome to PayPal.
    The PayPal Team"

At the beginning I thought that this is just a scam that leads to a website where I enter my card details, etc. But, checked the link on the e-mail, it seems to be OK.
    Checked the header:

Received: from ( [])
    by (Postfix) with SMTP id C9845184032
    for <[email protected]>; Sun, 24 Sep 2006 02:31:28 -0700 (PDT)

Everything seems to be OK and it looks like the mail was generated by PayPal server.

My question is: is it possible to receive payments by non-members?
    If yes, wat if I live in a country not accepted by PayPal? How to use "PayPal's easy registration form to claim my funds"? Is PayPal really that stupid? Or am I missing something?
    Founder of B2B Network and Singles & Dating
    >> Business Blog
    >> Business Links Directory

West Michigan, USA
    Don't click on the link. Go directly to Paypal's website and sign up there.

||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs! - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

San Jose, CA
    PayPal does allow account holderst to send money to email addresses and mobile phone numbers that are not yet registered to any account. When the payment is sent, PayPal provides instructions to the recipient on how to open an account and claim the funds. If the funds are not claimed within 30 days, they are returned to the sender.

If you're unsure whether to click the link in the email, you can go to the PayPal website and create a new account. As long as you use the same email address that received the payment email, then after signing up you should see a transaction in your account History that you can accept, or it might even be automatically added to your account balance (I'm not sure which).

If you do not live in a country that PayPal supports, you cannot sign up for an account, and you should contact the person who sent the payment and let them know you cannot receive the funds. They will have the ability to cancel the payment from within their PayPal account.
    Sell more worldwide! PayPal Website Payments Pro and Virtual Terminal now support 6 currencies and 174 countries