Thread: Black berry

Black berry

How many people here use black berrys for their webhosting company? What sort of features from it do you use? Which model do you have? Do you find it to be useful?
    XeHost.net - Hosting websites since 1999!
    Shared Hosting, Cloud Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting, and Dedicated Servers
    End-User Support, WHMCS, and WHMReseller Available on Reseller Plans!
    Follow us on Twitter - new special every Sunday! @XeHost

We currently use a Blackberry 7250 for our emergency support/outage notification and then I have a Treo 650 for my business use that allows me to SSH into our Servers should something go seriously wrong.

There are newer 7250's now that support EVDO which is what you need to allow your Blackberry to act as a modem. We don't have this one and the firmware upgrade has caused some reported problems.

It's a toss up between the Blackberry and the Treo, I just got the Treo as our business is growing rapidly and I couldn't do support anymore so I passed the Blackberry down to our Support guys.

The Treo has a lot of great features but the more you use, the quicker the battery goes south, plus, the Blackberry is really the only true "Push" based e-mail system out there, hence why Palm recently announced a partnership to use the "Push" technology from RIM.

Cheers!

/bin/false
    Jason (JC) Morris, Vice President - Technology
    TechWest Hosting - Enterprise Plesk & cPanel Hosting Since 2003!
    Shared & Reseller Hosting on Dell Quad Core 5420 Servers w/ RAID 10 in Multiple Datacenters!
    Ruby on Rails, FFMPEG, Fantastico, RVSiteBuilder, RVSkins, Nightly Off-site Backups, Clustered DNS!

I use a Treo 700p, it works great. I use ChatterMail for true push email (SMTP), TuSSH for SSH access, IM+ for instant messenger, and upIRC for IRC if needed. The browser speeds are great; much faster than my brother's blackberry with EVDO. I also love the touch screen capabilities of the Treo, which the Blackberry doesn't have.
    JetNet, LLC
    Fast, Reliable, Affordable
    Shared Reseller Dedicated
    http://www.jetnethost.com

I have a Blackberry 7250 with the new 1x-EVDO system, just picked it up in July for $49 on a 3 year contract.

I use my 8700 Blackberry for everything.
    I always did like the clouds

Quote Originally Posted by /bin/false
    The Treo has a lot of great features but the more you use, the quicker the battery goes south, plus, the Blackberry is really the only true "Push" based e-mail system out there, hence why Palm recently announced a partnership to use the "Push" technology from RIM.

Cheers

/bin/false

I have a Treo700W and it sure does support true "Push" as do many other WM based products. Although heavy use of GPS (CoPilot) and Video (Sling mobile) will chew up the battery.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

There seems to be a ton of good reviews about the Treo, I think I am going to look into one of those.

Whats different between the Treo700 and Treo650? The 700 is quite a bit more expensive but the only difference that I have seen is the memory card size?
    Shared Hosting, Cloud Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting, and Dedicated Servers

I'm actually using the HP iPaq hw6915 because I wanted a Treoo 700w with GSM support so thats basically what the iPAQ is.

My two top admins however use the Treo 650 and they are reasonably happy with it.
    init.me - Build, Share & Embed

JodoHost.com - Windows VPS Hosting, ASP.NET and SQL Server Hosting
    8th year in Business, 200+ Servers. Microsoft Gold Certified Partner

Quote Originally Posted by XeHSean
    There seems to be a ton of good reviews about the Treo, I think I am going to look into one of those.

Whats different between the Treo700 and Treo650? The 700 is quite a bit more expensive but the only difference that I have seen is the memory card size?
    I may be wrong but I don't think the 650 supports the high speed internet. It also has a few changes to the layout to the keyboard and some software upgrades.

I use the 700p (p = palm w = windows moble) and I love it.

The only thing I would add to the treo is gps.
    Matt Armour
    OpenReaction

treo 650 doesnt support edge.
    700 does
    init.me - Build, Share & Embed

JodoHost.com - Windows VPS Hosting, ASP.NET and SQL Server Hosting
    8th year in Business, 200+ Servers. Microsoft Gold Certified Partner

I use a blackberry 7520 for alerts and answering tickets when needed and making calls of course. I also use it for IM, and SSH when something serious is going on and needs work when I'm away. Battery life sucks on this model, but from what I've heard the 8700c has better battery life and I should probably get the better battery for this model.

An admin I know got a Treo 650 and didn't like it much. The battery life lasted barely a day on his usage (which is heavy from what I know). He went back to his BB 8700 after a few days because the Treo was defective (reboots for no reason).

When I'm away and have my laptop I have a cingular aircard which does okay most of the time.

I had a 650 that would reboot for no reason. Turns out aim was the issue...

Figures aol can screw just about anything up.
    Matt Armour
    OpenReaction

pfff so many mixed reviews

Anyone know a good site that compares black berrys vs. treos? Or any personal recommendations?

Blackberry's are like Apple - sleek, nice products that invented/lead in the category, but arrogant company with proprietary lock-in.

To do Blackberry right, you need BES (Blackberry Enterprise Mail server) gateway and that costs $$$ in software and hardware.

A rapidly emerging alternative are the PDA/smartphones based on Windows Mobile.

The hottest phones in this category are the HTC models (PPC-6700 from Sprint and eqivalent from Verizon), the Treo (700w and 700wx), and the mid-range SmartPhones (Motorola Q and others).

Any of these phones that are based on Windows SmartPhone or Windows Mobile can do full sync with calendar, task, email and direct push of new email assuming your carrier/email server support it there is no extra monthly cost.

Blackberry's usually have a $10 to $30/month extra cost for BES software.

One frustration is that new phones are typically launched giving a carrier an exclusive for some period of time so the phone you want may not be available from your current carrier for a while.

e.g. Motorola Q is exclusive and so was the 700w but now they are broading the carriers that offer them.

You definitely want a phone that is 3G speeds for data so I would avoid the Treo 650 and only go with the newer models if you choose a Treo.
    Voicegateway.com Web Services - High-performance Hosting & Fully Managed Servers
    Specializing in Virtual Machine Hosting with Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2, Windows SharePoint Services, Microsoft SQL Server 2005, ASP.NET 2.0 hosting and Newsletter/Mailing list services

When I was with Sprint I had the Treo650 and was very happy with it. It only lacked high speed.

When I switched over to Verizon I went with the Verizon 6700 and I'm quite happy with it. A couple drawbacks: Windows Mobile freezes up occassionally and one-hand typing is pretty much out of the question.

I do prefer the larger keyboard and screen though, due to the slide out design.
    Doyle Lewis
    BuyHTTP Internet Services - In business since 2003
    Business Hosting | nginx, CloudLinux, Varnish cache, and CDP with every business account
    Shared, Reseller, Semi Dedicated, VPS, Cloud, Dedicated - We can grow with you

Quote Originally Posted by spiv
    Blackberry's are like Apple - sleek, nice products that invented/lead in the category, but arrogant company with proprietary lock-in.

To do Blackberry right, you need BES (Blackberry Enterprise Mail server) gateway and that costs $$$ in software and hardware.

Blackberry's usually have a $10 to $30/month extra cost for BES software.

Why would you get BES (Blackberry Enterprise Service) unless you needed it with your company's corporate network to retrieve email? For our uses as independent web hosts you just need BIS which is pretty competitive price-wise compared to others offerings.

I have a BB 8700 through cingular and it's perfect for staying connected while away. You can get email, browse the web, SSH, IM, etc. Granted it's not the most effecient way to do any of those things, but it's a very useful device anyway. Spend a little time at http://www.blackberryforums.com for more info.

I'd had basically every PDA phone on the market both CDMA and GSM...

I just got the new Blackberry Pearl from T-Mobile a few days ago though and I have to say, it's the best one yet. It's Blackberry, VERY small and thin, has a camera and more multimedia features than previous BB devices, etc.

Awesome device and one I'll prob stick with for a while.
    VOIPO - VoIP Telephone Service

The 650 supports edge just not 3G...

I have used a 650.. It was ok, but hung alot.

I now use a Moto Sliver and have a SMS sent to me for any issues, and carry around my Dell 300m, 3lbs laptop... Perfect.

We use the 7250 model blackberry's, they provide pretty much everything you could need. It is a quick learning curving, you don't have to really teach anyone how to use it. I would recommend it.
    Web Host Magazine & Buyers Guide
    Web Host Magazine & Buyer's Guide
    Fair & Objective Reviews, Ratings & Information
    since 1997

I am a big advocate of microsoft products, however I wouldn't get a smart phone like those unless I really needed the power. Blackberry doesn't need the enterprise mail server to be useful. The biggest thing going for it is their mail push and it is very inexpensive for internet capability.

But if you need the power of portable pc then by all means get a windows os smartphone, but for just checking email and having a quick and easy office without a ton of extra's go for the blackberry.

Sometimes all you need is a screw driver and not a power tool in my opinion.
    Web Host Magazine & Buyers Guide
    Web Host Magazine & Buyer's Guide
    Fair & Objective Reviews, Ratings & Information
    since 1997

I use a Blackberry 8700g and a Motorola Q right now. I also use a Palm Treo 700w when I travel for the stylus.

Our 24 hour people use Blackberry 7100 models.

I have been a loyal user of the sony P900 phones for a while, then I saw the Nokia E61.

I bought one and fell in love.

BalkBerry connect and 4 other push email software services are built in, so I get true push email, has edge, 3G, GPRS and Wifi connections built in.
    It will even search out hot spots for me the auto transfer to them if I am near one that is open. Or I can choose to use the 3G or fall back to GPRS while traveling and it will instanly switch connections. Plus true multi tasking I can have IM chat open and SSH and Web broswer then switch between windows as I want. So I can talk to my techs via IM while in WHM and SSH to a server all at the same time to see what they are seeing etc.. That is power on a PDA phone.

For a PDA/Phone to admin servers answer support tickets SSH etc... It is the ultimate.

I have not found a thing I cannot do on it that I can do on my laptop yet including cutting and pasting text which was something that has always driven me crazy when using a PDA.

I'm quite happy with my unlocked Treo 650 running on T-Mobile. It works quite well for my usage, and, I just have versamail check for messages every 10 minutes or so. It's not push, but, it still gets the job done. There are the occasional hang here and there, but, I guess you get used to it.
    Nick Devito
    Atarack Communications, Inc - Xen-based VPS Services

Techark, what's the battery life like on that beast? Is it the E62 better then the E61? I don't like Nokia, but yet I want to go with Cingular instead of being mixed and it's either the 8700c or something else.

Battery life is fantastic on it.

I get about 16 hours out of it on a busy day lots of emails and connections on slow days I can go two or three without a recharge.

I rarely do that though as normally when I go to bed I plug the phone in for a charge.

The E62 is actually a downgrade to me it is missing the 3G and Wifi connections.

7290 for emergency support/outage notification with SSH client installed. =)
    Alex Maleki -/- 1.866.596.8401
    iTeraWeb Solutions -\- Quality cPanel, Unlimited Reseller, and A-Z VoIP Termination.
    http://www.iteraweb.com | 24x7x365 Phone/Chat Support

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousServers
    The 650 supports edge just not 3G...

I have used a 650.. It was ok, but hung alot.

I now use a Moto Sliver and have a SMS sent to me for any issues, and carry around my Dell 300m, 3lbs laptop... Perfect.
    I also have the Sliver...I hate it really...I get such poor signal on it compared to the treo 700p and the battery life could be longer. The signal may be issues with cingular but many of the people I have talked to have had issues with it. If it was not for the poor signal it would be a pretty slick phone but it does not really meet my needs anymore....still use it thought...
    Matt Armour
    OpenReaction

TMO MDA running WHM & cPanel

I uploaded a couple images from my TMobile MDA running Windows Mobile 2003. It is not as automatic as the blackberry for email, but it is good enough for my purposes. I didn't really liek the "plasticky" feeling of the bberry. The MDA had TMO's EDGE data connection (a bit slower than EVDO) but it also has WiFi 802.11. It rocks when there is a WiFi connection around.

The MDA has bailed me out a few times on the road for password resets in WHM and cPanel email resets. PLUS..

Ya gotta check out Virtual Earth and Goggle Local. Nothing like zooming in on a satellite map and asking "Where's Radio Shack?" and having the phone pop in all the locations.

(can we use IMG tag here??)
    Click here to see the Flickr Photos of MDA

Hi,

Any PDAs running Windows Mobile 5 should be fine for ya. Using outlook to connect to pop3/smtp and IE Mobile to connect to your ticketing system such as Kayako's PDA System is very simple and easy to use. Of course you can set outlook to auto check emails every minute and thus you can be alerted instantly of downtime and so on from your monitoring system. I recommend the Treo 700w or the Cingular 8125, though there are downsides to Windows Mobile but for the most part, it's very easy to use and navigate for any windows users.

Cheers
    CirtexHosting Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
    LINUX based cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Fantastico
    HostV VPS Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    We transfer your sites over quickly! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

Just a note from a trreo 600->650 user...

STAY AWAY.

On my fourth 650 right now, went thru 3 600's... they are wimpy pieces of crap. While I love the functionality, the phone is poorly designed. I dropped the 650 from my pocket when I was sitting in a lounge chair onto carpet (sub 2' drop) and the phone was broken so badly they couldn't repair it. They reboot continuously, usually in the middle of an ssh session, writing a long email, rebooting a server via web based apc unit, or something similarily important.

I would say that everytime I am dealing with a work related issue on the phone there is an honest to goodness 75% chance the unit will freeze or reboot itself.

I am currently tossed up between a sony ericsson m600i or the new blackberry pearl. There is a cool looking asus phone out but I am a bit leary of asus.

I use a Blackbery 8700 for everything as well..

I used to use an I730 which was nice, I thought I would lose functionality when I moved over to the blackberry but I hav been able to find everything that I have needed.

I've got an 8700g running with our BES (Blackberry Enterprise Server) in the office. It's pretty good as it completely integrates with MS Exchange, and of course you have the advantage of instant e-mail rather than having to download it, etc. This is the most expensive of the two solutions, if you just need POP3 e-mail you can use the cheaper BIS, but you lose some of the features.

Obviously the whole solution is pretty expensive, but when it's the only decent product out there I don't blame them for wanting to make money out of it.

Dan

More info on my solution

Here is what I use on my 8700c:
    Using BES for Exchange email on primary domain plus address book / cal / etc.
    Using BIS for some random accounts
    Using it as a modem for my laptop (edge speeds)
    SSH
    Web Browser
    IRC
    Google Maps
    Weather
    Spot (gps)
    and Texas Hold'em King!

Switching to the blackberry was the best move I could have made.

I had an i730 for a long time, tried the treo 700w, ppc-6700, MotoQ. They all had issues, They were a pocket pc first and then a phone. I found features missing, frequent crashes, and I spent alot of time administering my phone.

When I moved to the blackberry it was just about as painless as can be, I rolled out phones company wide within about 3 days. Gave very little instruction and have had very few issues. RIM has been doing this for a long time, I think everyone else will catch up but right now blackberries are a smarter way to go.

DONT EVEN GET ME STARTED ON GOODLINK!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RazorBlue - Dan
    I've got an 8700g running with our BES (Blackberry Enterprise Server) in the office. It's pretty good as it completely integrates with MS Exchange, and of course you have the advantage of instant e-mail rather than having to download it, etc. This is the most expensive of the two solutions, if you just need POP3 e-mail you can use the cheaper BIS, but you lose some of the features.

Obviously the whole solution is pretty expensive, but when it's the only decent product out there I don't blame them for wanting to make money out of it.

Dan
    Yep definitely more expensive as well, while my PDA is exchange compatible, pop3 / smtp does a great job for me and downloads for the emails are very much instant even in areas with bad signals

Cheers
    CirtexHosting Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
    LINUX based cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Fantastico
    HostV VPS Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    We transfer your sites over quickly! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

Blackberry 8700 with SSH/IM and Remote Desktop client from Handagocom on it, does everything. All email alerts/emergency tickets come to the device. Im not sure if the network has to support some features, im with Rogers, so far so good. The 7250 you can pickup with out a contract refurbised for around $150 mark here in Canada, i've seen some on ebay as well, chuck in the simcard get a voice or data plan and off you go ... black berry heaven.

I've got an 8707G on Vodafone which is great. Just using it with SMTP mail at the minute but Exchange/BES is forthcoming.

I've used Blackberry since the 6xxx series and am an avid fan. I've had other PDAs and a Sony P910i and they don't even come close for usability.

What's your highest brickbreaker score?
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.namecheap.com - hosting from a registrar DONE RIGHT!