BurstNET - Stay away

Roughly 2-3 weeks ago, we experienced a major problem with our old provider (not Burst) going offline leaving us in a bad situation. I came to this forum and posted up an SOS and one of my first replies was from Benji at BurstNET. I was getting emails back within minutes, his personal cellphone number was given out to accomodate me, etc. After we signed up, all of this disappeared.

So we bought 2 servers and were promised they'd both be setup fast... and they were. However, weeks later we experience daily network problems, have gone through 1-2 hardware problems and now I've got tickets opened that haven't even been viewed by their staff.

Basically, I'm going to be cancelling with them this afternoon. The simple fact a company charges a client $xxx's a month for service like this is both pathetic and irresponsible.

If you have any questions about my situation, please let me know. I generally stay clear of posting things like this but I'm really unhappy and the situation we're in now is worse then before.

Thanks BurstNET

Did you call them?

Keep in mind your open tickets are in our Networking Dept, and that dept is only available MON-FRI 9AM-5PM EST.

Please be patient, and you will receive a response to them during business hours tomorrow.

PS - Your issues are probably related to the DDOS we had the other day, which affected a portion of ouir client base. That was due to issues with a defective Top Layer DDOS protection unit, which a new one has been overnighted to us, and is being replaced on Monday in our network.

Mon-fri?

Mekhu,

Please respond to the support ticket---as we are waiting on your response to have a network engineer contact you today to assist you, even though they are out of the office today.

<< Mekhu >>

Only our technical support dept is availble 24/7/365.
    Our networking, billing, sales, customer service depts are only available 9-5pm est mon-fri.

That does not mean that someone cannot be available for important matters/emergencies, it just means they are out of the office.

Such scheduling is necessary when you are running a budget hosting company---if you want to remain viable and healthy to remain in business for as long as we have---15+ years.

I've colocated with BurstNET for close to 2 years, and even though I'm just a small hosting company, BurstNET has always been there for me.

Example: I have a Dell 1850 1u rack server that I bought new and sent directly to BurstNET. Benji stayed late the afternoon FedEx dropped it off and loaded CentOS, WHM, Cpanel, and configured my IP's. I was shocked that my server would be setup so fast.

Later, I bought a Dell Powervault SCSI External hard drive 3u rack mount that will hold 14 SCSI drives. I also had to buy a near $400.00 Perc4 SCSI card to go in my Dell 1850. Benji and crew took my server out of the rack, installed the Perc4, put the server and Powervault into the rack and configured the SCSI BIOS to make it all work.

Except for telephone and email, I've never meet any of these people. I'm paralysed from the lower neck down and couldn't work on my own server if I wanted to. I live over 900 miles from the datacenter, never been there, dought I ever will.

well I can verify the network issues.

Over the course of the last 2 years which we've kept a secondary DNS machine with burst we see network issues *ATLEAST* once a week.

At times I've even though of pulling the DNS server because of the issues. I would never put anything of any real importance there but a secondary DNS server isn't a big deal.

<< Over the course of the last 2 years which we've kept a secondary DNS machine with burst we see network issues *ATLEAST* once a week. >>

Have we had network issues? Sure...what budget hosting company hasn't?
    However, that statement is beyond exaggeration, and completely untrue---to the point of trolling--client or no client.

lol, Mon - Fri! What is that? Wish I had been told that prior to signing up

Either way, I'll be closing out the account soon. I've been with roughly 6-7 different providers over the past 3-4 years and your response time ranks among the worst I've ever seen.

As for me calling them, nope. I did not. If you have a ticket system, I should be able to use that

No doubt, those are some bankers hours indeed, especially for your networking department. Shouldn't you always have someone available for networking issues if you're a datacenter? Just my 2 cents...
    Upload Guardian 2 - Malicious Upload Scanner - Windows and Linux!
    Instantly scan uploaded files
    Get notified when released

Once again, your tickets were assigned/directed to a dept that is not currently open.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with our support response times, in fact we are known for our exceptional/knowledgeable level of support provided.

If your issue was that important, you could have called or sent an instant message, and received a response from a live person.

I'm sorry you will be cancelling service, however, I cannot agree with your reasoning/opinion behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by BurstNET
    Once again, your tickets were assigned/directed to a dept that is not currently open.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with our support response times, in fact we are known for our exceptional/knowledgeable level of support provided.

If your issue was that important, you could have called or sent an instant message, and received a response from a live person.

I'm sorry you will be cancelling service, however, I cannot agree with your reasoning/opinion behind it.
    Fair enough. Next time I'll post on WHT

<< No doubt, those are some bankers hours indeed, especially for your networking department. Shouldn't you always have someone available for networking issues if you're a datacenter? Just my 2 cents... >>

As stated above: "That does not mean that someone cannot be available for important matters/emergencies, it just means they are out of the office."

Simply put, at the low/budget prices we charge, we have to cut costs as necessary, and if that means a engineer has to be on call on the weekend, rather than being paid to sit doing nothing, then that is what we find we need to do.

You would be very surprised to find out just how many large companies do not have network engineers on-site during weekends, or even on-site ever for some companies. I know some competitors of ours that appear to be quite large, but only have 3-4 employees total. We have approximately 25 on-site employees. How we decide to schedule those for best coverage is based on 15 years of experience, and our decision to make.

You cannot expect to pay ridiculously low prices for servers, and expect to get a live network engineer available to you 24/7/365---and have the provider still profitable/viable and remain in business for the long term. The handful of companies that do , have large amounts of capital behind them to burn (hence, not profitable yet, and have not been built from the ground up like our firm.

<< Fair enough. Next time I'll post on WHT >>

Not a source of support from us, but you happend to get my attention while I was on here today. It would have had the same effect had you called, or opened a ticket with a dept that was opened--and explained your situation. Heck, if that important, you can call that cell phone number and explain the situation----we do not mind.

Anyways, good luck to you if you decide to leave---if not, respond to that ticket, and we'll return your call today to get the issue remedied.

You cannot expect to pay ridiculously low prices for servers, and expect to get a live network engineer available to you 24/7/365---and have the provider still profitable/viable and remain in business for the long term. The handful of companies that do , have large amounts of capital behind them to burn (hence, not profitable yet, and have not been built from the ground up like our firm.
    I problem has nothing to do with the fact a live network eng. wasn't available for me right away. My problem is when a ticket goes unanswered for over 24 hours.

Also, I'm in your support backend and am trying to find where it says Networking department is only available M-F? Can you direct me to this? Judging by your responses to this thread this is something I should of obviously known.

at the low/budget prices we charge
    You cannot expect to pay ridiculously low prices for servers
    I hate to barge in here, but your prices are hardly "budget". When I used to resell servers for different datacenters, BurstNET was on my list. But, nobody was interested in your servers because they cost too much. $150/month for a P4 2.4 (something you don't see many providers offer anymore it's so outdated) is not "budget".

I'm sure that you could invest more into having a network engineer on site 24/7. All the other datacenters I worked with have lower prices than you and still have a network engineer on site at all times.
    Last edited by Nick H; 09-24-2006 at 02:23 PM.
    Nick Hudson - Prevail Host LLC - http://www.prevail.host/
    Premium Quality cPanel Hosting Services - CloudLinux, LiteSpeed & SSD
    WHMControl - Secure Your Server Logins & Automate Password Changes

<< Over the course of the last 2 years which we've kept a secondary DNS machine with burst we see network issues *ATLEAST* once a week. >>

Have we had network issues? Sure...what budget hosting company hasn't?
    However, that statement is beyond exaggeration, and completely untrue---to the point of trolling--client or no client.

This by no means trolling, atleast once a week our monitors go off for high latency or p/l to the server there.

When support has been used they have been prompt (os reload, reboots) but the network has always been a sore spot.

I think anyone providing services that rely on a network should have a network engineer there 24x7. This is just my $.02 though.

Yes, BurstNET is right, many large datacenters/providers are not staffed properly either. Heck, I know some companies who haven't had anyone even step in to their datacenter for atleast a week. lol

Having worked for BurstNET before in the past I can atleast vouch that they are a real company and do run a decent operation. Their facilities aren't Equinix... but they're not the worse by a long shot.

Whether you have downtime or not with these budget providers is really just a matter of luck. Their business models are usually identical, down to the hardware suppliers and the bandwidth and equipment they use.

I think if you're looking for something "more".. then you might have to pay a little bit "more".
    - Comprehensive Server Management & End User Support
    - Now 100% U.S. Owned & Operated
    - Now offering instantly ready end-user support. 30secondsupport.com

Quote Originally Posted by WireSix
    This by no means trolling, atleast once a week our monitors go off for high latency or p/l to the server there.

When support has been used they have been prompt (os reload, reboots) but the network has always been a sore spot.
    This sounds like our situation. I always found that you don't notice slight downtime when you're dealing with basic webhosting. Unfortunately for us, our service is streaming dependant and any interuption is widely known.

Quote Originally Posted by Mekhu
    This sounds like our situation. I always found that you don't notice slight downtime when you're dealing with basic webhosting. Unfortunately for us, our service is streaming dependant and any interuption is widely known.

yeah, minor network events (usually 5-10 minutes each) have little to no impact on the operations of the dns gear there. Thats why we have our primary dns cluster elsewhere.

I can see it having a significantly greater impact on streaming services.