Host to handle 100-200 concurrent forum users?

Hello everyone!

I am looking for a new webhost as my forums are currently on a shared webhost account through BlueHost. Just for reference, our forums have the following stats: Threads: 11,746, Posts: 61,803, Members: 2,218.

We generally have 30-45 concurrent users online, however, after a game (it's a sports forum), we'll see traffic spike and we'll get hit with Bandwidth Quote Exceeded messages, thus killing the atmosphere and the boards.

I'm looking for a hosting solution that will allow for us to grow into it, and that can ultimately handed 100-200 concurrent users. Right now I'm paying $100/year, so I'd like to keep the costs at $100/mo or cheaper.

Anyone got any solid suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Svoboda
    $100/year, so I'd like to keep the costs at $100/mo?
    Hi,

Is your budget $100 month or $100 year? $100 year you probably wont be able to find any true reliable host to offer to support 100 concurrent users at same time.

$100/month is very reasonable and most hosts would help you get that done whether Shared or Managed Hosting or a VPS Host.

Cheers
    CirtexHosting Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
    LINUX based cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Fantastico
    HostV VPS Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    We transfer your sites over quickly! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

Quote Originally Posted by Hoobastank68
    Hi,

Is your budget $100 month or $100 year? $100 year you probably wont be able to find any true reliable host to offer to support 100 concurrent users at same time.

$100/month is very reasonable and most hosts would help you get that done whether Shared or Managed Hosting or a VPS Host.

Cheers
    A month. I pay $100/year with BlueHost right now.

$100/month you can get a p4 dedicated server =)
    Alex Maleki -/- 1.866.596.8401
    iTeraWeb Solutions -\- Quality cPanel, Unlimited Reseller, and A-Z VoIP Termination.
    http://www.iteraweb.com | 24x7x365 Phone/Chat Support

Quote Originally Posted by hmalekib
    $100/month you can get a p4 dedicated server =)
    Can you provide me a link?

https://order.layeredtech.com/servers.lt?categoryId=4
    They are unmanaged, make sure you have someone that knows how to install eaccelerator, someone who can secure and configure the server. Also get 100mbps pipe (it's just 10$/month more).
    Got Fused?

Just as an FYI, a VPS would work well too. Dedicated may be overkill at this point. Perhaps find a host that would help you migrate from VPS to dedicated once the need arose.
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress Joomla OpenCart Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalWebDan
    Just as an FYI, a VPS would work well too. Dedicated may be overkill at this point. Perhaps find a host that would help you migrate from VPS to dedicated once the need arose.
    Do you have any suggestions on a good VPS host?

Global Servers.com is the only one I've ever even heard about from folks I can trust (and they liked it), but I don't know from experience. I've never had the need to use a VPS solution myself. But you may wish to start with them...they're owned by United Online, the same folks who own NetZero and Classmates.com, so you don't have to worry about how long they'll be around.

EDIT: I forgot to mention this....they only offer VPS, so there's no chance to upgrade to dedicated by staying with them.
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress Joomla OpenCart Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com