domain name lapses

My domain name and website address have lapsed since the past few days since my web hosting co did not notify me about renewal. I have tried to contact them but have not been successful. I'm frustrated about it. A few questions to anyone who might be able to answer:
    1. Can I get a different web hosting company to get my domain name (the same I had previously)? In other words, can I change companies and expect to keep the same domain name?
    2. If the above is possible, can I retrieve my website or do I have to create it anew?
    3. The same for email?
    4. Any recommendations on good cheap domain name and web hosting?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

1. Yes. All you have to do is modify the nameservers, assuming your hosting company will let you do this. Keep in mind that after a domain expires it can still be renewed.
    2. Ask your host. If they can't give you a backup, and you did not back up your own data, then you will have to create it anew.
    3. Yes, assuming email is stored on the server
    4. Can't answer this one, its against the rules.
    eVerity.com
    Celebrating 9 years of customer service. Domain names, shared/semi-dedicated/dedicated hosting, SSL certificates, merchant accounts, reseller options, and referral program, since July 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by pgwodehouse
    1. Can I get a different web hosting company to get my domain name (the same I had previously)? In other words, can I change companies and expect to keep the same domain name?
    Thanks in advance for your replies.

Did you hosting co. actually REGISTER your domain name FOR you? If not maybe there is some other reason your website isn't showing up.
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

Quote Originally Posted by everity
    1. Yes. All you have to do is modify the nameservers, assuming your hosting company will let you do this. Keep in mind that after a domain expires it can still be renewed.
    I wish that answer's 100% true. But it's not without further clarification from the
    OP.

Is the domain name registered under the OP's name or under the host? Does the
    domain name bear the OP's contact details, especially the email addy on record?

If the answer to both questions is no, then the OP's going to find it harder than
    expected to be able to wrest that domain name from the host. But if the answer is
    yes, then at least s/he has a chance of possibly getting it back.

To the OP: if yes to my questions above, then contact their actual domain registrar
    partner. Explain the circumstances (especially if the host is unable or unwilling to
    help) and be ready to follow their instructions to the letter.

If you don't know how to tell who's the registrar, do a WHOIS lookup on the host's
    domain name. Usually the line "registrar" will tell you who it is as well as the host's
    fine prints. (if they hopefully mentioned it, that is...)

Hope for the best. But expect the worst, the worst being they'll tell you to seek
    legal advice.
    Last edited by Dave_Z; 09-24-2006 at 11:39 AM.

You have to renew the domain name before you can do anything with it. Chances are the host purchased the domain name for you through their domain reseller account. The good news is, you just need to contact the actual domain registrar (like eNom, Godaddy, etc.). If you tell us your domain name, we can tell you who the actual registrar is.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

If you answered "no" to either of Dave's questions, then please be more careful in the future. No host should be putting their own contact information for a domain you own and that you paid for. If the registrar happens to be eNom, please report your host to eNom.

For future reference, so that this won't happen again, I would suggest reading the link in Dave's signature. Its good information. The basic idea is that you shouldn't register your domain name through your host. (just keep in mind that a lot of hosts are safe and ethical, but a few are not, and since you can't always tell its better to be safe than sorry.)
    eVerity.com
    Celebrating 9 years of customer service. Domain names, shared/semi-dedicated/dedicated hosting, SSL certificates, merchant accounts, reseller options, and referral program, since July 2000.

1. Yes, this is possible. The question is if this domain locked with your host still, then they have to approve the transfer. I believe they still have a 60-day window to renew this domain with their registrar. Your new host will request their domain registrar to grab this for you and once your old host approves that request, the domain will be released and they can keep and manage the domain for you.
    2. As for the website, you can ask for the backup. Hopefully, your host is good enough still to provide this to an outgoing client.
    3. Yes, the emails are included in the backups but I am sure they are bouncing now as the domain expired already.
    4. For this service combination, you can try to have a look at www.enom.com and www.godaddy.com

Hope this helps.

Don't Lose Your Website Ever Again!
    Backup All Your Domains and MySQL Databases Automatically
    Grab this Website Backup Software today.

Quote Originally Posted by cpsitesaver.com
    I believe they still have a 60-day window to renew this domain with their registrar. Your new host will request their domain registrar to grab this for you and once your old host approves that request, the domain will be released and they can keep and manage the domain for you.
    Where'd you get that info?

(Dito ka pala, Manny? )

Hmmm.. I got mixed up here. I actually read this before at the ICANN website.

It seems that the 60-day hold period for transfer was for new domain registration.

To avoid further mistakes here on interpretation, please see for yourself Section 2.3 Auto-Renew Grace Period of this document to which your case probably apply:

http://www.icann.org/tlds/agreements...-16apr01.htm#3

Hope this helps.

(san pala ka pala Dave? PM me please.)
    Don't Lose Your Website Ever Again!
    Backup All Your Domains and MySQL Databases Automatically
    Grab this Website Backup Software today.