Setting up a game server?

Hey everyone,
    I am thinking about getting a game server. I think I am going to get the following server from Peer1:

LK1 Game Pro:
    # Dual 3.0Ghz Xeon™
    # 4GB RAM
    # 2x250 GB HD JBOD
    # 2TB Monthly Data Transfer
    $499/mo
    What are other good gaming server companies? Can i host multiple games on one server and what control panels are there to do this? Also, I know it is hard to tell, but how many games would I be able to run on this setup?

Thanks!,
    Chris

Hello Chris,

What is the OS of the server ? And i dont know if you really need 2x250 Hdd i would suggest maybe get a 10K 36 gig hdd or so as map loading time would be improved.

Why you seek gaming server companie? Wont you be starting your own company?

Yes you can host multiple game servers.

Regards

you will max out that unit before you will fill up both the hard drive and the ram. The price also is astronomical.

consider a dual Xeon/2gb/80gb+ IDE/100mbit port and 1000gb or more transfer

Another cost effective but a bit less powerful solution would be a opteron 170 unit

1000gb Transfer should be plenty unless you would like to run resource hogs like BF2, then you are going to want 2000gb+

You should be paying right around the low-mid $200 range for a unit like the xeon setup i recommended above. If you are just starting out I would suggest you get a p4 machine to use for a few months (if you actually plan to sell and make money off of this unit) to get use to the operations of the unit, how many games you can run, and the control panel software. Nothing worse than being unprepared when a paying client needs support. Once you are ready, ditch that machine and go for the real one.

As fas a CP software I would HIGHLY suggest ww.tcadmin.com and windows server 2003, there no better solution. Tcadmin is great when it comes to control panels and their support is beautiful. Kevin and Luis really put pride into their work and it shows.

--------------------------

how many games you can run will largely be determined by your userbase. You could have some gameservers that do not get used at all, believe it or not we have quite a few users who pay for a server then do not use it for quite sometime and still have it.

If you have alot of busy public servers then you will obviously be able to host less than if you have a server full of match servers that get used once a week for an hour at a time. You must hand judge your machine to see what it can handle, there is no real set formula for this.

-----------------------------

If you are looking for a REAL gaming company to go through I would suggest www.defconservers.com Rich is a great guy and there are not many people that know more than him about the gaming industry. He has helped me get started and provided advice on several occasions, definately an industry leader in his field.

Quote Originally Posted by AvailNetworks
    You must hand judge your machine to see what it can handle, there is no real set formula for this.
    Yup i agree it all depends on how much users would be on your server and what its running actually, for example you can run 5 or more SA game server with 50 players each and playing and maybe max of 2 bf2 servers with 30 players each on it and so on forth. Its all about caring about your cpu and ram usage, basically a server uses less resources than u playing on your pc, as no video processing is required, and it becomes of great importance that your network is not clogged cause even if you got a beasty machine if network is poor forget about making gamers happy.

Thanks for the helpe everyone!
    What are the other control panels for game servers?
    What games are most in demand?

Thanks a bunch!

there are not a whole bunch of control panels for game servers that are worth anything, I have tried a bunch and they all have left a bad taste in my mouth. I have not tried scinterface unfortunately but it actually looks promising. Personally I would never go near gamecp or innovative gaming concepts. The first one support is terrible and the second is just a sloppy control panel with a seemingly unstable company. Personally I would only consider tcadmin, they are the same price as the others and there is no b.s. with them. They are all business.

In demand games are what you target, we actually only host a handful of games on our network mostly consisting of steam based games and UT2004. There are thousands of steam based servers out there so I imagine there is always a need for it.

Start with the game you know most about administering and branch out from there. It is VERY hard to support a game you know nothing about. If you really plan to succeed in games don't put the cart before the horse and offer things you cannot support

Peer1 is a good provider but that's pretty expensive given what you're getting. What game do you wish to run?

Are you looking to resell these servers to clients? Or is this machine simply for you or your clan?
    www.tcadmin.com
    The Game Hosting Control Panel

I have a lot of experience hosting game servers, I play for a professional e-sports team (CAL-I CS 1.6, CAL-M BF2, CAL-M CSS Divisions), were very picky about our performance.

Peer1 is good, but in my opinion much better to have some more diverse providers. Just to give you an idea how many providers we have went through before finding the right home.... We have used NFO, Hi-Def, Velocity, Aim2Game (all GSP's),,,, for dedicated providers we have used Layered Tech, Server Matrix, EV1 Servers (rackshack back then), 15MinuteServers, SuperbServers, Colo4dallas, Gnax, CyberWurx and some others im missing for sure.

We have finally found ourselves a home at www.Steadfast.net, the network is absolutely amazing for gaming (pings + smooth), prices are great as well.

If you need any help feel free to shoot me a PM
    Linux junkie | steward.io

That price is absurd. I also got a similar quote from Peer1.

I would recommend buying from a reseller.
    Where are you looking for a server?

Quote Originally Posted by AlanB-
    That price is absurd. I also got a similar quote from Peer1.

I would recommend buying from a reseller.
    Where are you looking for a server?
    I am looking for a game server to resell, preferably in the bay area.

Quote Originally Posted by cmpolis
    I am looking for a game server to resell, preferably in the bay area.
    You may want to get in touch with www.ethr.net - Level 3, AT&T, Savvis (great mix).
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business