Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric HRF
    At least get another T-1, from a different provider. Speakeasy has a special right now for $389.99 a month, full T-1.

But if I were in your shoes, I'd scrape everything on ebay, buy a few duo core / SATA servers, colocate and be done with it.
    Or even bonded T1 from speakeasy which ranges from about $600/mo~. You have to contact them to get the details. Bonded T1 is basically two 1.5MBPS circuits to seamlessly operate as a single connection.
    » VPSFuze.com - Performance should be noticeable - VPS Hosting at its best.
    » HostingFuze.com - Affordable & Reliable Shared & Master Reseller hosting services

Quote Originally Posted by Dranoel
    Thanks for everyone chiming in on our configuration.

We do need to make some changes (Bandwidth is critical).

We are trying to set up the servers at our location to give us the maximum uptime & stability. Hence, High-Availability Clusters & Heartbeat.

I know our hardware is not up to everyone's liking, but we are making the best with what we have. We do have 2 fully functioning ALR 9200's for reserve as parts- if need be. That gives us 6 Power supplies, 8 Gigs Memory, 2 motherboards.

Please feel free post further comments, ideas, and suggestions. It is helping me make adjustments to our project.
    You're missing the most important thing.

it wouldn't matter if you had one celeron with 256 mb of ram, or 10 Dual opterons with 16gb ram.

your t-1 makes everything else pointless. if ONE person downloads a file that's of any size, it will cripple your bandwidth.

All of this talk about l33t hardware, and clustering, and this and that is pointless. You don't even have enough bandwidth to host a single website. That is unless it gets no traffic and has no downloads.

Quote Originally Posted by e-places
    You're missing the most important thing.

it wouldn't matter if you had one celeron with 256 mb of ram, or 10 Dual opterons with 16gb ram.

your t-1 makes everything else pointless. if ONE person downloads a file that's of any size, it will cripple your bandwidth.

All of this talk about l33t hardware, and clustering, and this and that is pointless. You don't even have enough bandwidth to host a single website. That is unless it gets no traffic and has no downloads.
    I got that. As I said in my repy:
    We do need to make some changes (Bandwidth is critical).

We will upgrade to a bigger circuit. Sorry if I was not clearer on that. I will be making a phone call to my Rep Monday morning.

This was a valid point that I overlooked, and yet the WHT community stepped up and pointed to the error in our design.

Like I said in my opening post; this is our 1st time to undertake such a project.

I'm still going to try and SCREAM COLOCATE FOR NOW!!!

I have a good friend, that is a VOIP provider, ISP, and Web Host. For three years he had two T-1's load balanced running into his basement. He just saw the light, bought some cutting edge rack servers, switch's, and rented 1/2 a rack at a local Datacenter and up'ed his bandwidth to 10 Mbps.

My Daddy always said "If your going to do something, DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME.

Now a slap in the face...Your very first post had "Ghetto Setup" written all over it. My Daddy would not approve.

Just exactly what is your datacenter? Your basement? Strip mall suite? And old 7-11? Like others have pointed out you can't compete with a PROPERLY CONSTRUCTED datacenter.

A good datacenter will have all of the following that YOU DON'T HAVE!

1. Redundant Power, with UPS and diesel generator backup.
    2. Redundant AC to keep all the equipment around 70-75 degrees.
    3. Big internet pipes from MULTIPLE providers, with BGP4 redundancy.
    4. HVAC fire suppresion systems.
    5. Plenty of spare EVERYTHING to keep the datacenter "alive"

I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings, I don't mean to be an a#%, but your just not doing this "The RIGHT WAY"

And for the record, I'm a little fish in this big pond. I own two servers, my hosting box, a Dual Xeon HT 2.8 Ghz with 2 gigs of RAM, RAID SCSI drives totalling 450 gigs of drive space, colocated in a Tier 1 datacenter.

My second server is a P4 3.2 Ghz with four 320 gig SATA drives, RAID 5, colocated across the country JUST FOR BACKUPS.

Both boxes run linux, and I sleep good at night, letting the datacenters worry about all that datacenter stuff. I'll shut up before this becomes a book.

Eric

I have considered this same task many times. What has talked me out of it was the price of bandwidth pipes necessary to run a reliable data center. Buildings, fire suppression, generators - that is easy where I am. Everything here in Florida that is built properly can withstand category 4-5 hurricanes and still stay alive. Bandwidth - that was the killer.

Matt
    Matthew Rosenblatt, and I do lots of things.
    Used to be a full time server administrator, now I help build cruise ships and inspect homes.
    My company, Ferrell Solutions, specializes in home inspections and property management.
    RecallScan is a service for monitoring appliances and vehicles in your home for recalls.

Quote Originally Posted by Dranoel
    We will upgrade to a bigger circuit. Sorry if I was not clearer on that. I will be making a phone call to my Rep Monday morning.
    I would still tend to agree with everyone here who is saying that co-location would be a much better option. The cost for anything larger than a T1 (such as a DS3) will be significantly more expensive than a T1. For example, if your T1 is costing you $500/month, a DS3 might cost you $5000/month. If you're not in a major city, you can double that. Even once you have a DS3, while it may give you enough bandwidth to host a few thousand websites, your network would become crippled under even the smallest of DoS attacks. You would be much better off in a commercial datacenter environment, where each of your servers can have a 100Mbps or 1Gbps network ports with a provider that has multiple GigE and/or 10GigE connections coming in to their network.

T1 (1.5Mbps) and DS3 (45Mbps) connections just don't cut it when the DC environments are talking in terms of 1000Mbps and 10000Mbps links.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

Quote Originally Posted by bqinternet
    I would still tend to agree with everyone here who is saying that co-location would be a much better option. The cost for anything larger than a T1 (such as a DS3) will be significantly more expensive than a T1. For example, if your T1 is costing you $500/month, a DS3 might cost you $5000/month. If you're not in a major city, you can double that. Even once you have a DS3, while it may give you enough bandwidth to host a few thousand websites, your network would become crippled under even the smallest of DoS attacks. You would be much better off in a commercial datacenter environment, where each of your servers can have a 100Mbps or 1Gbps network ports with a provider that has multiple GigE and/or 10GigE connections coming in to their network.

T1 (1.5Mbps) and DS3 (45Mbps) connections just don't cut it when the DC environments are talking in terms of 1000Mbps and 10000Mbps links.

I live in a very rural area of Georgia, A FULL DS3 + Router is $8k/month. I've looked at getting a DS3 to my house just for the heck of it. I can get a bonded T1 pair for $1.2k including loops.

not exactly very cost effective

T1? Actually sorry to say this but we are in the age of Gigabit connections now. I would just find a data center around where you are located and you will find it much cheaper and hassle free. Cogent sells 100Mbps connection for $1000, I wonder how much you pay for your T1.

I think you are going the wrong route here....just my opinion though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12