Thread: How to build

How to build

I am thinking about going with Hostgator. Is their building software any good? Should I use NVu instead?

2. A more important question: will I be able to put a blog on my domain with limited web design knowledge? I am clueless how to use the control panel to upload files etc. Are the waters too deep for me at this point?

Hostgator uses cpanel, that means that you will have a link to "Fantastico" in your control panel. You can install a blog on your account by doing about 3 clicks so ...it's not deep (I recommend using wordpress - always update the software you install, just read the readme )
    You can use NVU, also visit oswd.org for some free templates.
    IF there's anything you might need to know feel free to ask.
    Got Fused?

wow! thanks for your timely and informative reply!

Almost all hosts have control panel software, and script installs. Don't limit yourself by thinking they won't. You will probably find most do.

Seems I've heard good support reps from people around here (regarding hostgator), and they certainly aren't a fly by night company. So you don't run a huge risk of getting dumped.

I do not know too much about HostGator's site building software (I was there two years and didn't realize they even had it!), but most of the time, the Website building software that Web hosts offer is not much. You probably are better off going with something else for creating your site.

As for your blog question, I can see that has already been answered.
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress Joomla OpenCart Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

I am going to work with nvu. Is there a forum anywhere specifically dedicated to nvu?

http://forum.nvudev.org/

Interesting thing, too....I just noticed that NVU is organized by Linspire....random, but interesting I thought.

Well, I use all three - NVU, Hostgator and Wordpress.. I think all three are best in their categories
    Wholesale Domain Prices for Retail Customers - Rushtoweb.com

Thats good to hear. I will be using all three as well. I did hear that NVu no longer enjoys upgrades and patches bc the designer is moving on to other projects. Is this true?

I can assure you that you don't need to know any html to install WordPress on an account at a host like HostGator, using the Fantastico feature.

You can also very easily install ready-made themes, just check the Blogroll once you've installed WP.

Web Hosting Reviews based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

Quote Originally Posted by kaj7979
    Thats good to hear. I will be using all three as well. I did hear that NVu no longer enjoys upgrades and patches bc the designer is moving on to other projects. Is this true?
    Was this a recent development? As of June, I am pretty sure it was still being maintained (according to a friend of mine who knew the developer[s]).

I read about this in a magazine (I think). The guys name is Dave or something, and he is backing away from NVU to focus his energies on Mozilla Composer 2.0.

Hmmm, I'll see if I can find out anything concrete on this....

Quote Originally Posted by Siropel
    Hostgator uses cpanel, that means that you will have a link to "Fantastico" in your control panel. You can install a blog on your account by doing about 3 clicks so ...it's not deep (I recommend using wordpress - always update the software you install, just read the readme )
    You can use NVU, also visit oswd.org for some free templates.
    IF there's anything you might need to know feel free to ask.
    This is completely true. At the risk of giving credit to a competitor - Hostgator has some very good marketing that has done great to bring things like this up front.
    Corey Northcutt | Northcutt
    Competitive inbound marketing with a hosting industry competency.
    Social | Content | Optimization | Outreach