How much space is really needed?

I need a fair assesment regarding how much space I will actually need from a host. I am starting a personal webpage which will have many pics, a few videos, many pdfs and many pages. Is 5-10gbs enough? Or do I need to go bigger?
    Also, could someone recommend their favorite host?

5-10 gb probably more than enough. unless your videos are very big

thanks the info

Hi,

If your hosting personal sites to store photos and such, 5-10gb is very adequate and probably more than enough. But most users tend to buy bigger packages as they want to ensure they don't run out of storage.

Most hosts allow you to downgrade/upgrade any time you wish so you should be fine.

Good luck
    CirtexHosting Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
    LINUX based cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Fantastico
    HostV VPS Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    We transfer your sites over quickly! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

kaj7979, don't forget that you can start off with a smaller plan, and always upgrade to a larger plan later on if the 10GB does not turn out to be enough.
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress Joomla OpenCart Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

Quote Originally Posted by kaj7979
    I need a fair assesment regarding how much space I will actually need from a host. I am starting a personal webpage which will have many pics, a few videos, many pdfs and many pages. Is 5-10gbs enough? Or do I need to go bigger?
    Also, could someone recommend their favorite host?
    Best way to tell...

Take all files you are going to be uploading and put them in one dir. on your computer. Then see how much space they use. You'll need to do this anyway as one should always have a duplicate of their Hosting account on their own computer.
    PotentProducts.com - for all your Hosting needs
    Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    ServerAdmin Services also available

Try to start out in a small hosting package and then as you need more space you can always upgrade.

Contrary to the crazy offerings you see out there - websites take up very little space. Unless you've got 10+ hours of video, I think 5 gigs should probably be more than enough.
    Corey Northcutt | Northcutt
    Competitive inbound marketing with a hosting industry competency.
    Social | Content | Optimization | Outreach

Darn, there was a thread posted here about a month ago about how much space people really NEED versus what they tend to look for. They were actually posting what they had ordered and actual stats to what they had used.
    Of course now I cannot find that thread. eeeerrrrrrrrrrrr.

seems like the average within that thread was about 100mb space.
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

Quote Originally Posted by Martie
    Darn, there was a thread posted here about a month ago about how much space people really NEED versus what they tend to look for. They were actually posting what they had ordered and actual stats to what they had used.
    Of course now I cannot find that thread. eeeerrrrrrrrrrrr.

seems like the average within that thread was about 100mb space.
    Sounds about right.

Post that URL if you find it.
    Corey Northcutt | Northcutt
    Competitive inbound marketing with a hosting industry competency.
    Social | Content | Optimization | Outreach

Quote Originally Posted by qwidjib0
    Sounds about right.

Post that URL if you find it.
    I even think I bookmarked it and can't find it! I will look abit more for it later tonight though.
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

I think 5 G is a minimum to start a project like this.
    it s not a good idea to think about upgrading since the first month
    ArzNet.com
    Providing Hosting & Domain Reseller since 2001
    Clientexec and Directi Domain Reseller with every Reseller Plan - 30 Day Trial Now Available!

Quote Originally Posted by Martie
    I even think I bookmarked it and can't find it! I will look abit more for it later tonight though.
    I am fairly sure it was in the Web Hosting Lounge section.
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress Joomla OpenCart Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

thanks for the info guys. I will start with 5 then, and upgrade to 10 ig I need it.

Make sure you read the TOS about videos. Around 5GB and upgrade later.

Edited: Ouch, didn't see your post after 5 mins posted.

I think 5 G is a minimum to start a project like this.
    it s not a good idea to think about upgrading since the first month
    That is ridiculous. Why would anyone start out with 5 G of space? I mean, honestly. I'll be surprised if you even used 1 G!

Overselling hosts nowadays *judgemental shake of head*

The issue is will YOU upload the pics and vids or the users? If the latter, you may need more space or some way to limit the upload size.
    Computer: A machine that can make the wrong decision faster that you!

I have several videos and audio lectures I will be uploading. I will be the one to control the upload, but it is not a rediculous question. Its relative to how much media I will be uploading. I was just curious if others were content with only 5-10gbs.

You don't need to buy a hosting plan with all that space. One small "starter" or "basic" type hosting account will most likely work for you (100-250 MB). The secret is to use some of the many image and file uploading sites that are out there and just post thumbnails and links on your website's pages.

could anyone recommend a good image converter which could create thumbnails on the website without having to write html.
    The backup plan is simply to resize the images, so I dont have these 1.5-2mg images on the website. What is the best option for that as well?

Photoshop will create thumbnails for you, so will Irfanview if you don't have photoshop and are looking for freeware.

When you are displaying your images on the web, always remember it's pointless saving them at more than 72 DPI, as most monitors won't resolve much higher than that anyway. So even images at almost full screen will only need to be a few hundred KB at most
    Graham Craig

"IT'S NOT HOW GOOD YOU ARE, IT'S HOW BAD YOU WANT IT."

If you upload the files, then I guess a shared plan would work. The issue is CPU usage when many prople download large files.

How will you control who can download the video files? If it is anyone, then you may be out of bandwidth fast!

On thumbnails, you can create a smaller version of the picture of show the real picture in a thumbnail format. The issue with the latter is you are sending the full pic. with the cost of bandwidth.

Also, consider if you need to create one thumbnail per full pic. or an entire sheet for a directory?

Finally, there is php code to create thumbnails. Good a Google search on "php thumbnail".
    Computer: A machine that can make the wrong decision faster that you!

Gallery software like Coppermine and Gallery offer the option to only upload thumbnails and do much of the work of converting and enforcing file size limits. Coppermine claims to handle video and audio although I don't personally have experience using those formats. Gallery, IMO, has a nicer feel and more modern looking templates but I'm not as familiar with its features.
    Forayweb - Online Solutions for Your Business
    Expert Hosting and Pay-As-You-Go Web Services

I am curious which of the fantastico image programs is the best. Any thoughts?

I set up a fairly large Coppermine site this past summer. I went with Coppermine over the other open source galleries because, at the time, it was more stable and had a richer set of features, which this project needed.

That said...I was never happy with the aesthetic feel of the program. I recently revisited Gallery. It seems to be stable now and the default gallery templates are, to me, much nicer than Coppermine's.

I guess the names reflect the two packages strengths: I would choose Coppermine for image management that required more intense database operations; while I'd go with Gallery for projects where visual presentation was paramount.

For what it's worth, I came across a utility/add-on for exporting Gallery to Coppermine. So one might publish their work on Gallery but then later archive the images into a private Coppermine database.

good info. What about the third option, 4 images? Is it worth considering?

i would go for 10gb - 20gb to be on the safe side (obviously depending on how big your files are, also if your files are large you will need to have a package with decent bandwidth, as the bigger the file is that gets uploaded the more bandwidth you will use

Quote Originally Posted by kaj7979
    good info. What about the third option, 4 images? Is it worth considering?
    Haven't tried it. You could go to their web site and try out any online demos they have. Also, look at sites that are using 4 images (or either of the others). That will give you a sense of what people are able to do with the programs. Most programs like this have links to actual deployments on their web sites.