Advertising Forums...

I noticed how *easy* it is to advertise here. When I first joined HostingDiscussion, I had to make nearly 50 posts before I could advertise there. That, and they only allow 1 ad per 14 days. Now, I think WHT should do something more like this -- you have to earn the right to post in the forums.

10 posts is not nearly enough to justify being able to advertise. I think if you made people participate more in the conversations here and get 40-50 posts before being able to advertise, then maybe they wouldn't get their 10 posts, advertise, and leave.

Also, 1 ad per 14 days reduces clutter (at least for shared/dedicated ads). I find myself having to post the same ad every 7 days because it gets buried 4 pages deep by the next day.

Just some thoughts
    Big things coming soon

50 posts I don't mind but the 14 day thing only in the more popular forums, rather than the Related Offers and Requests as I don't find them to get bogged down quickly.
    Web Handyman - Website and Internet Marketing Service

Hmmm, I seem to remember discussion on this before.

/me robs the memory bank

Quote Originally Posted by anon-e-mouse
    Hmmm, I seem to remember discussion on this before.

/me robs the memory bank
    Well, I don't want you to hurt yourself

But, I think it would be a good idea. I'd even go along with having to make 50 posts to advertise, and then 10 posts in between each ad .
    Big things coming soon

Hi,

I think 50 posts is too much. If a person buys a sticky ad and fixes his campaign without having an account with WHT, then he has to post 50 posts in the forum without any purpose but only with the aim to become eligible for posting in Advertising forum. It would be a hectic task for a a person who is interested to advertise in forums.

From,
    Mark

I guess current fashion of advertising posts is very fine, and we do not get much of spam there, sincere people sincere ads. then why bother what others forums trends are.

Quote Originally Posted by D'Godown
    I guess current fashion of advertising posts is very fine, and we do not get much of spam there, sincere people sincere ads. then why bother what others forums trends are.
    You'd be surprised
    Alasdair
    Long time ex-host, ex-billing software owner/developer/support staff. Recent lurker.

Its almost pointless as ads tend to get buried within 24 hours here. I know over at whd forums (where I moderate when I have time) they have a limit of 10 lines and only one ad per 14 days. No one ever reads the rules and of course always abuses the 10 line rule so time is usually spent removing threads or editing.
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999