hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Other Forums : Web Hosting Lounge : How to keep stray cats off your porch?

Forum Jump

How to keep stray cats off your porch?

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Lounge Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
Semi-Retired

How to keep stray cats off your porch?

OK -- Here's my problem...and hopefully someone can help me out with a solution here. I've got 2 cats of my own (1 male, 1 female, both are fixed). But for some reason, they still attract a ton of stray cats onto my back deck. It irritates me because it's mainly the neighbors cats, who aren't fixed, and they spray.

So, does anyone have ideas for getting rid of pesky strays/neighbors cats? I've found that coating the edges of the deck with pepper spray does the trick for a few days, but hoping there are more economical choices (as OC spray isn't cheap ).

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Master

Hire a dog! If you need 24/7 coverage, hire several dogs. You may consider outsourcing to Indian dogs as well, they are more affordable

Equinix Secaucus NY2 and NY4 (NYC Metro)

Old
Semi-Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by FHDave
Hire a dog!
But I don't like dogs They require too much work to maintain them. Cats don't need to be taken outside to goto the bathroom...and they don't smell (Unless they spray)

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Master

hand your neighbor an estimate for construction to repair your deck to remove the smelll and lay the onus back to who it belongs to.

This is one reason I hate stray cats. I love cats. but people that just let them run perpetuate this kind of problem.

Old
Semi-Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-places
This is one reason I hate stray cats. I love cats. but people that just let them run perpetuate this kind of problem.
Same. My cats go outside, but they spend their time in the wooded area behind the house. My neighbors don't really care either -- even if we did want to get them to pay up, you know how the expression goes: "Can't get blood out of a stone."

Old
Web Hosting Master

true. I guess the only thing to do would be take it in your own hands.

This is a tough one for me. Because my home is pretty important to me, as I'm sure yours is. I'd be calling animal services every single time it happened. maybe pressure them.

man, sorry for the problem you have.

Old
Semi-Retired

Quote:
I'd be calling animal services every single time it happened. maybe pressure them.
Well, I live in a very small city. We don't have animal control here. If you have an animal problem, you call the police. And their solution (taking it to the shelter to be killed) is not one I'm willing to take. There has to be something that you can put around the deck to keep them out.

Like I said -- spraying the edges with pepper spray has worked charms. It keeps the strays away and for some reason my own cats aren't affected by it. But, 10% pepper spray can kill a cat if they get close to it within 15 minutes of spraying it, and it washes away in the rain.

Do moth balls work or is that just in gardens?

Old
Web Hosting Master

Supposedly mothballs working is a myth. but I've never tried it.

But if something like pepper spray works that might be the best bet. I am really surprised that worked.

Old
Semi-Retired

Quote:
But if something like pepper spray works that might be the best bet. I am really surprised that worked.
It only works for a couple days -- I guess it's the smell that keeps them away? It does smell pretty bad and interferes with your breathing. (I've been sprayed a couple times during training lol)

Old
Community Leader

Get rid of your current cats and the strays might go away

Old
Community Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon-e-mouse
Get rid of your current cats and the strays might go away
Don't listen to her! She's a mouse!!

Bringing you PicResize.com (More than 30 million pictures resized since 2005) and DrPic.com (Advanced AJAX image editor)

Old
Web Hosting Master

Anything you do is likely going to irritate your current cats. Have you considered making them indoor cats first?

I've always found a hose to be pretty effective at getting rid of unwanted critters (furry or otherwise) in your backyard. If you can nail them out of nowhere (aka unseen) you may produce an air of paranoia around your place (making them unwilling to return in fear that you're hiding in the shadows). Pressure washers (from a safe distance [15'+], dont want to kill the poor cats), or super soakers are equally effective.

I've heard that sprinkling paprika and other strong spices on the ground can drive away racoons (as they groom their paws constantly, and apparently this seriously irrirates them), however I'm not too sure how well it'd work on cats, especially if yours are amongst the victims.

http://www.prioritycolo.com

Old
Invented the Internet

We used to have a problem with stray cats and raccoons getting into our garbage. I started dumping bleach all around the garbage cans and that did the trick. Again, its one of those things you have to maintain...but at 99 cents a jug, its a lot cheaper than pepper spray.

--Tina

Old
is useless

Heres one... and its cheap.

Bowl of ethylene glycol antifreeze.

I dont hate cats, but I sure as hell hate when they all tear into the garbage, and I have to dedicate 30-40 mins to pick it all up because its scattered everywhere. Management hasnt taken any action since they havent "hurt anyone", and animal control will only do something if/when you catch one. Which is fine, because I WILL start catching them...

I'm lucky enough to have access to some cages, and SOON I'll be trapping the 20-30 different cats thats running around the neighborhood. Figure 3 cages, and 30 cats.... 10-15 days worth of calls to animal control. They'll get the point eventually.

Anyway, I think your best course of action would to weigh out the options of "just dealing with them", or taking 2 other alternatives... Buy a trapping cage, drive out to somewhere in the middle of nowhere, and release. If you do this to a cat, it will become a feral animal over time, a dog will less likely survive! However, this may be illegal in your area (like it is where I live)... OR, you can take the final alternative, with the cage, and trapping them and calling animal control and let them deal with it.

However, some of the other things help on case-by-case basis but in my experience there will always be one that will want it bad enough. Bleach, moth-balls, sticky paper, etc. They work most of the time, but are high maintence.

So in the end, you have these options...

* Deal with it. (The animal will still live, but be an annoyance)
* Trap and release. (at your expense of course)
* Let police/animal control deal with it.
* Try the safe home remedies, but have to keep on top of it.

Hope this helps a bit...

Old
Web Hosting Master

Cayenne pepper sprinkled around the yard works for me.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Website Shows How Metadata Can be Used and Abused by Plotting Out 1 Million Cat Photos Blog 2014-07-23 12:38:59
Cloud Mindshare: Offering Neural Networks as a Service Web Hosting News 2014-05-09 12:40:17
Web Host Milesweb Launches Dedicated Server Hosting in India Web Hosting News 2012-12-31 10:53:51