what kind of host for this project?

I am a teacher and I would like to create a site to put the several activities I am involved in: Didactics, publication, archives, etc Therefore I would use the scripts of Fantastico: for ex. Mambo, Joomla, Wordpress, Tikiwiki, Moodle, etc Mambo and Joomla will be used for the main structure, and the other software would be linked to it. The average number of visitors (all registered users) will be around to 150 - 200 (max.). Most users will visit an average of 10 pages per day of the main site. Every user will have their own blog. There will be a forum, chat, mailing list, newsletter, groupwork, etc I will also use other open source software, etc.. I would like to offer audio and video, podcasts, etc (short, obviously) also for download. I would like password protected areas. I would like the site to be expandable at ease (more space, bandwith, etc.).

The users would all be in Italy.(would this slow down the service?)

What features (bandwidth, number and size of databases, disk space, CPU usage, etc. etc.) would the host have to have? Any other tips or guidelines I should follow when choosing the host?

I would really appreciate ANY feedback from you, as this would be my first hosting experience and I would like to start it off in the best of ways.

clapton

Summary of project:
    Mambo/Joomla: approximately 50 - 100 pages (texts, photo, audio, video, podcasts, archives, links, etc)
    Wordpress: approximately 200 blogs
    Moodle: short courses, with multimedial elements
    Tikiwiki: approximately 100 pages
    Mailing list, newsletter: max 200/250 adressees.
    Forum, Chat, etc: max. 200/250 users
    Other open source, always for approximately 200/250 users.

most linux based hosts can offer. You can try hostgator or steadfast. Also have you checked drupal? drupal (one application) includes cms, forum, blogs etc.

Thanks hcn for your reply.

Yes, I know that a cms would also give me some of the other features I need. But - and I would be grateful for any help with this decision - I thought that maybe it would be better to offer the full features of an independent blog software, etc. so that the blogging experience would be more stimulating. Unfortunately I don't know the features of Drupal's blogs, nor of Mambo/Joomla's - I was wondering, do these cms support multiple blogs (I need about 200 blogs at a go)? I was also going for Mambo because of its supposed compatibility with Moodle.

A question: would the location of the host's servers affect the speed of my site? I mean, I'm thinking of going for a USa or UK host, but my users are all local in Italy. Would there be any significant slowdowns?

Another question: How many databases (and how big?) would I have to ask the host for if I want to use Mambo + wordpress + Tikiwiki (or whatever wiki) + Moodle?

Thanks a lot.

Another question: How many databases (and how big?) would I have to ask the host for if I want to use Mambo + wordpress + Tikiwiki (or whatever wiki) + Moodle?
    Fantastico requires a separate database for each script.

A question: would the location of the host's servers affect the speed of my site? I mean, I'm thinking of going for a USa or UK host, but my users are all local in Italy. Would there be any significant slowdowns?
    It can do. It is a good idea to contact potential hosts and ask for a file to download on the server you would be placed on so you can get an idea of speeds at different times of the day.
    TJR Networks - Quality web hosting for everyday people...

It really depends on how much visitors are those 200 blogs gonna bring in. I recommend a VPS or a dedicated server.
    Also take a look at lifetype (multi user blogging platform)
    Got Fused?

I'd recommend you to use VPS for your project because it gives you possibility to use it so as you want and controll it at any time.
    Yes, the location of your server influences the speed of downloading of your websites.

I would recommend to go with a entry level dedicated server or atleast a VPS. If you can manage your servers, then I would recommend theplanet (servermatrix). Else go with Hostgator.

hello claptonirep m actually you can check here the major cms and decide for yourself http://opensourcecms.com/ remember that because you are talking about 200 blogs, a unique cms will be more easy to maintain than 200 pieces of independent software, and if you use one cms you will only need one database, if you need 200 blogs you will need 200 databases (there are exceptions like http://lyceum.ibiblio.org/ for wordpress).

Questions:
    > the location of the server is mostly irrelevant, it's much more important to have a solid host than a close by host.

> One for each piece of software, if you install 2 wordpress you will need 2 databases, if you install 4 moodle you will need 4 databases, the size, it depends, but you should ask your host what is the maximum size of the database, since most shared hosts do have hard limits to the size.

For what you want you should be checking the vps/servers, sure some shared hosts might handle it, but that would depend more in your ability to streamline your setup (like one software with only the essential so everything runs fast and smooth) than on the specs of each host.

Hope i was helpful

Thanks maccrazy, siropel, dannyy, john551, fiend. Really appreciate your suggestions. I'm slowly putting the pieces together. One basic requirement is also the cost, and I suppose that rules out the dedicated servers, I think. I suppose, now that I know that each blog on an independent platform would need its own database, that also rules out wordpress.

So, basically, I would be asking a host for the following (?):
    1)a database for the mambo/ joomla / or whatever softaware I would be using as my core site (and this software and database would then also give me the blogs I would need)
    2)a database for Moodle
    3)a database for the Wiki (is Tikiwiki a viable solution? It also has blogs - any ideas?)

Question: Am I right in saying that the core site (Mambo etc. ) would have to have a bigger database than the others?

Question: How does the VPS thing work? (I understand VPS as Virtual SErver - is that correct?)

Thanks for explaining things to me.

c

Question: How does the VPS thing work? (I understand VPS as Virtual SErver - is that correct?)
    A VPS is a virtual private server. It basically works like a very small dedicated server, and you usually have to administer it yourself. However, I honestly think you should start with shared hosting and if you hit CPU restrictions etc, then look at VPS systems and dedicated systems. I think they would be an overkill to begin with.
    TJR Networks - Quality web hosting for everyday people...