Finding local network computers

Hey guys,

I am currently staying in the dorms at my college, and I noticed the other day that I could see iTunes playlists of other people on my floor. Based off this I am assuming that my floor is on the same subnetwork of sorts.

I was wondering if there is a way (I have mac OS X) to see a list of the computers on the network and their shared folders (of the windows computers). I have a TV tuner and I have some Colbert Reports, Seinfelds, etc. That a few people want to watch, and I would like to send them over the network to their computer. I am novice to OS X, having recently transferred from the world of windows over the summer, and I have no idea how to find the network computers.

Good thing about OS X is that it comes with a neat feature that will automatically find other Macs (and some devices, like printers) on the network for you.

Just try browsing the network from Finder, and see what you come up with. In the left hand pane of Finder, there should be a network icon, if there isn't, its in the menu of the Finder. Finder is always running on OSX, so if you don't have any apps open, just click on the menu to see the Network option, and use that to browse the net.

To share files over a network, you would have to enable file sharing on your mac. I don't have the mac with me right now, but its an option in your control panel to enable file sharing. Do that, and your Windows networked PCs will be able to see your files (don't worry, you can still set permissions on who can see what).

Since OS X actually is based on Unix, you still have access to the unix command line tools (there is also a nice gui version of these tools in the Applications folder). The reason I mention this is that one way to find all nodes on a network (anything, not just computers, but printers, etc) is to send a ping to the broadcast address of your network, and see who responds.

To ping the broadcast address, open a Terminal window (hit apple+space to bring up the spotlight search, type Terminal, and the click on the first thing in Applications that it finds).

Then, type ping -b your broadcast address and see what IP addresses respond.
    In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.
    If you feel like it, you can read my blog
    Signal > Noise

Thanks for the response. What is my broadcast IP? I went into my network folder and have my IP, and the router IP. Also I went to ping and it says the -b is an invalid flag.