hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting : Need New Host With 100% Uptime

Forum Jump

Need New Host With 100% Uptime

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-22-2006, 09:44 PM

Need New Host With 100% Uptime

I just left dreamhost shared hosting and got a vps server over at powervps. While the speed of the vps is much better than the speed of my old shared, my sites still experience downtime on a regular basis.

I am currently looking for a server company that offers the following:

- 100% uptime or something very close
- Speed
- Managed Environment
- 10 - 20 GB of storage
- Cheap dedicated ip addresses (around $4/per)

I have no preference towards any type of standard such as vps, dedicated, etc and am open to suggestions.

My budget is around $100-$140 / month.

Got any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2006, 09:51 PM
Speaks his mind

A dedicated server?
I'd suggest www.layeredtech.com and use www.platinumservermanagement.com as your management company.

If it's VPS, I'd have to suggest jaguarpc, no particular reason, I just see good things about them.

Hope I helped.

Old 09-22-2006, 09:55 PM

My main concern is the uptime at this point. Is there any guarentee on these companies uptimes or is your recommendation based off past experience?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2006, 09:56 PM
Retired Moderator

We manage a VPS at powervps for one of our clients. The current uptime is 106 days.

The question is, is your downtime being caused by PowerVPS or by lack of proper management? No offence intended by that question.

The reason I ask, is because no matter how good of a server you get... The server will only be as good as the person managing it.

With that in mind, Acunett provides good server management solutions and the prices are pretty good.

cPanel + Fantastico, PHP4 or PHP5
HostRefugee.com - See our current promotions

Old 09-22-2006, 10:00 PM
Web Hosting Master

Would you be willing to go back down to Shared Hosting? or you wanna stick with servers with root access?

Old 09-22-2006, 10:17 PM
Disabled

I would reccomend rackspace. They guarantee 100% Uptime

Old 09-22-2006, 10:21 PM
Web Hosting Master

The problem with rackspace is, they are overkill in space for what he is requesting. And they most likely will be far out of his budget. What you are better off doing is going for a dedicated server or VPS.

Old 09-22-2006, 10:28 PM
Speaks his mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by derived321
My main concern is the uptime at this point. Is there any guarentee on these companies uptimes or is your recommendation based off past experience?

thanks
I've used layeredtech and PSM. Both 10/10. I was with LT for 3 months and I moved because I wanted to change datacenter and go into colocation. But LT is great. PSM is great too.

But shared hosting has fairly nice uptime in some companies, some have true 99.9% + you just need to find the right company.

Old 09-22-2006, 10:31 PM

hostrefugee - i admit to not having a lot of server management experience. i currently have the LINUX PLESK POWER-1 option from powervps. where exactly can i find that information on my servers uptime (ex. you know you've been up 106 days). are there any resources you would recommend that would help me manage my vps better or do you think switching to a more managed environment for someone like me new to hosting would be better?

Old 09-22-2006, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derived321
hostrefugee - i admit to not having a lot of server management experience. i currently have the LINUX PLESK POWER-1 option from powervps. where exactly can i find that information on my servers uptime (ex. you know you've been up 106 days). are there any resources you would recommend that would help me manage my vps better or do you think switching to a more managed environment for someone like me new to hosting would be better?
You should use a service like hyperspin or siteuptime (...hyperspin is a lot more reliable than siteuptime).

Old 09-22-2006, 11:04 PM
Retired Moderator

Login to SSH and type: top

In the top-left corner you will see the server/vps uptime.

That will not account for services failing, like apache, mysql... There are other ways to find out individual service uptime.

There are several ways to keep your server running smoothly. I don't have links to tutorials, but here is some software you should look into.

System Integrity Monitor (SIM) - Will monitor services such as apache and restart them if they fail.

Process Resource Monitor (PRM) - Will monitor processes and kill any that go over the configured limits.

eAccelerator - Provides PHP Caching

Optimizing apache and MySQL is also very important. When properly optimized for your available resources, they will run much more efficiently.

cPanel + Fantastico, PHP4 or PHP5
HostRefugee.com - See our current promotions

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Uptime Institute Symposium 2014 Web Hosting Events 2014-04-09 11:24:20
Host Color Listing 2014-04-20 09:32:39
Host Color Listing 2014-04-20 09:32:39
Host Color Listing 2014-04-20 09:32:40
Joomla Hosting Study Shows Speed, Uptime Top Selling Points of a Web Host Web Hosting News 2012-11-07 15:06:36