Lightbulb Credit Card Authentication

Elance.com is an example of a web site that authenticates a user's credit card by charging any new credit card two separate amounts under $2.00. The user can later call their bank to find out the charges that have been made, and enter those two numeric amounts into Elance.com's authentication page. This will confirm that a credit card belongs to the user who is using it. My question does Elance do such a thing without being billed a 2-3% rate for each of those authentication transactions? If so, any idea how I could do the same with my site?

No, they get billed for those transaction as they are no different then any other kind of transaction.
    John Conde
    Merchant Account Services
    | IT'S HERE: Merchant Accounts 101 : Learn Everything About Merchant Accounts

Quote Originally Posted by peopledeal
    Elance.com is an example of a web site that authenticates a user's credit card by charging any new credit card two separate amounts under $2.00. The user can later call their bank to find out the charges that have been made, and enter those two numeric amounts into Elance.com's authentication page. This will confirm that a credit card belongs to the user who is using it. My question does Elance do such a thing without being billed a 2-3% rate for each of those authentication transactions? If so, any idea how I could do the same with my site?
    Elance's way of user authentication is old, expensive, and time consuming. There is another way to authenticate a user called Verified by Visa/Mastercard SecureCode which will allow you not only to authenticate cardholder but also sell/deliver your product/service right on without waiting 2-3 days for confirmation.

I'd definitely agree with Leksus that VBV/MSC is a much better way to handle that.

Regarding ELance, it is possible to do an auth-only sale which would then never be settled and hypothetically, the user could contact their bank to see what the temp auth amounts were for.

However, this process is cumbersome, subject to a lot of problems and I believe also technically in violation of VISA/MC regs in terms of authoring a card without any intent to ever settle it.
    CDGcommerce.com - Trusted Merchant Account Solutions since 1998
    Many thousands of successful, growing businesses benefit from our expertise every day. You can, too!
    We help merchants to eliminate gateway costs, reduce & mitigate fraud and achieve streamlined PCI compliance.
    Learn more today at http://www.cdgcommerce.com - we look forward to helping your business grow!