apache 2.2 vs apache 1.3 review for forum owners

Hello,

Just want share my take on apache 2.2 vs. apache 1.3 for forum owners.

Platform:
    dual 265 opteron
    8gb ram
    raid 1 sata 250 GB
    RHEL 4 32bit
    php 4.4.4 w/ eac.

keepalive off
    start,min, max servers 15 10 20

1. I found that my average load on ap2.2 was .6 with peaks at 2. However, on ap1.3 the average load was .2 with peaks at .6 .

No backups were done during test period.

2. Memory usage was about 400-600MB (ap22) and 600-800mb (ap13)

3. Page generation times were faster on apache 2.2 (.0017s) vs apache 1.3 (.0019s), forum threads (.0248 vs. .0265).

Just want to hear from other members of what their take is on these two server versions.

I have not tried apache 2.0 . I wonder if there really any difference (maybe results in between).

My site has gzip on and has mod_rewrite. There are not much images. Site has 80K-90K page impressions a day.

THanks.

Apache 2.2 > Apache *

(from my experience)
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

what makes apache 2.2 better?

Quote Originally Posted by HeadNucleon
    what makes apache 2.2 better?
    Simply from the benchmarks that I've done, Apache 2.2 delivers a lot better performance and can stand up better to heavy traffic.

Also in the server that you described, I think the bottleneck is I/O.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

forget apache, lighttpd is the way! its simply faster

What kernel are you using?
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

20 sounds like a very low number of process if you're using Apache 1.3. Are you sure that people weren't getting blocked out of your site during that time? Did you monitor thread usage?

yes, monitored the threads. It was like 8-9 proc/s .

I'd wish apache 2.2 did better, but this is what I saw. I was expecting 2.2 to be lower in load....which was something I did not expect.

I was thinking about lighttpd but I think its a little dificult to install. I prob have to try it on a test server.

The real question is if apache2.2 is better in high traffic, why is load sig. higher than apache 1.3

Why turn off keepalive?
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

lower load with keepalive

my kernel is 2.6.15.7

Quote Originally Posted by HeadNucleon
    lower load with keepalive

my kernel is 2.6.15.7

upgrade it to v2.6.18 , its realy fast

How much of a performance increase did you get with that kernel ? We've not noticed any difference between the kernels on our high traffic sites. Are you removing anything special or adding anything special in the kernel ?
    Last edited by ImZan; 09-23-2006 at 04:49 AM.
    BLUETRIDENT.NET - Reliable Shared, Reseller and Dedicated Hosting Solutions Provider
    Managed Hosting with Personal Service
    Highspeed Content Servers, Lighttpd, Ruby on Rails, Cluster Servers & Rich Web Application Hosting

Im curious to know the same answer. I doubt upgrading to 2.16 or 2.18 will yield a significant performance change.

Also, output buffering on 2.2/2.x is messed up. It does not work with the flush() command properly. Using this command in 1.3x and 2.x yields different results.

Depends on what drivers you are using. I have noticed some changes with certian scsi drivers.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

@HeadNucleon : Are you implicitly flushing things after the page is sent ? Because that is actually wasteful of resources from our tests. The default behaviour is much better for performance.

@Steven: The systems I've tested with the higher kernels - they were generally ide or sata, so I don't think I would have had that much more speed increase to begin with. Do you have any anecdotal info on how much the increases were ?
    BLUETRIDENT.NET - Reliable Shared, Reseller and Dedicated Hosting Solutions Provider
    Highspeed Content Servers, Lighttpd, Ruby on Rails, Cluster Servers & Rich Web Application Hosting

THe flush was called in the IPB script. I commented the flush out because it could cause issues in the forum code (only for 2.2). Like I said, the code does not act the same what the function is called....

The flush function was called only during registration (when generating reg code)

Which version of IPB is that ? We're running the latest - never noticed any issues with the system. We still have people signing up. What method are you using for the verifications ? GD or the basic ?