Do hosting companies allow SSH?

Do hosting companies allow SSH? I have seen that a lot of companies do not do that but IMO without SSH it is very difficult to manage a professional site. What do you think about it?

If you really need a SSH, you can look at the provider www.dotable.com for solutions...I need other provider that can provide you the SSH access upon request.
    tanfwc

I have some experience with asmallorange.com and they are really wonderful with their customer service. They are flexible with server settings and SSH access.

Thanks for the recommendation, I will give them a try.

IMO it depends on your requirements and what is that you want to accomplish using SSH. If you are an expert with *nix OS, then you might find it very easy to manage SSH but for people who do not have any *nix knowledge? Companies do not want to take any risk providing additional support when users delete their files.. then there are certain security risks involved as well .. etc..
    Web Hosting Blog - An exclusive blog on Web Hosting Industry and hosting related topics.

Yes I know that SSH is powerful but then *nix experts can do some real good user management. IMO all companies should give SSH access as it comes as a blessing for a programmer. From mysqldump to file permissions, from creating softlinks to grep, debugging e.t.c

Threre are many hosts that offer ssh access.
    Even low budget hosts may have that feature (like DreamHost).

But we can do almost everything without ssh, using a simple script
    (written in Perl/PHP/Python/Shell script, ...) that issues shell command and
    shows the result (including stderr output, in some cases).

Actually, I prefer such script over ssh access because I can manage my sites
    at any location (without any need for having a machine with ssh capability).

However, some tasks are much easier with ssh, for sure.

Make sure you check with your provider or future provider as each host has their policies about SSH. One host I was with years ago stated on their web site that SSH was not allowed. But in a online chat with support they stated that they will allow it on a per request basis.

Yes even my current company allowed SSH on request.
    Last edited by sourav; 09-22-2006 at 03:32 PM.

If you contact the host, most will probably allow you to have ssh. Those that state that they don't on their website will most likely make an exception if you tell them the reason.
    TwisterHost Web Hosting
    cPanel Linux Hosting PHP MySQL SSH
    Specializing in Shared and Shoutcast hosting!

thanks, I think I should always have a personal talk with the site managers for SSH.

Some do and some dont, I personally donot allow SSH access on my servers as they can be a very dangerous tool for hackers.

Watch out for what kind of shell you get access to from SSH. You will probably wind up with jailshell when you really want bash.

Quote Originally Posted by HIU-J
    Some do and some dont, I personally donot allow SSH access on my servers as they can be a very dangerous tool for hackers.
    This has been talk thousands of time in this forum, but if you don't know how to secure your server, to have SSH disable makes no difference, you can run phpshell or most of the commands through PHP/Perl.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Yes alot do now-adays

SSH is required to tar the cgi-bin directory preserving permissions. That is an excellent utility to back up scripts. There are other things that must be done with ssh and it is not a good idea trusting on support to do them

yes, and commonly given a jailed shell (ssh) account.

Quote Originally Posted by drgdiaz
    SSH is required to tar the cgi-bin directory preserving permissions. That is an excellent utility to back up scripts. There are other things that must be done with ssh and it is not a good idea trusting on support to do them
    You can tar ANY directory you can access with your permission
    using simple script.

Example:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    echo
    exec 2>&1
    tar -cvf cgi-bin.tar  /path-to-cgi-bin
    You don't need ssh for a simple command like tar, at all.

For interactive commands that can't be controled otherwise,
    you may need ssh, or it's easier with ssh.
    Even these commands can be used with simple scripts like
    "expect" or other "pty" modules in several common langualges.

So, it's nicer to have ssh in some cases, but you can live without it, most of the time.

CGI-Telnet is also useful in situations where you don't have SSH but need to do a simple command or two