Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Domain Stolen?

Domain Stolen?

Something most bizzare has happened to me regarding the domain name I use for my business. This morning I noticed that my domain name was bringing up a strange coming soon page, I logged into my eNom account to see if somehow the nameservers for this domain had been changed, the domain was NOT even in the domain list. I then did a whois lookup at whois.sc and I realize that the domain name is listed as being registered to someone else and namecheap is now listed as the registrar.

I am tearing my hair out over this as this is the primary domain name for my business. I have contacted eNom and am waiting for a response. Has this happened to anyone before? Any advice on what to do?
    Vertivo :: Affordable Web Hosting Packages and Reseller Plans
    We offer affordable and reliable Linux-based Reseller and Shared Hosting Plans. Accepted: All major Credit Cards and PayPal.
      0 Not allowed!

Wow! That's scary!
      0 Not allowed!

WoW!

This happened even without the domain expiring?
    Ajay D'Souza

WebberZone
      0 Not allowed!

We have had domains stolen from our customers as well when they didn't have their domains locked. I can not stress enough the importance of transfer-locking your domain!!

If someone really wants it, they can make up fake letterhead, a fake story, and contact almost any registrar. The registrar will most likely email you to let you know your domain name is being transferred out, but if you miss the email you are screwed.

I hope you can get your name back, but if not, you learned your lesson: always transfer-lock all your domains.
    eVerity.com
    Celebrating 9 years of customer service. Domain names, shared/semi-dedicated/dedicated hosting, SSL certificates, merchant accounts, reseller options, and referral program, since July 2000.
      0 Not allowed!

You might need a historical whois record for your domain (if I have guessed the name correctly):

Code:
    Using 24 day old cached answer (or, you can get fresh results).
    Hiding E-mail address (you can get results with the E-mail address).

=-=-=-=

Domain name: vertivo.com

Administrative Contact:

Monique Powell ********@vertivo.com)
       +1.8763721820
       Fax: 
       1601 NW 97th Avenue
       Miami, FL 33172
       US

Technical Contact:

+1.8763721820
       Fax: 
       1601 NW 97th Avenue
       Miami, FL 33172
       US

Registrant Contact:

+1.8763721820
       Fax: 
       1601 NW 97th Avenue
       Miami, FL 33172
       US

Name Servers:
       ns1.vertivo.com
       ns2.vertivo.com

Creation date: 31 May 2006 01:16:47
    Expiration date: 31 May 2007 01:16:47
    Sorry, the result is w/o emails as this is how dnsstuff.com answers whois quiries.

I wish you all the best...
    Respect My Authoritah! - Eric Cartman (a friend of mine).
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Vertivo
    Something most bizzare has happened to me regarding the domain name I use for my business. This morning I noticed that my domain name was bringing up a strange coming soon page, I logged into my eNom account to see if somehow the nameservers for this domain had been changed, the domain was NOT even in the domain list. I then did a whois lookup at whois.sc and I realize that the domain name is listed as being registered to someone else and namecheap is now listed as the registrar.

I am tearing my hair out over this as this is the primary domain name for my business. I have contacted eNom and am waiting for a response. Has this happened to anyone before? Any advice on what to do?
    Vertivo,

I had a look at the account the domain was transferred to with us and all signs point to a hijacking from our investigation.

That being said, I've gone ahead and locked the account and the domain itself until enom get's back to you and us.

I also reverted the dns back for you.

For those interested, the person who requested the transfer to us has had multiple accounts with us shut down for credit card fraud.
    Richard Kirkendall
    NameCheap.com
      0 Not allowed!

Richard, can I just say I'm really impressed with your response? Its great that you responded so quickly and were so helpful. Lots of brownie points for NameCheap.
    eVerity.com
    Celebrating 9 years of customer service. Domain names, shared/semi-dedicated/dedicated hosting, SSL certificates, merchant accounts, reseller options, and referral program, since July 2000.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Webberzone
    WoW!

This happened even without the domain expiring?
    Yes, my name wasnt set to expire until May 2007.
    We offer affordable and reliable Linux-based Reseller and Shared Hosting Plans. Accepted: All major Credit Cards and PayPal.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by enetwork
    Vertivo,

I had a look at the account the domain was transferred to with us and all signs point to a hijacking from our investigation.

That being said, I've gone ahead and locked the account and the domain itself until enom get's back to you and us.

For those interested, the person who requested the transfer to us has had multiple accounts with us shut down for credit card fraud.
    Hi,

Thanks alot for the interest you've shown and your assistance. Im very impressed, I wasnt expecting it. I appreciate you looking into it and I do hope enom gets back to us soon.
      0 Not allowed!

@ enetwork

There's just one thing, I noticed you pointed the nameservers to my server for me (very grateful), Im actually using ns5.vertivo.com and ns6.vertivo.com though, so if you could change that in the meanwhile I would really appreciate it. Thanks again.
      0 Not allowed!

Vertivo,

Wow, talk about an awesome service! Definately a company I want to do business with! Great job.
      0 Not allowed!

@ enetwork

There's just one thing, I noticed you pointed the nameservers to my server for me (very grateful), Im actually using ns5.vertivo.com and ns6.vertivo.com though, so if you could change that in the meanwhile I would really appreciate it. Thanks again.

No problem, consider it done.

Regarding enom, try emailing TransferDisputes@enom.com. We just need confirmation from them and we'll push the domain back.

We'll watch the domain for you in the meantime.
    Last edited by enetwork; 09-22-2006 at 07:04 PM.
    Richard Kirkendall
    NameCheap.com
      0 Not allowed!

Just curious how was the domain stolen? Did you have it unlocked?
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bob
    Just curious how was the domain stolen? Did you have it unlocked?
    Apparently. I realize that eNom doesnt seem to lock the domains by default the way GoDaddy does, you have to change the setting manually.
      0 Not allowed!

Apparently. I realize that eNom doesnt seem to lock the domains by default the way GoDaddy does, you have to change the setting manually.
    You (admin contact, to be exact) still had to approve the transfer. Have you?
    Respect My Authoritah! - Eric Cartman (a friend of mine).
      0 Not allowed!

Vertivo,

NameCheap.com

Good work... that is great... good luck V....
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!
      0 Not allowed!

I think only the registrar who I think is enom can actually do anything to get the name back to you
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Marsh
    You (admin contact, to be exact) still had to approve the transfer. Have you?
    No I didnt.
      0 Not allowed!

I think it might be worthwhile for someone with a Domain Tools account to do a historical whois lookup for you, to see how the thief stole the domain.

FWIW, eNom didn't lift a finger to help me in a similar situation. They just refused to admit any fault at all. We've seen a few similar instances of this at eNom recently. You are lucky to have the domain end up at NameCheap, imho.
    Signature Under Construction.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by stu2
    FWIW, eNom didn't lift a finger to help me in a similar situation. They just refused to admit any fault at all. We've seen a few similar instances of this at eNom recently. You are lucky to have the domain end up at NameCheap, imho.
    So I realize, eNom just point blank told me that tech support cannot assist me in this issue and techically whoever is listed as the registrar now owns the domain name. She did tell me to email the transfer disputes section as Richard from namecheap also suggested so I did that, waiting on a response from them now.
      0 Not allowed!

MMmmm.. I love namecheap.
      0 Not allowed!

No problem, consider it done.

Regarding enom, try emailing TransferDisputes@enom.com. We just need confirmation from them and we'll push the domain back.

We'll watch the domain for you in the meantime.
    Hi Richard,

I was trying to send you a PM with this info but its seems you have disallowed them. Here's the message I got from eNom today:

"If Namecheap can login to their eNom reseller account and ask us to "reverse" the transfer, I can move the domain back to your account. The request must come from Namecheap, however, so please ask them to submit a support request and reference this case number 10184299."

Please see what you can do for me. Thanks. Its greatly appreciated.
      0 Not allowed!

@enetwork - Has anything happened with this? Thanks.
      0 Not allowed!

If a domain is transfered can an owner claim weeks later that it was done without their permission and have it returned to them somehow. ?
      0 Not allowed!

Vertivo, I would recommend you contact their support in case Richard doesn't get back here for a while. Just reference this thread and the info that eNom gave ya.
    -Steven | Cooini, LLC
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" -Aristotle
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast