firewall protection options

Hey there:

I'm going to lease a windows dedicated server for database app hosting, email, etc. I currently run my own box on site and, of course, it's under constant siege from the hacking community. I want as much protection as I can get in a dedicated solution without making it unaffordable.

After way too many hours overthinking a provider (and much research here), I'm on the fence between Layeredtech and Softlayer (opinions between the two welcome). Layered offers a $99 cisco appliance. Softlayer offers some network wide dos/intrusion protections. Or I can come up with some software solution for protecting my box.

I guess I'm looking for experience/opinions on how other folks have approached this issue and whether I would be insane for considering a software solution to ease the monthly financial pain. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

<<Signature to be setup in your profile>>
    Last edited by anon-e-mouse; 03-18-2007 at 02:06 AM.

Using a software based firewall is quite feasible. The idea is to block off all ports and monitor proactively for any intrusions to your system.

However, if there is a massive DOS attack to your box, the software solution may not be able to hold its own. I think you could get started with a software solution and that may be all you need. If you run into any serious DOS attacks on your system, you can always purchase a hardware based firewall.
    _Chris

Thanks for your input. Any recommendations on a software firewall?

If you are sure that the hackers community will be atatcking you often then a better idea can be to move to a managed provider,to one of TOP providers like ISPrime,Natnet,Rackspace
    They will,the same time,protect you from a reasonable DDoS attacks
    Best Regards,
    Namesniper

Quote Originally Posted by dulatoag
    Hey there:

I'm going to lease a windows dedicated server for database app hosting, email, etc. I currently run my own box on site and, of course, it's under constant siege from the hacking community. I want as much protection as I can get in a dedicated solution without making it unaffordable.
    Whats a constant seige? A firewall won't block XSS attacks:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XSS

After way too many hours overthinking a provider (and much research here), I'm on the fence between Layeredtech and Softlayer (opinions between the two welcome). Layered offers a $99 cisco appliance. Softlayer offers some network wide dos/intrusion protections. Or I can come up with some software solution for protecting my box.
    You should investigate more into what Softlayer has setup for dos/intrusion protections. Try and get specifics.

If you're under an Dos or dDoS attack, then you can curb most attacks with a managed firewall that doesnt saturate the link from your server to the cabinet switch. If the saturation does occur, then you would need assistance from the data center.

I guess I'm looking for experience/opinions on how other folks have approached this issue and whether I would be insane for considering a software solution to ease the monthly financial pain. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

<<Signature to be setup in your profile>>
    Last edited by anon-e-mouse; 03-18-2007 at 02:07 AM.