Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1

    firewall protection options

    Hey there:

    I'm going to lease a windows dedicated server for database app hosting, email, etc. I currently run my own box on site and, of course, it's under constant siege from the hacking community. I want as much protection as I can get in a dedicated solution without making it unaffordable.

    After way too many hours overthinking a provider (and much research here), I'm on the fence between Layeredtech and Softlayer (opinions between the two welcome). Layered offers a $99 cisco appliance. Softlayer offers some network wide dos/intrusion protections. Or I can come up with some software solution for protecting my box.

    I guess I'm looking for experience/opinions on how other folks have approached this issue and whether I would be insane for considering a software solution to ease the monthly financial pain. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

    <<Signature to be setup in your profile>>
    Last edited by anon-e-mouse; 03-18-2007 at 02:06 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    41
    Using a software based firewall is quite feasible. The idea is to block off all ports and monitor proactively for any intrusions to your system.

    However, if there is a massive DOS attack to your box, the software solution may not be able to hold its own. I think you could get started with a software solution and that may be all you need. If you run into any serious DOS attacks on your system, you can always purchase a hardware based firewall.
    _Chris

  3. #3
    Thanks for your input. Any recommendations on a software firewall?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,005
    If you are sure that the hackers community will be atatcking you often then a better idea can be to move to a managed provider,to one of TOP providers like ISPrime,Natnet,Rackspace
    They will,the same time,protect you from a reasonable DDoS attacks
    Best Regards,
    Namesniper

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by dulatoag
    Hey there:

    I'm going to lease a windows dedicated server for database app hosting, email, etc. I currently run my own box on site and, of course, it's under constant siege from the hacking community. I want as much protection as I can get in a dedicated solution without making it unaffordable.
    Whats a constant seige? A firewall won't block XSS attacks:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XSS

    Quote Originally Posted by dulatoag
    After way too many hours overthinking a provider (and much research here), I'm on the fence between Layeredtech and Softlayer (opinions between the two welcome). Layered offers a $99 cisco appliance. Softlayer offers some network wide dos/intrusion protections. Or I can come up with some software solution for protecting my box.
    You should investigate more into what Softlayer has setup for dos/intrusion protections. Try and get specifics.

    If you're under an Dos or dDoS attack, then you can curb most attacks with a managed firewall that doesnt saturate the link from your server to the cabinet switch. If the saturation does occur, then you would need assistance from the data center.

    Quote Originally Posted by dulatoag
    I guess I'm looking for experience/opinions on how other folks have approached this issue and whether I would be insane for considering a software solution to ease the monthly financial pain. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

    <<Signature to be setup in your profile>>
    Last edited by anon-e-mouse; 03-18-2007 at 02:07 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •