Superbservers.net, iWeb.ca or an alternative?

I have narrowed down my dedicated server search for servers to superbservers.net and iweb.ca.

Before making a final decision, I will like help on the folloing points:

1. Are there people on this forum with recent experiences on both companies. Please compare the two on the areas below and give me your honest views

- Service
    - Security
    - Server reliability
    - Server uptime
    - Speed
    - Total value for money

2. Are there better dedicated server alternatives to these two for my situation?
    - My budget is US$ 300/month maximum
    - I need a solution that allows me to use ASP, ASP.NET and PHP/MySQL
    - I will be doing video streaming
    - Maximum redundancy
    - Speed

I need the server completely setup.

Thanks.

Manny1

Superbservers are best... !!! no doubt on it. I have had 5 hosting companies switched over before I settled down with them finally.
    - Akash Kava
    My Blog
    Web Atoms JS

Thanks Akash. I will appreciate if you can tell me why you consider Superbservers the best. Thanks once more.

Been there with them for 3 years

Superb has the best price, no doubt on it, their support is good, i have been with them since last 3 years. I have more then 13 servers with them. Last time I needed some help with virtual machine setup, however even its still out of their support scope, almost everyone of support personel helped me to figure out solution. They are best in support, Jose Castro is one of the best sales manager i have ever seen. He deals with you on personal basis.
    Last edited by Akash.Kava; 09-23-2006 at 12:47 PM.
    - Akash Kava
    My Blog
    Web Atoms JS

Quote Originally Posted by Akash.Kava
    Superb has the best price, no doubt on it, their support is good, i have been with them since last 3 years. I have more then 13 servers with them. Last time I needed some help with virtual machine setup, however even its still out of their support scope, almost everyone of support personel helped me to figure out solution. They are best in support, Jose Castro is one of the best sales manager i have ever seen. He deals with you on personal basis.
    just want to say.. clam down man ! calm down .. ok .. ok i believed you
    hey thread starter, now you have to go for superb.net

+1 for Superb. (I just can't say anything about iweb.ca becuase we are not their reseller).

Within a three years now, Superb team always show very friendly support (even that their servers is self-managed), always try be a best of best with all aspects of dedicated server business. i do not remember any great hardware issue with them, failed hardware (2 or may be 3 hdd, 1-2 memory stick, and 1 fan within a above period) was replaced quickly. Network uptime i think is near to be ideal and connectivity to Europe and Russia is one of the best in US.
    Regards your request i see only one minuse in Superb, their B/W cost is not very cheap. For example their upgrade for unmetered 10 Mbps port is 375 USD. But you get what you paid. On market you may see many offers with 10 Mbps or 100 Mbps servers with less cost, but just think about quality of this type unmetered traffic. How many packet losses your visitors will get?

PS. For redudancy and low total cost of traffic i can recommend you clusterize your site and setup it on 2-3 servers may be with less power but with more traffic and also redudancy. Of course, it is only common recommendation, because i haven't any details about what video streaming techinology you will use.

Hope that this help you.
    TK Rustelekom LLC Dedicated server since 2002, RIPE NCC member, LIR

Superb like most US dedi providers uses tower 'white boxes', which means low-end. Some of their boxex comes with 512 ram, but actualy they have
    video integrated which borrows 8-16MB or more of system ram. It's not the superb problem, many hosters use dirt cheap noname (I mean NON SERVER) hardware.
    Below spec of one of my servers at superb:
    sic-200501***
    MINI-TOWER /W 250W PS (inwin case)
    GIGA-BYTE 8I845GV W/ VGA & LAN
    CEL 2.4D
    512MB PC3200 DDR
    CPU FAN
    HITACHI 80GB 7200 RPM IDE HDD
    FDD
    As you can see it has vide integrated. And what the hell, why it has FDD installed?

Now I'm migrating all my servers to real RAC server with real server hardware. It's 10-20% expencive, but it's costs its money.

Quote Originally Posted by python_l
    Superb like most US dedi providers uses tower 'white boxes', which means low-end. Some of their boxex comes with 512 ram, but actualy they have
    video integrated which borrows 8-16MB or more of system ram. It's not the superb problem, many hosters use dirt cheap noname (I mean NON SERVER) hardware.
    Below spec of one of my servers at superb:
    sic-200501***
    MINI-TOWER /W 250W PS (inwin case)
    GIGA-BYTE 8I845GV W/ VGA & LAN
    CEL 2.4D
    512MB PC3200 DDR
    CPU FAN
    HITACHI 80GB 7200 RPM IDE HDD
    FDD
    As you can see it has vide integrated. And what the hell, why it has FDD installed?

Now I'm migrating all my servers to real RAC server with real server hardware. It's 10-20% expencive, but it's costs its money.
    You are absolutely right regarding the motherboards, chassis, etc. for SuperbServers. But, as you say, that is the nature of the low-cost, consumer-level server business. That service and hardware (servers) are not meant for any serious, mission-critical business use, but rather are meant for the price-sensitive consumer market. We simply deliver what the market wants: the lowest possible price servers at the highest possible performance & reliability level.

As I am sure you know, for the higher-end market, we offer our SuperbEnterprise line of servers, which are based on server motherboards, rackmount chassis, SCSI drives, and always the top-name motherboards, controllers, SCSI & RAID controllers and RAM. The hardware at SuperbEnterprise is considerably more expensive than for SuperbServers, as it is all the best hardware available in the market. That is the service that is used for mission critical applications by many high-profile businesses, financial organizations, and international and governmental organization clients.. that is a whole different type of customer base there than for the low-cost servers. It is two entirely different markets.

Most dedicated server providers will offer both no-name hardware or tower servers and rackmount server hardware as higher end offers. It all depends of the customer's budget.
    :: Martin Leclair
    :: Linkedin Profile

Thank you for your contribution

I see you have all been very objective and helpful.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I do not have any experiences with dedicated servers. I need a company that is able to respond very fast to support tickets. I need the system completely setup to start with.

With the above information in mind, what do you recommend?

In addition to the information above, I need to mention that my project requires support for ASP & PHP, MySQL and SQL; simply put, the popular power of both worlds. With a max budget of about $300/month, how far do you think I can go?

We've dealt with iWeb for come close to 2 years now, their network and DC is solid, the customer service is top notch and support is very knowledgable. They also use whiteboxes for servers like everyone else.

During business hours iWeb response has been within 5-10 minutes.
    Reliability • Performance • Integrity

If you're willing to spend up to $300 I would go with a higher end company such as Steadfast.net, Voxrox etc...

I used Superb before and wasn't impressed at all

Quote Originally Posted by vigor
    I used Superb before and wasn't impressed at all
    I think may be you had a hard luck. I have used superb for 12months and never had any problems except one power outage last week.

They even considered my request for being good client which shows that they are ready to even change their rules at times to make client happy, when they think its right.
    24Shells in Business Since 2003 - AS55081
    Dedicated Servers, High Bandwidth Servers
    @24Shells - 24shells.net

I used superbservers for a few months while I was testing out different locations for game machines.

Setup was fast, never had to use their support, so I can't vouch for that.

But overall, I was happy with superb.

I say go for ezzi or Layeredtech .. they are both very good

I tried iWeb. They were friendly and polite. Response time was slower than I expected because I was in need over a weekend and they seem to respond faster during week days. I guess I ordered the server at the wrong time. Since I am new to dedicated servers, I ended up really frustrated not being able to do much myself. I was also under pressure to meet a deadline. I finally asked for a refund. They have followed through with their promise of 30 days money back guarantee.

I ended up ordering a server with SoftLayer and signing up for server management with Platinumservermanagement. I am extremely satisfied and impressed by the level of professional support and quality of service I am getting from this combination.

I thank you all for taking the time to share your experiences. You have been very helpful.

Best wishes with your business.

Quote Originally Posted by manny1
    I have narrowed down my dedicated server search for servers to superbservers.net and iweb.ca.

Before making a final decision, I will like help on the folloing points:

1. Are there people on this forum with recent experiences on both companies. Please compare the two on the areas below and give me your honest views

- Service
    - Security
    - Server reliability
    - Server uptime
    - Speed
    - Total value for money

2. Are there better dedicated server alternatives to these two for my situation?
    - My budget is US$ 300/month maximum
    - I need a solution that allows me to use ASP, ASP.NET and PHP/MySQL
    - I will be doing video streaming
    - Maximum redundancy
    - Speed

I need the server completely setup.

Thanks.

Manny1
    I have been looking for lowbudget servers and reviewed few high end servers. Since your budget is $300, I would suggest you go far softlayer. They have good servers, ram and support. If not theplanet , or steadfast.
    Silicon
    jiltin.com

Silicon2006,

Thanks. I adjusted my project approach so that I can use Linux instead of Windows. I then signed up for a server with SoftLayer and arranged server management through Platinumservermanagement. I am pleased with the present combination.

Thanks once more.

Manny.