Uptime / Server Monitoring Software - Self Monitoring ?
I'm after some windows software that I can install and run on a local pc here on our network that will monitor our VPS's uptime. I have found a plethora of websites on google, but can't seem to find any standalone software that I can install on a computer here that will periodically check that my server is up.
If all you are looking for is a very simple record of uptime then you could write the following easily:
1. script to make an HTP request to the server - if you get the response you expect record date=now, result=1 in a database otherwise record date=now, result=0
2. cron-job to call the script every minute
3. you can then run simple reports off that database table (uptime = the result of SELECT AVG(*) FROM checktable WHERE datefield BETWEEN <date> AND <date>)
The main problem with this though, is that you are not just checking the machines uptime - any of the following can cause a failed request:
* the machine down
* the machine running far too slowly (overloaded, may as well be down)
* network down at that end
* network slow/conjested at that end
* the monitoring machine's network link down
* the monitoring machine's network slow/conjested at that end
* your ISP's network having trouble
* any network in between you and the server being down or slow
* a number of other things....
To get a reasonably accurate uptime measurement you really need to test from multiple geographically distinct locations - at this point things get a bit more complicated.