Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    2,194

    Tweaked Firefox Lets You Surf Internet Without a Trace

    Tweaked Firefox Lets You Surf Internet Without a Trace

    A tweaked version of Firefox that makes Web browsing anonymous has been released by a group of privacy-minded coders.

    Every few minutes, the Torpark browser causes a computer's IP address to appear to change. IP addresses are numeric identifier given to computers on the Internet. The number can be used along with other data to potentially track down a user, as many Web sites keep track of IP addresses.



    How true is this and why would anybody need to be anonymous?
    Last edited by adorno; 09-22-2006 at 12:04 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    chica go go
    Posts
    11,858
    Quote Originally Posted by adorno
    Tweaked Firefox Lets You Surf Internet Without a Trace

    A tweaked version of Firefox that makes Web browsing anonymous has been released by a group of privacy-minded coders.

    Every few minutes, the Torpark browser causes a computer's IP address to appear to change. IP addresses are numeric identifier given to computers on the Internet. The number can be used along with other data to potentially track down a user, as many Web sites keep track of IP addresses.



    How true is this and why would anybody need to be anonymous?
    Well, it's based on tor, so it's going to do a good job hiding your true source. However, if one of those tor proxies does log client ip addresses, you're not completely anonymous. It is pretty secure though.

    As for why people want to be anonymous, everyone has their own reason. Kind of like driving. Some people want to go driving to go get some burgers. Some people want to go driving so they can run over some people.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    13,277
    Being anonymous is the best way!! No one wants people sniffing thier packets,etc.......





    Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    682
    Quote Originally Posted by ub3r
    Well, it's based on tor, so it's going to do a good job hiding your true source. However, if one of those tor proxies does log client ip addresses, you're not completely anonymous.
    From the IP address, they won't know whether you originated the traffic or if it's just passing through. Browser plugins like Java that might make connections outside of Tor would be a problem though, so would timing attacks if both your incoming and outgoing traffic is being sniffed.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Palma de Mallorca, Spain
    Posts
    259
    Yeah, and sadly, anonymous surfing also makes a lot harder to deal with e-commerce fraud. Scammers know this too.

    You have to wait for a judge that asks a proxy owner to reveal IP addresses that passed through. Freedom is also for the badguys

    Regards,

    Juan

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    813
    Quote Originally Posted by juangake
    Yeah, and sadly, anonymous surfing also makes a lot harder to deal with e-commerce fraud. Scammers know this too.

    You have to wait for a judge that asks a proxy owner to reveal IP addresses that passed through. Freedom is also for the badguys

    Regards,

    Juan
    If they are logging IPs

    G
    PutFile.io Disrupting traditional file hosting.
    █ Signup Early and enjoy Unlimited space/bandwidth for your files hosting, Forever!
    █ No Ads.
    █ No Countdowns.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Under Your Skin
    Posts
    5,875
    Thanks adorno... I've been looking for something like this for a while... I dropped it into one of my virtual PCs just in case it contained "bad-ware."
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

  8. #8
    thanks for the info :-)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •