modem installation

When I got home from college this summer I had to go back to dail up (it was like quitting heroin). I grabbed a modem from another comp and installed it. Afterwards I noticed my connection was kinda' funky. MSN is getting weird connection errors, when dialing up it often times out, pages time out... I'm wondering if my modem isn't compatible with my motherboard, or maybe I shouldn't have jammed it in and something is damaged.. Does anybody think that installing the modem hardware wrong would cause this kind of behavior?

Not off hand I think you’re just experiencing what most dialup users do now a days discos. Only thing you might try is a new modem driver for your modem. Also it may be a defective modem and slowly going bad so you may need to replace it.

I would check the driver as well. While anything is possible, you could have damaged the card/motherboard, I doubt it. Unless you slammed it in with great force... then maybe.

It could be a number of things:

1) bad hardware (mobo or card)
    2) Cable from computer to wall
    3) wire in house
    4) I've also seen this when it rains... water in the dmark (ouside connection from tele company to your inside wiring).
    5) Too many connections... try another number.
    6) too many drivers installed or wrong driver for hardware...
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

What is the connection speed in which you connect?

Also make sure the modem is a data modem and not just a fax modem. Do any other computers have issues conecting at this location?
    Jonathan VanSchaack
    Managing Director
    Remly Communications - Total Web Solutions
    Web Hosting, Dedicated Servers, Boston Colocation, Reseller Hosting, VDS/VPS, Web Design, and Full Server Management

remcom: It connects at about 21 bps, I think the other comp is usually around 32. Its a data/fax.

hekwu: I will try to make my way down your list and see which it may be.
    kga's answer seems plausible. That it just comes with the territory.
    This isn't a huge problem as the set up is only temporary, but thanks everyone. This seems like a good forum.

one thing you could do is call up MSN and give them the connection errors you see. They can probably help
    Jonathan VanSchaack
    Managing Director
    Remly Communications - Total Web Solutions
    Web Hosting, Dedicated Servers, Boston Colocation, Reseller Hosting, VDS/VPS, Web Design, and Full Server Management