Hybrid View

Need ISP with C++ compiler access and CPanel

Hey maybe I'm old-fashioned but I like to write my CGI-BIN programs in C++. I have a couple of websites that I've had for years and they're on ISPs that run Linux/Apache and give me shell access / SSH and let me compile my programs with the Gnu Gcc compilers (like G++).

So far, so good. But I'd like to move to an ISP that uses CPanel and Fantastico, which I like very much and have used for a number of sites I've set up that require no CGI-BIN stuff. But not one of these ISPs will let me compile my programs as I like. Some flat out forbid shell access or at least strongly discourage it. Of those that do allow shell access and have the G++ compiler available, not one has a working installation - can't even compile a Hello, World program. It doesn't find the <iostream> include file is why. Then I hit a dead-end as their tech support hasn't a clue about GCC compilers.

I suspect that the CPanel/Fantastico guys are installing a canned setup in which the GCC compilers are not set up right.

SO my big question is this: does anyone know of a web hosting company that sells shared hosting with CPanel/Fantastico and that allows shell access and has a working compiler setup?

-From a frustrated old programmer

I doubt any shared host is going to give you shell and compiler access. You should look at getting a small VPS and you can set that up however you like.

CPanel's standard shell (jailshell) doesn't give you a working compiler. A host that knows what they're doing (and is willing to trust you) should be able to set you up with a real shell - perhaps try asking a few of the smaller hosts. Site5 used to offer this on request but I wouldn't expect it these days...
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

They still do. dreamhost as well. Altough you need to put a request.

I just did requested a compile bash for site5 to compile Trac.

* Thanks!

Thanks foobic - that's just what I suspected! jailshell sounds like a fitting name.

Thanks Renard - I will check out site5.

Appreciate the help.

This page of the CPanel/WHM docs explains it:

http://www.cpanel.net/docs/whm/Manage_Shell_Access.htm